Just picked up a 2019 FTR in North Dallas

K9F

.....................and now I've added an FTR to my stable. I'm loving this combo.

A hearty welcome from the UK. I know where you're at as I too have a 'similar combo' and together they scratch all the itches I have and all my boxes remain ticked. Dependent on who you are riding with and the mood of the moment you have a great choice of which bike to ride as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

IMG_1422.jpg

Ross Rockton

A hearty welcome from the UK. I know where you're at as I too have a 'similar combo' and together they scratch all the itches I have and all my boxes remain ticked. Dependent on who you are riding with and the mood of the moment you have a great choice of which bike to ride as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

View attachment 4133
Beautiful Machines right there. That rear tire is exactly what I'm trying to achieve once I get my hands on the new Cheif. That's later down the road. I can't seem to let my Scout Bobber go. She is too much fun. To ride around they city on.

Reactions: K9F

Timps27

Until you ride your FTR around the city ;)

FWIW I’m sort of the opposite end, I have a Triumph Tiger and a CRF450X beside my FTR, always been more off road and touring. The FTR is so much fun to ride it has me considering adding a Chief at some point for a lower slung cruising option.

Ross Rockton

I am Hoping my local dealership will get one in I can take out for a day. They have two Indian dealerships in my area that have super awesome staffs. They let you spend real time on the new models so you can see if it's a great fit for you. I am waiting on the Chief Bobber 116. I think that will be my next logical choice in their lineup. I'm a former sport biker so baby steps for now. 😆 This is my Suzuki GSX-S1000 that I am finally getting rid of. That will get me one step closer to making my decision on that new Cheif.

Attachments

• GOPR3729_1598323497147-01.jpeg
    GOPR3729_1598323497147-01.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 10

Rich.ftr

View attachment 4133
Hey, are those avon st spirits on the ftr? What do you think of them as im considering a set soon? Many thanks rich.

K9F

Hi Rich, buy 'em and try 'em would be my advice. They'll probably only be on for a few thousand miles before you can move onto another set? Living where I live and Avon being the only motorcycle tire manufacturer in Britain the choice was easy. The Spirits are a huge improvement over stock (there are many other tires that are just as good I am sure) and 'confidence inspiring' as no matter how hard I keep pushing them within my own capabilities the rear remains firmly planted. There is always a trade off grip against longevity but I ditched the stock ones after 3500 miles due to rear wheel simply spinning when leaning on the gas and the odd unexpected occurrence in the wet or damp. I personally think they are a great tire manufacturer and have been in the game for many a year, so much so I ordered some Cobras that are sat in my garage due to imminently replace the Metzeler rear Dunlop front on my other steed as I have heard good things about them as a touring class of tire.

IMG_1866.jpg

Rich.ftr

Great , many thanks.. I like the look of the spirits.. Probably go that way.. I like the looks of the light off road tyres but corner grip is the issue... Pirelli str, metz karoo street , Michelin anakee, conti rocks, oh and avon trailrider if i remember) are on the short list for the appearance / some fairly decent road performance. Cheers.

K9F

No worries! To me most of the so called 'performance' tires look more or less the same. Avons are very easy to get over here and I have had a long and trusted history using the brand. I thought the DT3's looked cool as polar bear poo but performance wise they were seriously lacking IMHO. I never ever go for looks when it comes to choosing tires personally but recommendations on performance and sometimes longevity which the latter has become less important over time.

Rich.ftr

Thanks.. Mileage is not important for me too, im not commuting on a bike and not my only bike so changing tyres every 2-3 years is fine at about 6000kms +/- is fine with me as id rather keep the rubber from getting too old. Many thanks for your replies.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

I agree about the rubber getting old. Whilst the Dunlop on the front of my other steed has plenty of tread left it is beginning to dry out and there is degradation visible as tiny cracks appearing in the depths of the tread, not worth the risk running it to end of tread life.