It's a long read so I apologize upfront. My FTR story and build (with pics) so that I may have a place of reference. Thank you

DoingOK

My Indian motorcycle journey started on June 1st, 2021 when I wanted to see what the new 2022 Indian FTR R Carbon looked like in person. At the time, I didn’t realize that they were relatively hard to find so I wasn’t that surprised to see two of them on the showroom floor. There was a lot to like about the bike. Great specs along with that cool American style really got my attention. You see, I hadn’t been on a motorcycle in about fifteen years since I last rode and then sold my Ducati Monster. I retired after serving 20 years in the US Naval fast attack submarine force in 2003 and relinquished myself to the daily grind of office work and helping raise my two young children. Life was good and I was content.

Unfortunately for me, I was diagnosed with Stage IV head/neck cancer last winter and proceeded to undergo radiation and chemotherapy throughout the rest of the winter and well into the spring. It was hell as most could imagine and I ended up losing 75lbs during this process. Having several friends with motorcycles, I kind of re-evaluated what I was doing with what little free time I had and realized that I truly missed riding a motorcycle. So, a trip was made over to the Indian dealership to check out this new 2022 FTR. Of course, I got the typical dealership spiel of “it won’t last long” so let us know if you want it real soon. I thanked them and went on home to mull the decision. My wife was like “let’s just go get it for you so you can enjoy it. It’ll keep your mind busy and get you back out on two wheels enjoying the road.” My wife bought it for me the next day. I’ll have to say everyone at the dealership was fantastic and the transaction was smooth and professional. Sure enough, both bikes were sold that week. A great experience all around.

Like most things in my life, I can never leave anything alone and I always want to improve or personalize anything I have. I’m a perfectionist to a fault and some would say borderline (or worse) ocd with everything I do. It is both a blessing and a curse. Before the first day of ownership was over, I had removed the license plate/taillight bracket assembly and removed the stock baffles. Instant improvement and it just snowballed from there. Late night internet searches, reviews of numerous brands/products along with multiple FTR forums kept me busy while keeping my mind off of my medical condition. I refer to it as my “two-wheeled therapy approach” and there was a lot of work ahead for me.

So, after 16 weeks of ownership while riding, modifying and meeting new Indian friends I have a bike that I am almost done with. It’ll always be “almost done” as I think of new ideas or see examples of modifications/changes that I really like. I’ve had multiple requests via social media and in person asking about various modifications I’ve made to the bike and where I’ve resourced those items. I’m going to try and break down the modifications (both small and large) into a functional list. Here we go:

Cosmetic Changes include but not limited to:
  • Carbon fiber tank covers, rear seat cowl, front fender, chainguard and radiator guards
  • Additional set of custom gold leaf/pinstriped carbon fiber tank covers, rear seat cowl and front fender for show events
  • Custom led lighting kit with remote control feature
  • Custom G2 Red Fire epoxy caliper paint for front and rear Brembo brakes
  • Strauss carbon fiber front brake ducts modified to fit
  • Stainless steel mesh incorporated behind the carbon fiber front headlight nacelle and rear subframe supports with associated led lighting
  • Billet aluminum abs sensor wiring support
  • Tungsten Cerakoted headers and exhaust piping
  • Tungsten Cerakoted rear subframe supports
  • Satin black Cerakoted front and side heat shields
  • Custom stainless steel billet ‘Indian FTR’ tank badging powdercoated in Prism Gold
  • Prism Gold powdercoated front and rear wheels with titanium gold caps
  • All matte carbon fiber exhaust shields refinished in gloss clearcoat
  • Satin black powdercoated axle blocks and rear caliper mount

Hardware changes include but not limited to:
  • Gold anodized titanium hardware replacing factory steel hardware in multiple areas with safety-wired rear sprocket and caliper bolts
  • Gilles rearsets with titanium hardware conversion
  • Galfer HH sintered front & rear brake pads
  • Puig dark tint windscreen with custom mount
  • Rizoma 4D mirrors
  • RSD grips
  • Raximo adjustable brake & clutch levers with matching handguards
  • Rizoma front brake reservoir
  • Rizoma handlebar brace
  • RSD handlebar risers with gauge relocation kit
  • R&G front fork sliders, frame sliders, heel guards, lifting spools and rear axle sliders
  • Titanium front sprocket nut with custom carbon fiber FTR grill
  • PSR oil cap with 14K gold connecting chain
  • PSR rear brake reservoir
  • DID gold 525 X-chain
  • 43T rear sprocket
  • Akrapovic high mount conversion
  • Wunderkind front turn signals
  • Tank Machine rear signals
  • Moore Speed Racing tail tidy with carbon fiber plate frame
  • Ends Cuoio custom leather side-mount bag
  • Evotech carbon fiber chain/toe guard
Often times challenging, but it has been a very rewarding experience working on this beautiful piece of machinery and making it my own. I’ve also enjoyed the challenge of researching and hunting down parts with the subsequent hope that they would come in on time during these uncertain COVID times of today. The hours spent working on this bike have been a great mental diversion for me as I continue to move forward in beating this medical nuisance. Indian has built a fantastic bike that I enjoy working on and enjoy riding even more. Thank you. Rich

The day I brought her home:

FreshBike-001.jpg

What she looks like today:

CCFTR4.jpg

CCFTR2.jpg

Last edited:

edgelett

Great write up mate, thanks for sharing.
(ps - the version of your bike in the pics here is the one I like)

mark.lb

DoingOK: That is an awesome build. Your FTR looks fantastic. I hope your health is stabilized now. (I also struggle with health issues - heart) Life is short. I can’t imagine not owning/riding motorcycles!

Niddam

Hi, outstanding this unique perfect composition of your FTR. Yes I can feel with you and know exactly what you mean, that one is emotionally fixed with such a bike and other things around him very well can fade.
I get mine in December and even this time to wait is very top heavy. Looking for a suitable helmet, preferably also once in carbon, possibly a flip-up helmet? AGV has there a gem that I have already tried on, but I have to brake my inner have wants, as I tell myself I have to test the helmet while driving, and on the FTR.
With the accessory parts, I have it a little easier, since I have a very good connection to the company Wunderkind, I will be patient until then and we use the winter to design and install some new FTR modifications....

Hey DoingOK wish you above all health happiness and contentment :love:

DoingOK

Hi, outstanding this unique perfect composition of your FTR. Yes I can feel with you and know exactly what you mean, that one is emotionally fixed with such a bike and other things around him very well can fade.
I get mine in December and even this time to wait is very top heavy. Looking for a suitable helmet, preferably also once in carbon, possibly a flip-up helmet? AGV has there a gem that I have already tried on, but I have to brake my inner have wants, as I tell myself I have to test the helmet while driving, and on the FTR.
With the accessory parts, I have it a little easier, since I have a very good connection to the company Wunderkind, I will be patient until then and we use the winter to design and install some new FTR modifications....

Hey DoingOK wish you above all health happiness and contentment :love:
That is awesome. Wunderkind makes some fantastic products. What I have found over the last few months is that some of the best aftermarket products for this American bike are actually from other countries. France, Germany, Italy, etc. have some very nice products. Thank you and good luck on your future build.