Larger rear sprocket.

storm42

I ride as quickly as I safely can depending on the road I'm on. Slightly aggressive in traffic, 8 or 9 tenths in the mountains, and have been riding hi-perf motorcycles since the 70s. I am a well-accomplished street rider, but not a racer.

I do understand the math relative to torque, HP and rpms.

Harleys are tractors that have been out of date for 50 years.

Ducatis are high-revving twins; the FTR is a (well) modified cruiser motor.

I don't generally ride around the street at 6000 to 8300 rpm. The vast majority of all street riders are looking for max power maybe 1% of the time. Much more than that and they wouldn't still have their license.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FTR, but my old ZRX would chew it up and spit it out everywhere but under 3.5k rpm with 39cc less displacement and thirty lbs more weight and similar gearing. And the ZRX didn't need revs, it peaked at the same revs (or slightly lower) than the FTR.
I have only had my FTR a week, but I can say that my ZRX will blow it into the weeds. Not about that though, is it?

IMG_7773.jpg

D

Deleted member 706

I'd be inclined to put a smaller sprocket on the back, but first I'd like to see the power curve. My gut feeling is that it revs high at the speed limit, hence taller gearing to drop the revs, give it longer legs and marginal improvement to fuel economy.

storm42

Haha. That thing will blow a lot of bikes into the weeds
It is a bit quick, re: sprockets, I made a mistake when ordering a new rear for this bike and ended up going 2 teeth up, lowering the gearing and shortening the wheelbase is the last thing this bike needed but I didn't notice my mistake until I road the bike, Doh. :)

Blue1

I have only had my FTR a week, but I can say that my ZRX will blow it into the weeds. Not about that though, is it?

View attachment 2145
Nice, you threw some coin at that 'rex!

I actually appreciate the suspension and brakes more than the turbo, but nothing wrong with tacking on another 30-50 hp...but I'd lose that goofy trunk, at least for pics.

Happy Dave

I replaced my rear sprocket & chain with a 46 tooth and at 90mph engine turns 5000rpm, I like it much better, I think that the engine has plenty of torque to handle higher gear ratio.

Attachments

• 20210206_204822.jpg
    20210206_204822.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

Pdiddy

Just a mechanics input. 2 teeth on the rear sprocket amounts to an 8% ratio change. 1 tooth on the front 30%.