MotoGP

FTR London

wow what a race!
I thought for sure the Beast and Pecco were going to take each other out about 6 times.
So was I - or, that like Misano, Pecco was the more likely to go down, given what happened to Ogura in a similar scenario. Turn 9 was catching a lot of riders out in Moto 3 and now Ai has handed the initiative back to Fernández going back to Spain for the final round. Another great ride from Dixon.

Incredible start from Bagnaia and a demon on the brakes into turn 1. Did the business today under sustained pressure from his teammate elect. Strong ride from Fabio and although it very much favours Pecco going to Valencia with a 23 point advantage - you really never know in motorcycle racing.

As I understand it, Márquez's mission was testing this weekend given the emphasis placed on Sepang in terms of the latter. HRC wanted to glean race data and compare variables and this circuit is such as crucial pre-season test. Long game. I do agree, he is still clearly handicapped at the right hand circuits though, but the progress he has made this year is astonishing nonetheless.

FTR London

Fabio's efforts to finish 3rd with a fractured finger are commendable too.
Added to the fact that this year's M1 massively lost ground on the Ducati.

I would quite like him to do this in view of all that - particularly after Bagnaia's drink driving idiocy.

FTR London

Never liked this circuit. Four Spanish rounds? Really? Can we just replace all of them with Phillip Island?

Uncharacteristically dull Moto 3 race - which consisted of the two riders at the front. Guevara had the pace, Öncü went with him Great last lap though.

Congratulations due to Fernández, but it was Ogura's championship to lose - and he chucked it away, twice.

So Pecco takes it. First Ducati title in 15 years and the first Italian since Rossi. First Italian on an Italian bike since Agostini 50 years ago. From a 90 point deficit mid point of the season and only one win in the first seven races - 5 DNFs too. Great to see next year's teammate Bastianini congratulate him despite the fact that there's no love lost between the two. No significant pace this weekend, but he clearly struggled with feel having lost a wing in the early lap exchanges with Quartararo, but what a wonderful spirited ride from the outgoing WC. This season was like turning up to a gunfight with a water pistol. He can't wait to get his hands on that new M1 next week. Huge aero upgrade and new engine together with the arrival of the super experienced Tom O'Kane from Suzuki who worked wonders on their in-line 4. More top end, more power without compromising the smoothness and agility of the bike.

When Binder's on it he's virtually unstoppable. Tyre degradation? Brad rides it on the threads.

Absolutely brilliant by Alex Rins nonetheless, rode the perfect last lap, no way that Binder could find that sixth of a second - Sayōnara Suzuki.

Marquez defeated by illness and the Honda. He's ready to win - the bike isn't. Lot's of work for HRC over the off-season.

Miller riding so well lately - but last ride ends in the gravel. I would have loved to have seen him given another year at Ducati.

21 rounds next year and the new 'sprint races' to look forward to (or not?)

Last edited:

edgelett

Was awesome to see Rins take out the win for Suzuki's last race!
I thought for sure Fabio & Pecco would take each other out at one stage. Good to see they stayed relatively clean, riding that Ducati without the wing would have been VERY difficult.
was great to see him take the championship, well deserved though Fabio didn't give it up easlily.
Bummer to see Miller drop it, i hoped he would finish on the podium.

Looking forward to seeing what 2023 brings.

FTR London

edgelett

Pre season testing is in full swing, times are all over the place but all riders apparently hate the new tyres

as for championship predictions, I'd like to see Pecco go back to back but I suspect Marquez will win it.
would be awesome to see Marini get up there though.

Miller, sadly I think his chance at a championship is gone but hopefully he gets some wins this year.

meanwhile, here's a pic of the greatest racer to come out of Australia. They don't build them like this any more.

FB_IMG_1676583597823.jpg

R. Warshawsky

Went to Laguna Seca today as I was leaving Monterey, drove up the hill to see how things have changed over the years since I was there. No races today but the grounds seemed totally commercial, mainstream and antiseptic...

FTR London

I think these sprint races are a dreadfully ill conceived idea which will only end in tears, but they are quite the spectacle. As expected, extremely aggressive, with the Ducati riders in particular all trying to outdo one another. The Ducati package looks indomitable. It's not that it's the most powerful bike out there or the outright fastest, they are all quite evenly matched (with the exception of the M1), it's the combination of aero and electronics that gets the power down to the ground.

Another great article from my friend Austin -

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/35864864/why-f1-tech-threatens-destroy-magic-motogp

Looking forward to Jack's antics this season, although I can only feel concern when he said this weekend that you feel like you've hit the limit on the KTM, but you can ride through it. What can possibly go wrong?

