MotoGP

FTR London

Is anybody at great COTA?
Remember a great stay in 2018:)
Went to the inaugural race in 2013. Austin is a great city and COTA is an impressive venue. Wouldn't be sad to see it go though after this year although it's preferable to Indy. The series was looking at Barber Motorsports Park some years ago which would be brilliant. None of these get close to Laguna though for the sheer character of the place and the circuit itself.

FTR London

Horrific accident in Moto 3. So fortunate that everyone walked away unscathed. Öncü looked inconsolable.

Really feel for Remy. I suspect that's the championship gone. Defending a nine point lead will be a very tall order given the form of Fernández and in view of the three circuits remaining.

The lap record at COTA stands at 2:03.5 set by Márquez....in 2014 ! That's how much this surface has been allowed to deteriorate.

If there were two circuits that a weakened Marc was still going to be imperious at, it's Sachsenring and here. Nonetheless, in view of the fact that this is such a physical track, that's an outstanding ride given the state of his shoulder. 2019 may have been peak Marc, but even when he's not 100% fit - this is the damage he can still inflict on the rest of the field. Bagnaia nine seconds behind him. By all accounts, next year's Honda is going to be a weapon too. Loved the parade lap with Nicky's flag and Rins' helmet tribute. I wonder who he was on the phone too in Parc Ferme? - HRC top brass?

Very good result for a jet lagged Quartararo - disappointing for Pecco. Needed to take points away from Fabio this weekend.

Bizarre from Jackass. Looked like he was primed for a charge. The hard selection seemed to have put paid to that. Looked like a rash and uncharacteristic move by Mir on the last lap.

Nakagami crashes early, then pulls off one of the fastest laps of the race with 5 laps to go :LOL: Classic Taka.

Ducati leading in the manufacturers championship.

edgelett

I was away camping and forgot to set the DVR to record taking in to account daylight savings.
hopefully it will be replayed this week and I'll watch it.

I honestly wasn't expecting Marquez to win one race this year let alone two given his recovery from injury. but this is one of his strongest tracks so well done.
and yeah I think that's championship pretty much sorted!

Last edited:

cupcake_mike

Except for his crashing out at COTA in 19 (where he was leading by a few seconds), I believe Marquez has never lost a MotoGP race on US soil. Pretty damn impressive.

FTR London

Probably find the whole race if you google hard enough

He won there his rookie season...It was the last year they held MotoGP at Laguna Seca, I was at the race.
I'd completely forgotten this - particularly the corkscrew cutting incident, which was very ironic given Rossi's escapades with Stoner.

cupcake_mike

I loved this from the press conference:
When asked about the pass, Rossi turned his attention to HRC team principal (and Marc Marquez' team boss) Livio Suppo. Suppo was Casey Stoner's team boss back in 2008, and had complained bitterly of Rossi's pass at the Corkscrew. "You and Stoner break my balls for two or three years about that overtake, because I cut the kerb. So what do you say about that? Have to be disqualified hey?" Rossi asked to much laughter. Not to be outdone, Suppo replied in kind: "Thanks for the question, and thanks to Marc, because after a few years, we pay you back!"

The COTA race in '13 was the first MotoGP weekend I took my son to (he was 6). He picked Marquez as the winner out of the program (I think he liked the graphics on the bike) and he has stuck with him all these years.

FTR London

From memory, Rossi won in 2008 didn't he - Stoner went down at T.11.

I recall his M1 spectacularly letting go in 2006 (I was watching outfield from Andretti hairpin). That was the year of the freak heat and the track melting at surface temperatures up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. As I recall, Vermeulen who had been leading (and had always gone well here in WSS/WSBk) encountered fuel supply problems - likely also due to the heat - and had to nurse it home to fifth. I also went in 2010 and 2011. What a glorious track and setting.

Wayne

I was fortunate enough to go to this years Moto GP. I must say I was really impressed with the track, how the event is managed and the passion of those who came from all over the world to attend. I had a great seat in row 24 in turn 15. Nothing to my left and aisle to my right. I wanted to see Marc Marquez win which he did convincingly and Jack Miler podium which he didn't. I could not believe how quickly COTA got people in to park and out after the race. I have already bought my ticket for next year. Its an expensive event since I fly from California but well worth it. Next year there will be three US riders in Moto 2 which will add to the excitement. The US will also host the '22 Motocross of Nations again at Red Bud. I went it '18 but it was a complete mud fest. Hopefully '22 will be better and the US will do better. The FIM puts on a great show. On my bucket list is to catch a race in Europe some time, preferably, France, Italy or Spain; easier to sell the trip to my wife that way.

FTR London

I was fortunate enough to go to this years Moto GP. I must say I was really impressed with the track, how the event is managed and the passion of those who came from all over the world to attend. I had a great seat in row 24 in turn 15. Nothing to my left and aisle to my right. I wanted to see Marc Marquez win which he did convincingly and Jack Miler podium which he didn't. I could not believe how quickly COTA got people in to park and out after the race. I have already bought my ticket for next year. Its an expensive event since I fly from California but well worth it. Next year there will be three US riders in Moto 2 which will add to the excitement. The US will also host the '22 Motocross of Nations again at Red Bud. I went it '18 but it was a complete mud fest. Hopefully '22 will be better and the US will do better. The FIM puts on a great show. On my bucket list is to catch a race in Europe some time, preferably, France, Italy or Spain; easier to sell the trip to my wife that way.
Le Mans is a dump - and not particularly great racing either in my opinion.

