MotoGP

edgelett

Just watched the race, awesome win for the Beast, he's definitely got what it takes to be a future champion. would have loved to see Miller win but he fought hard and hopefully this is the start of him getting better at preserving tyres and we'll see more podiums and a win too.

Brilliant ride from Rins, good to see Suzuki being more consistently fast too.

No idea wtf is going on at Yamaha.

As for Marquez - whatever happened at the start ruined his race, and then he Rode pretty damn hard to make up the places he did. COTA is always his best track so not sure he would have made up as many places elsewhere. Hopefully this means he's truly on the mend though.

Helge

Interesting race at great COTA 👍
The beast again brilliant👏
Maybe Miller has to change his strategy in the future...remember lots of races he lead and till the end he was catched 🤔
Mysterious electronic problems with MM93 ... none explained till now .... I guess pit limiter because the Honda stammered at 60km/h😉
Looking forward to Portimao round🤓

edgelett

Maybe Miller has to change his strategy in the future...remember lots of races he lead and till the end he was catched 🤔
Mysterious electronic problems with MM93 ... none explained till now .... I guess pit limiter because the Honda stammered at 60km/h😉
Looking forward to Portimao round🤓
Yeah Miller has acknowledged he needs to get better at managing his tyres, and has changed his riding style to do this better. he led for longer and stayed on the podium so hopefully he's making progress there.
And yeah the problem for MM - they tried to say it was a fault no-one knows what it was or how it happened but I suspect it was the pit limiter due to the way it behaved.

FTR London

Only managed to watch the racing today due to other commitments. All I can say is that I take back last week's comments about Chantra. Classic Lowes luck. Delighted for Dixon, distraught for Beaubier.

Further confirmation that Marc owns COTA aside from the worse fluffed start since Lorenzo in 2014 which is being attributed to an 'alarm' which sent it batshit crazy. Certainly looked like a launch control failure or the rev limiter was engaged to me. Either that or the RCV has the fuelling of a 2019 stock Indian FTR. No question that he would have won this. Whether that means 'he's back' remains to be seen, but there were certainly some old antics in defiance of known physical laws at play again.

Great to see another Gresini win though in addition to yet again a mature and measured ride from Bastianini who once more showcased his sublime throttle control and tyre management. Impressive.

Some very tidy riding from Rins to bag second on a bike that was consistently blown to the weeds down the 'Hanger-esque' back straight.

Wayne

I went to COTA again this year and must say between COTA and the FIM they put on a good show. I was hoping for a Marquez and Miller 1 & 2 but it was not to be. Had MM not had that issue on the start he would have been right up there. It was fun watching him move towards the front.

I was hoping for a better show by the American riders in Moto 2. Beaubier setting the track record and sitting on the pole was awesome. Joe Roberts did fair at 9th and SDK DNQ'ed.

I treated myself to a first class ticket there and back. On my flight out of Austin there were many team members up front which was pretty cool. I have only been to the last two but I learn a little each time to make the next year a better experience. Next year I will rent the sound canceling head phones with the race broadcast. Being close in the main grandstand had my ears ringing and it was hard to hear the announcer as the bikes came by.

FTR London

I went to COTA again this year and must say between COTA and the FIM they put on a good show. I was hoping for a Marquez and Miller 1 & 2 but it was not to be. Had MM not had that issue on the start he would have been right up there. It was fun watching him move towards the front.

I was hoping for a better show by the American riders in Moto 2. Beaubier setting the track record and sitting on the pole was awesome. Joe Roberts did fair at 9th and SDK DNQ'ed.

I treated myself to a first class ticket there and back. On my flight out of Austin there were many team members up front which was pretty cool. I have only been to the last two but I learn a little each time to make the next year a better experience. Next year I will rent the sound canceling head phones with the race broadcast. Being close in the main grandstand had my ears ringing and it was hard to hear the announcer as the bikes came by.
I went to the inaugural race in 2013. Supposed to connect from the UK at Chicago O'Hare, but we were diverted to Indianapolis due to extreme thunderstorms. It was simply a matter of sitting it out whilst American Airlines could find a window in the weather and get us on a flight to bring us the 180 miles back to where we should have been. Problem was, during this time, people kept arriving and it was a free for all. Not shit, I was promised a flight, but whilst in the 'bathroom' (as you guys call it), our seats on the plane were gazumped by Valentino Rossi's entourage and Alvaro bloody Bautista. This particularly pissed off the guys at FTR (Edward's crew/CRT) because they hadn't waited, they were just immediately ushered through to the best seat before anyone else- a metaphor for Rossi's entire farcical career really. Eventually we did get on a flight two hours later but spend the night on the floor at O'Hare arriving in Austin a day later than planned lunchtime on the Friday. It's a great city for sure, but I miss the character, soul and pedigree of Laguna and the Monterey coastline.

