New tuning options from Lloydz ( Ryan ).

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
thats one of the things about buying a first gen anything, there will be some quirks to work out. Indian did change the ecu, injection, and intake on the new ones. So who knows if it will work better or not.

But this is nothing new, my last bike the FZ1, yamaha messed up the fueling on the new models so after three years of runs, they swapped the ecu mapping and made it better. did the owners of the first three model years get anything? No. Its what happens. Same went for the MT09. Same goes for the new M8 harleys.

But in the end its still a somewhat simple fix with tuning, IF there isnt an inherent issue with the bike itself.

Last edited:

TPrescott

Maybe you should tell Indian to add a tune from Ryan when the public purchase a bike.
I bought an FTR and it was a bag of shit ,sent it back and got a new one and still a bag of shit (at the moment )
Dealer will put on Dyno and try new bike when I’ve done 500 miles ( I don’t hold much hope )
why is it Indian can sell a whole load of shit then smooth out problems and sell new modified bike and leave out all the past buyers with problems.After paying out £17.500 for bike including £650 for PV3 and tune (that did not work)
end result .....anyone buying a 2019 2020 bike that wants a standard (hideous) exhaust and cat Removed won’t get that bike running good .....unless reading online chat forums first.

feel so fuckin angry ,I’ve said before I had all this shit before when I bought an MV Augusta Brutale 910R in 2006 ,fuelling was a massive negative and dangerous ,same as this FTR .Then the next model came out and all was sorted ,why is it that first owners get a shit deal.
MSR was trying to get ‘Andy‘ form Indian UK to phone ,me ,but turns out he’s a cowardly shit.
unusual times of owning a bike with all these lockdowns and such, but 2nd FTR and a year later ,still a bag of shit. I haven’t got a lot of hope for this Bike. Heard guys buying Ryan’s tune here (in UK) and still having problems.It all depends on what exhaust ,de cat set up you have.I’ve also heard that guys here happy that they bought it , but then how many fuckin tunes and PV3s have you got to buy to make this run sweet.
Its not on.
I know of K9 (through this site) a guy quite local to me that’s happy with his lot and that’s great (and he offered to help to his credit)
But why do you ferriolo bang the drum for this tuner (I am wrong side of pond) when Indian should have tunes available for someone when they decide to take off that monstrosity of an exhaust,and that’s what it’s all about.Once that cat and exhaust is off .....it’s shite.
are you on commission?
One word... emissions. :(

K9F

One word... emissions. :(

Sorry but your word is meaningless in the UK. There are currently no emission checks on motorcycles over here and that gives one free-rein to do as one wishes....at the moment, but hold on to the cat 'Justin'.......just in case!

FTRUK

Ok 😁
Just spoken to Colin at MSR ,told him how happy other owners are with tunes (K9 ) from Ryan ( one of his own guys also bought) and he knows K9 also.We just went through what’s being happening .
So decided to try the tunes from US.
Can anyone drop the phone number here so I can talk with Ryan.
also thanks again K9 for the offers and advice ,maybe see you at the Quay in the summer.

Last edited:

TPrescott

Sorry but your word is meaningless in the UK. There are currently no emission checks on motorcycles over here and that gives one free-rein to do as one wishes....at the moment, but hold on to the cat 'Justin'.......just in case!

lucky you, Euro 5 from what I hear sucks and is killing model specific production even with the big 4. In the US it's bad from a manufacturing stand point as well, this is why bikes are chocked off with cats, pipes, charcoal canisters and breathers into the intake.

K9F

I do indeed have Fuel Moto. I’ll stick this in now. It matters not one little bit which route you decide to take! They are both great!

Best bet for you would have been perhaps to try and get a refund on the £435 you spent on your PV3? I did quite a bit of research and you’d be doing very well to get it anywhere for less in the UK and that was MSR price at that time.
Me? I went with Fuel Moto and paid £319 for the PV3 with lifetime map support excluding duty and shipping. All in came in at under £550 with a K &N filter thrown into the bundle. The lifetime map support obviously negates the inconvenience of the requirement for Dynotime at £60 plus per hour too. Got sent two maps to try within 24 hours of sending them my Stk and Info files by e-mail.
Going to either Ryan or Fuelmoto is a proven well-trodden path and if neither of them can improve your experience and situation I will be surprised and then it’ll be time to move on.

Quay or Southampton Bike Night on a Thursday’s fine for me once we’re out o’ the woods!