If you're considering Italy or Spain, Mugello is a mecca that every fan of bike racing should travel to if they are able - added to which it's in Tuscany. MotorLand Aragón is a great track, an incredible experience and preferable to Valencia and Jerez. Catalunya is also worth a visit with the added bonus that it's a few minutes train ride to the centre of Barcelona.

FTR London

Great ride from Foggia today to keep championship hopes alive.

Moto 2 - unbelievable turn around in Remy's fortunes. Both Moto 2 and 3 - anything could happen. The Algarve can suck in some dreadful weather from the Atlantic at this time of year.

Insane pace today from Pecco. Hate this circuit, turn 15 again - cruel. Like Miller, hard front. Yesterday was out having lunch watching FP4 on a big screen. Everytime I looked up from my plate someone had gone down. Martin in particular had a torrid weekend. Still sickening memories of Rainey's paralysis.

IMG_20211023_123951836.jpg

Congratulations to Fabio, first ever French WC and at the age of 22 the sixth youngest champion after Márquez, Spencer, Hailwood, Surtees and Stoner. Quite a list that. Six other nationalities have won the title, UK, Spain, Italy, USA, Australia, France...love this trivia question, because no one gets Gary Hocking of then, Rhodesia.

Win by default, but that was a really significant ride for Marc - right hand circuit (preferred it when it used to go left). Huge risks given that he doesn't have the physicality to save a right hand low side. Shot across the bow for next year when the shoulder is healed, particularly given that the '22 Honda is supposedly a weapon. On the other hand, the field has moved on, but nonetheless I honestly don't think he's done yet. Back to back wins and a Honda 1-2. Didn't think we'd be saying that this season.

Those dreadful canary coloured trilbies in the stands and the tacky 'grazie Vale' bikes. I appreciate what the man has done for the sport, but seriously, the sooner the yellow stain of his awful fanbase is purged from this sport the better.

edgelett

Great race, such a shame the championship fight didn't get down to the last race or two but I'm happy for Fabio - to be the first ever French world champion, particularly after last year where he almost had it nailed, is a great achievement. Ducati will be really annoyed at their tyre choice for the front I think. Sounds like the track cooled down a lot which would have played a part in that.

I know others don't like Rossi or his fans or their colour choices but I though it was a fitting tribute to an absolute legend of the sport who has accomplished some incredible feats.
I'm glad he got a top 10 finish (just) for his last Italian race.

FTR London

I know others don't like Rossi or his fans or their colour choices but I though it was a fitting tribute to an absolute legend of the sport who has accomplished some incredible feats.
I'm glad he got a top 10 finish (just) for his last Italian race.
More his fans...I'm sorry, but you don't cheer fallen riders. This happened worldwide - as if the booing of anyone with the 'audacity' to beat their hero wasn't enough. The vilification levelled at Stoner was frankly vile and the Sepang incident with Marquez was a disgrace. Regarding Valentino himself, for years he refused to condemn it. I also take issue with this nonsense that he's the greatest of all time. He really isn't. Even the playing field and remove the comparative advantage he benefited from for years and like Ago, the reality would have been very different. I'll nonetheless remember him for some remarkable races and perhaps one of the most incredible feats that I've seen trackside, Donington 2005.

edgelett

Well you're entitled to your opinion. I'm a huge Rossi fan, as is everyone in my family. I never cheer when riders crash as I know how dangerous racing is. I thought his actions in running Marquez off the track were appaling and I couldn't believe he tried to justify it. As for Stoner, I never liked him as a personality (boring in interviews, even when he won he didn't seem excited. he'd complain when getting pole position that it wasn't enough) but as a rider I always respected him for his incredible ability, particularly in getting that Ducati to turn a corner when no-one else could.

but feel free to hate me all you like.
Have a good one.

Helge

Again exciting races on a Sunday 💪
If you want to finish 1st you have to finish first.
Congrats to Fabio...he was the best and constant rider till now 👏👏 and the after race ceremony was fine.
MM93 recover better and better...will be a interesting season 2022....that´s what I want to see.
Great party and celebration of Vale´s last Misano race with a good 10th place 🤩🥳

FTR London

but feel free to hate me all you like.
Have a good one.
? At no stage did I mention 'hate' - that's a very strong word, and why would I hate you? I don't know you. I didn't suggest that you yourself cheered fallen riders simply by virtue of being a Rossi fan, simply that moronic elements of his glory hunting 'fanbase' worldwide repeatedly did - something he refused to condemn. We live in a world that is increasingly polarised and divided by social media and we really don't need it in motorcycle racing - there's no doubt that Valentino weaponised this through his following which was at points approaching dangerous levels of fanaticism. I've never understood such idol worship, and like I said, take a few minutes to dispel a few myths about his history and this nonsense about being the 'GOAT' soon falls apart.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy watching him race, nor that he doesn't belong in the pantheon of greats.