Wayne

I agree with you on Laguna Seca. I live in northern California and have attended races there often. I was just in Monterey two weeks ago and it was beautiful as always. The Monterey Peninsula with its close proximity Big Sur and San Francisco make it an ideal location for an international event. Apparently and unfortunately the track no longer meets the FIMs standards. American Airlines also left me stranded in Dallas but it was on the way home and they put me up in a hotell until the next day.

FTR London

Apparently and unfortunately the track no longer meets the FIMs standards.
It was much more complex than that. However, it has just undergone a major upgrade - so that would no longer be the problem. Whilst COTA is in the equation, it's most unlikely there would ever be a return - unless of course there is a resurgence of American talent.

cupcake_mike

I went to the inaugural race in 2013. Supposed to connect from the UK at Chicago O'Hare, but we were diverted to Indianapolis due to extreme thunderstorms. It was simply a matter of sitting it out whilst American Airlines could find a window in the weather and get us on a flight to bring us the 180 miles back to where we should have been. Problem was, during this time, people kept arriving and it was a free for all. Not shit, I was promised a flight, but whilst in the 'bathroom' (as you guys call it), our seats on the plane were gazumped by Valentino Rossi's entourage and Alvaro bloody Bautista. This particularly pissed off the guys at FTR (Edward's crew/CRT) because they hadn't waited, they were just immediately ushered through to the best seat before anyone else- a metaphor for Rossi's entire farcical career really. Eventually we did get on a flight two hours later but spend the night on the floor at O'Hare arriving in Austin a day later than planned lunchtime on the Friday. It's a great city for sure, but I miss the character, soul and pedigree of Laguna and the Monterey coastline.

That's funny, my son (he was 6) and I went to the inaugural COTA MotoGP too, from KC. His first flight. We were supposed to be have a layover in Dallas but due to weather they sent us up to O'Hare and then when had a straight shot to Austin from there, I bet I was on that flight you got bumped from.

FTR London

So, MotoGP arrives back in Europe and the 'ground war begins' - as Rainey used to term it - (actually, it was Jerez, but that's up next). Turning attention to this weekend though, Portimao is such a glorious flowing circuit. Weather is looking shitty until Sunday - rain and a moderate breeze.

Quartararo's reported unhappiness about the stagnation at Yamaha has stoked paddock rumours of a switch to Suzuki, who have perhaps in part in response to this and due to his recent consistency, reaffirmed their faith in Rins.

FTR London

If there are two bikes guaranteed to work out of the box in the absence of dry time, it's the GSX-RR and the M1. Quartararo in particular always seems to have an advantage when we're forced to restore 'factory settings'. I expected the 2021 Ducatis to go better based on last year's data and last year's Tyres that Michelin brought again and to have the edge over the GP22s.

Once Fabio passed Mir, I suspected he's check out given his lap times and consistency in morning warm up. The M1 doing what it does best in Europe and on a flowing circuit. Unfortunately, with Fabio - he's at his best when he's leading a race...and that often spells a Lorezno-esque disappearing act. Inch perfect. The last time the reigning world champion won a race was the British GP last August!! Emphatic win despite all the reported discontent in the garage. Fabio is out of contract next season, Morbidelli has one year left - but how long until we see Razgatlioglu in this class? - Likely expedited straight onto a factory M1.

Really wanted Mir to stay with him. Suzuki's strength used to be tyre durability towards the end of the race. That advantage seems to have diminished this year as other factories seem to be managing this better. Not that it mattered today :confused:.

What a first lap from Rins though. Another impressive ride following a disastrous weekend that saw him on the back of the grid.

Really wanted to see Aleix take Zarco to lead the championship.

Márquez v Márquez - hilarious. All you can say really.

Championship leader going into this nursing a hand injury before the race - nasty looking off that. Out on the curb in the braking zone.

The season gets worse for Martin and Bagnaia. As talented as the former is, I'm amazed that Ducati have reportedly offered him a factory contract this early in the season. I suspect he'll be offered a 'Ducati' contract as opposed to a factory ride, probably Zarco's seat. Miller clearly too fired up this weekend at the suggestions that Bastianini or Martin will be replacing him. I could see Jackass heading back to LCR to replace the hapless Nakagami. Today didn't help his career prospects at Bolognia. Dreadful uncharacteristic move from Jack - that was never going to work, particularly since Mir is so good on the brakes.

