Look Ma, no Wheels!

Zilonis

I'm currently (anxiously) waiting on the call to pick up my wheels. I ended up going with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail ii.

I found a handy tip on a different forum that helped me get the front wheel off, for those wondering. You need a 22mm Allen Socket however alternatively you can use a spark plug socket (hex end in first) and run your socket extensions in (thru the axle) from the other side of the axle to connect to the socket. From there just turn as if you're tightening to loosen it up. I have the Allen socket on order but I found that workaround and had to try it, glad it did.

Any tips for putting the front wheel back on, mainly concerning alignment of the calipers?

Torque specs, please correct me if these are wrong:
Front Axle 55ft lbs (75 Nm)
From Axle Ping fasteners (14ft lbs (19Nm)
Front caliper bolts if I need to loosen to align 26-28nm?
Rear Axle 88ft lbs

Cheers and happy riding season to all!

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_213711159.jpg
    PXL_20220414_213711159.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Zilonis

I did use the zip tie trick to set the calipers in place before torquing them.

One thing from my experience to note that may help others. There is one spacer in the front (threaded side of axle) and the exact same spacer in the back (caliper side). When I removed the wheels to bring to the shop I made sure to leave the front spacer with the axle. When I got the wheels back I somehow had a spacer in the front wheel. Weird right? At the time I didn't know there was a spacer in the rear and that ended up going with the wheels to the shop. Apparently the spacer fell out of the rear and they put in on the front which confused me for at least an hour. After pulling up some diagrams I got it figured out. One spacer on the front and one on the rear!

tsb996FTR

I had to replace a fork (right side) on my 22 carbon. When putting the wheel on - I am having issues with the wheel speed sensor (binding when I get to the final tightening-turns of with the axel). I dont recall seeing a wheel spacer (left side) - but that would make sense (now with the sensor binding when I try to mount wheel)) I cant find a diagram. Zilonis - you mentioned a spacer in your post - is this on a '22 FTR (I think there was a separate speed sensor wheel on previouos models) thx!