The Honda is still an unruly beast that only Marc can tame. He's probably still not physically 100% yet. Also, I think there's a new chassis arriving from Kalex, so he will only get stronger

Very uncharacteristic shit move from Mir and a similarly rare error from Marini. At some of the tighter less forgiving circuits I can see this new Saturday sprint causing carnage and putting a few riders into Clinica Mobile and out for the weekend or longer, which may seriously skew the championship. Unlikely that it'll go down to the wire again while this format remains. This will only get more wild as the season progresses - thank fuck Andrea Ianonne is nowhere near this sport anymore. Shit, isn't his ban up in 2024? Some fuckwit Moto2 Team will probably pave the way for his return to the paddock. Can see it coming, particularly since lunatics like Romano Fenati are still getting signed in Moto 3. The only positive thing he's ever brought to this sport was punching Uccio in the face. Anyway, at least this new format didn't arrive last year when Darryn Binder was let loose one of these monsters.

EDIT TO ADD: Pol's terrifying crash (reaching the fence in such an unexpected place, setting aside the obvious flaws with Portimão's gravel) demonstrates that these bikes are fast becoming too fast for the circuits. The bizarre incident that claimed the life of Daijiro Kato and more recently Luis Salom, is still fresh in my memory. I mean they've taken a second and a half out of the lap record here in a single off season. And where has this all come from? - aero. The riders don't like it, it actually makes the racing more fraught and difficult and I think Rivola was proven correct on the first Friday of the season when he said the bikes are too fast for many of the circuits now. I dread Sachsenring.

Last edited:

edgelett

due to time zone difference, I didn't watch the sprint race.
will try to watch it today.

Great to see Jack doing well in Quali, looking forward to the race tonight.

edgelett

just watched the sprint race. that was insane - like a Moto3 race.
hopefully they chill a bit for the next one and there's less carnage. it's not worth missing the main race for.

chuffed for Jack though, thought he had a podium for most of that!

edgelett

well I see Marc 'bowling ball' Marquez is back.
Olivera looked really hurt. that was a bad hit.
very pleased to see this morning he received a double long lap penalty for the next race. that was all his fault.

Felt bummed for Jack but he is still working on his tyre management on the KTM. he did well though finishing 7th, right behind his teammate.
Great win by Pecco, and nice to see one of the Mooney lads in 3rd.

FTR London

Double long lap penalty for Marc - many riders insisting that it should be a race ban, but that there's the rules. Hopefully Olivera is ok. Complete pisser for Martin. Probably not going to see Pol until Le Mans at the earliest and Bastianini looks to be missing the next two with his shoulder fracture. It's a long season and I fear that it's going to be one of attrition and burn out.

Dull race, but a tremendous move by Zarco on Alex Marquez on the last lap. Good to see both KTMs up there.

Moto 2, no Ogura or Guevara. Will Canet finally get that elusive first win this year? Unfortunately for hm, Acosta had other ideas. Good to see Lowes keep it upright for once. Hopefully this will be a big year for Dixon.

Moto 3 congrats to Holgado, but horrible looking incident with Kelso post flag, who is reportedly ok.

FTR London

given the extent of his injuries, and the fact his manager said he hopes he can lead a normal life, I'll be surprised if we see him at all.
Poncharal said this -

"Pol will come back to a normal life, pretty soon. He will return to being a full-time MotoGP rider soon".

Apparently, the jaw break is the biggest problem but I would have thought that the dorsal vertebrae is the greater concern. A timeline for his return is impossible. I'm thinking Le Mans, but that may well be optimistic. Horrific accident, but he will make a full recovery and return to the sport. Others may not be so fortunate.

The aero needs to be curtailed.

FTR London

A perfect storm for Binder. I love it when his stars align. Brilliant defensive riding to ward off an equally aggressive Bezzecchi. Solid ride after last week's disappointment for Marini. Honda's season goes from bad to worse. Morbidelli - wtf?

FTR London

Bez won this in morning warm up. Pecco, another unforced error. I said last year, no one wins a title with five DNFs. I was wrong, but he wouldn't have done if the M1 hadn't been so disadvantaged. Always feel that he has a mistake in him. Another late charge by Zarco - still no backflip though. Hooray, Ducati 1, 2, 3. :sleep: Ride of the day - Fabio Quartarato.

And Honda's season goes from bad to wor... never mind. Morbidelli - wtf?

edgelett

due to time differences I won't be able to watch this till tomorrow night.
sounds interesting though