Last edited:

FTRUK

I am getting confused , does Ryan work at Fuel moto.
with Fuel moto I thought the unit came with pre installed maps that is specifically for your bikes set up.
I then thought that if I needed to change one that my dealer could do it via email for me.
As I don’t have anything with Windows on at home.
I was nearly there in my head at getting it resolved .
what happened to buying a bike and just getting on it and riding it.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No, ryan the tuner is at LLoydz garage. FM is a totally separate competing company. Both use different methods of making tunes.

K9F

No, ryan the tuner is at LLoydz garage.........Both use different methods of making tunes.

BOTH do exactly what they say on the box, churn out excellent results and have their own fan bases founded on amazing results. You need to decide yourself geographically and by doing research which service offered may be best suited to your needs? Regardless, a much improved great running bike should be the end result! I wish you good luck and God Speed on your retuned FTR.

Last edited:

edgelett

I am getting confused , does Ryan work at Fuel moto.
with Fuel moto I thought the unit came with pre installed maps that is specifically for your bikes set up.
I then thought that if I needed to change one that my dealer could do it via email for me.
As I don’t have anything with Windows on at home.
I was nearly there in my head at getting it resolved .
what happened to buying a bike and just getting on it and riding it.
No - Ryan works at Lloydz Garage/Indian Charlotte. Fuel Moto is a completely seperate company.
My understanding is that with Fuel Moto you get a PV3 and you then need to log rides with your bike - after logging a few you contact them again and they email you the right tune for your bike.
With Ryan, you contact him and tell him your setup and he sends you the right tune for your bike. If there are issues you can contact him and ask for him to look at it, and he can send you an updated tune if required.

You say you don't have Windows, but do you have a Mac? the PV3 works on both systems it's essentially a USB device you just need to copy things to.
Otherwise I hope you trust your dealer 100% cause if you're giving either Fuel Moto or Ryan your dealers email - they will own all your tunes.

FTRUK

NOTE: The PV-3 product is designed for use with a supported Windows operating system. Support is not provided for other operating systems such as Mac OS / Apple based products.

Dont confuse me anymore !

edgelett

NOTE: The PV-3 product is designed for use with a supported Windows operating system. Support is not provided for other operating systems such as Mac OS / Apple based products.

Dont confuse me anymore !
ok - I thought I saw on FB someone had used it with a Mac but I guess not.
anyway in that case again it means 100% faith your dealer is going to be good to you cause they hold your tunes.

Max Kool

I use it with a Mac and it works. Like a usb drive.

however the pv-3 is part of a bigger eco system, the Dynojet software suite which only runs on windows. If you need to update the pv-3 firmware for instance, you need that windows computer.

K9F

For clarity: You do NOT need to log rides with Fuelmoto. You only need to do this if you are not happy with the tune(s) they send you once you have sent them your Stk and Info files having already told them your setup! After sending them logged files they will then further endeavour to get you exactly where you want to be at no extra cost but time! Sound familiar?

Hope the clear and concise explanation I sent you FTRUK diminishes your increasing confusion? The dealership as you know are trying to do their best and are trustworthy! Offer of localised assistance still stands!

JDP

Man all the troubles with the FTR is the mapping, just sent the ECU to Ryan and everything will be perfect, my bike starts up in 34 degrees and runs perfect, such a simple fix and no worries, Ryan is the MAN and will stand behind all his work

DeplorableOne

So I'm trying to figure it out. Is there a way to tell what software you have? I just bought mine and haven't had any of the issues people are reporting and I ride it every day. But I'm also planning on modifying it. It already has the akra baffles removed. Want to add the headers, but I'm concerned with the lack of tuning options. Does this mean than if I have the latest greatest updated software, which I'm sure I do, my only option is to ship my ecu in? Like that's it? I only ask since it's my only transportation. If my bike goes down I only got my chevrolegs

K9F

"Concerned at the lack of tuning options" Really???

^^NO lack of tuning options at all. Where are you getting your misinformation from? Remote tuning is available from both of the reputable tuners Ryan or Fuelmoto if you buy a PV3 from them. There is more information on this than you have time to read on both forums, do your research.

Whoever you choose to provide their tuning services you will not be disappointed in the results. Best to combine the tune and any exhaust changes you do at the same time as this will prevent you going back and forth asking and waiting for updates.

Last edited:

mark.lb

Interesting to read DeplorableOne’s first statement. “I haven’t had any of the issues people are reporting and I ride every day.”
I was beginning to think I was crazy. My FTR now has 6,500 miles. I also have not experienced any ECU tuning issue. It was 43-44*F yesterday when I took it for a ride. It started right up and ran fine. (I did let it warm up while I put my jacket, gloves and helmet on.) I run the stock exhaust with the Cat in place and the dB killers removed from the Akrapovic cans.
[I know - A tune might make it better. But it is running fine from the factory]