My son got a Yamaha FZ07!

Unruly Rider

To start off, my son is 16 and has been riding motorcycles since he was 14, licensed and MSF certified since he was 15. He started on a 2018 Honda Grom and has somewhat out-grown it (lack of highway speed/gear). It worked great as a learning tool and riding to and from school, but now he is ready to leave town and do some longer rides with us. A local guy was selling a lightly used 2016 Yamaha FZ07 with only 7500 miles for $5k on Facebook Marketplace. My son and I went to take a look at it about a week ago, very clean bike - fresh fluids, new tires, M4 carbon exhaust, Yoshi integrated LED tail light, Yosi LED indicators, and some shorty levers. Talked with the owner for a bit and even got a test ride around the neighborhood. We talked numbers for a little while and ultimately left without buying (strategy). My son posted his 2018 Honda Grom for sale that night, I helped and made a few ads on Craigslist and LetGo. The whole week he was bombarded with scammers and low-ball offer tire kickers, he had never dealt with these types of people... so it was a great learning lesson for him. I taught him how to recognize scammers and how to deal with non-serious buyers. Fast-forward to this past Sunday, his mom and I contacted the seller again. This time we left Zach at the house, on the way over we discussed with one-another how we could make this work out for everyone. The wife would take over the 2018 Grom (paid off already) to practice more, and the boy will work this summer to pay back the difference on the FZ07.

This was my wife's first time seeing the bike in person, and she thought it was sharp as well. I asked the seller what his bottom dollar would be cash money today... he came down to $4500. After spending the last few weeks searching all over the web, we knew this was a good deal for the mileage and condition (also no travel as it's local) - so we paid the man and I rode it back to our neighborhood. I shut the FZ off at the bottom of the street and walked it all the way back to the house, parked it out in front of the driveway. My wife waited outside with the camera rolling, I ran in and asked my son for some help outside. When Zach came out and saw the FZ07 sitting in the driveway he was in awe and disbelief. Got a video but I'll have to get it from my wife's phone. We rode around the neighborhood for the rest of the evening until I could get it added to the insurance policy the next day. My wife even rode the Grom around with us again (first time in several months). Today he rode his new bike to school for the first time. I can not wait for all the riding we are going to do this year! The Honda's top speed (65mph) always prevented him from leaving town... so this really provides more opportunities and freedom, as well as responsibilities for him.

20200301_180121.jpg20200302_170112.jpg

Max Kool

My son is so jealous (he can only ride a 50cc moped till he’s 18, and only then he needs to do multiple trainings and exams before he can level up to a full license in 4 years...)

grats!

edgelett

wow congrats! that's a beautiful looking Yammy, you did well on the price too. Like the exhaust!
He's going to have a great time on that bike. The grom is a brilliant bike to learn on too, small and nimble and a heck of a lot of fun. Glad both your son and now your wife get to enjoy it.

here, you can't get your learners permit (for either a car or a bike) until you're 16 and on your learners you are restricted to bikes with a certain power to weight ratio until you are fully licensed.
then once you pass a practical test you're on a probationary licence until you're 19 which still has restricted bikes.
I got my L's when I was in my 20's so i was only restricted for 18 months in the end.

great to see your son has had a good start with a great learning experience and good on you and your wife for helping him get such an awesome bike.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
NC used to be that way. Lucky me, my parents decided to move to pa right before my 15th bday.
BUT in pa you could get your mc permit before your drivers license. which made up for it.

FZ07 is a great bike. Send the ecu to Vcyclenut. Will get rid of the horrible throttle snatch

Unruly Rider

Here in Oklahoma you can get a motorcycle license at 14 and you are legal to ride up to 300cc. At 16 the displacement limitations are removed and you are legal to ride whatever you feel you can handle. Normal drivers license are not issued until you are 16 though, and have restrictions and limitations (9pm curfew, and only a single passenger) until 18y/o.

D

Deleted member 192

Maybe now he will stop asking random people on the street "hey man, you wanna buy a grom?"!