Love the fact that one of the best corners on this circuit is named after our own late Craig Jones.

FTR London

Scary stuff in Moto 2. Beaubier, Canet, Arbolino, Fernandez, Ogura, Chantra, Lowes and Arenas amongst others all down at Turn 2 with the rain getting progressively heavier. Zonta van den Goorbergh's bike detonated like Yanagawa at Monza 98. What was terrifying is after the highside, Canet stayed on hurtling through the gravel traps towards the barriers and had to bail out. Oguru had to sidestep Lowes. All crashed riders not eligible for the restart but with the support classes now reduced to a single machine - in the haste to get back out, the risk of damage beyond cosmetic there is no other option. Not to mention the possibility of concussion. Lowes' wrist looked in a real bad way being helped out of his leathers.

Reclassification of flags following change to the rules over the winter. The rain flag - white with red cross - indicating spots of rain, but it used to be followed by the yellow flag with a red cross - also termed the 'oil flag' (diminished adhesion), but also used when rain became heavier. This can now only be displayed when there is oil or debris on track. So there was no way to indicate to the riders that the rain was heavier at that part of the circuit.

Always amazed me that Loris Capirossi of all people is part of the safety commission and race direction.

Seven lap sprint - disaster for Dixon. Lamb to the slaughter. Delighted to see Roberts' maiden win though. Is the first American win in the middle class since that nutbar Kocinski?

Last edited:

edgelett

Took me a while to get round to watching the race due to a few other commitments.
Great win from Fabio, hopefully that boosts his confidence. Great to see Aleix and Johan on the podium too, great result.
gutted for Miller, and it wouldn't have gone down well with his team either. Given the chequered past with Mir, I'm glad he went and apologised.
Jack was having a much better weekend than Pecco until that point too.
Not surprised Marc struggled with this track, puts too much pressure on his bad arm.
Glad to see Remy higher in the standings at the end too.

edgelett

Also just caught up on the Moto2 race/crash.

HOLY SHIT.

I am amazed no-one was seriously hurt. Could have easily had a person hit by a bike at high speed.

FTR London

For all the atmosphere and the great races historically, I've never really liked Jerez. Of the four Spanish rounds, I marginally prefer Catalunya whilst Valencia can get in the bin. The only one I really look forward to is Aragón.

Usual high track temperature meant greasy conditions. Obviously not an issue in Moto 3 which gave the customary close finish that we have become accustomed to. disappointed for Onchu who I wanted to disrupt the Spanish party. Great last turn pass by Guevara for the win - which has served up so much drama over the years. Great to see UK rookie Scott Ogden in a commendable 12th.

Moto 2, Lowes and Dixon both crashing out - Sam in front of the boss man Mark van der Straten and an uncharacteristically ill-judged move from Jake. Great to see the maiden win from Agora - surely destined for Nakagami's LCR seat as opposed to a Miller return. A third consecutive DNF for American Racing's Beaubier.

The weekend was always going to belong to Pecco and good to see his season finally off the blocks in addition to the first win for the GP22, but a solid 20 points in the bag for Fabio - over 27 seconds under his teammate. Martin goes from bad to worse. Incredible if the Ducati contract rumour is true, in spite of his clear talent and potential. Another highly impressive ride from Aleix, the corner speed of that bike is incredible. Aprilia now lose their concessions.

Reassuring to see that Márquez's uncanny ability to defy physics is returning. That front end save five laps from the finish may have cost him a battle for a podium place, but it'll actually do his confidence the world of good - particularly after what happened here in 2019.

Viñales continues to bewilder and frustrate.

edgelett

Reassuring to see that Márquez's uncanny ability to defy physics is returning. That front end save five laps from the finish may have cost him a battle for a podium place, but it'll actually do his confidence the world of good - particularly after what happened here in 2019.

Viñales continues to bewilder and frustrate.
yeah that save was pretty epic.
good to see him have a decent race on a track that isn't one of his favourite tracks. hopefully he's returning to form slowly but surely.
Glad to see Miller have a good strong finish too, and not drop it.

no idea what's going on with Vinales or Morbidelli. they should both be doing a lot better than they are.
Happy for Aleix though, he's showing good form and consistency.

and a great win for Pecco.

edgelett

Just found out it was Remy Gardner's winglet that flew off on lap 1, he did the whole lap with only 1 winglet which caused the aero to be all over the place and he had trouble riding the bike. Did well to finish at all!