New tuning options from Lloydz ( Ryan ).

OldFatBasstard

So let me see if I have read this right. You're saying that if I have the AH2 software on my FTR the Dynojet PV3 tunes will not work? I ask that even though Dynojet told me straight out that the tune would load. I put the Bassani low slip on on the bike a couple weeks ago and then got my PV3. I was given two tunes from DJ and the one I chose loaded in less that five minutes. I rolled the bike outside, started it and for the first time it didn't fart halfway thru the process and throwing codes like they they were Mardi Gras beads. Why would Dynojet sell me something that wouldn't tune my bike and then lie about it?

Wayne

I just got back my ECU after Ryan performed a bench tune. I spent five hours riding in all kinds of situations yesterday and the results are amazing. I had previously loaded one of Ryan's secret sauce tunes using my PV-3 and while defiantly better than stock it wasn't what I ultimately wanted. I still experienced the occasional flame out and the power just wasn't what I expected. For background the bike has an Akarpovic titanium header, cat delete and S&S slip on. The bench tune appears to take advantage of these modifications and feels like an all together different motorcycle. The hit was an instant improvement in any gear or RPM. The cold start, and surges are totally gone and the power is unbelievable. It was 500.00 well spent. The bike runs like what Indian should have delivered. Now for some better tires and I'll have it where I want it ...for now!

Stuck86

I have just ordered the FM tune for my hp corse hydroform exhaust and link pipe. The bike came fitted with the exhaust when I bought it second hand but it never had a tune (madness). I am in the UK so I believe I am not affected by the AH2 software.
I have had a couple of stalls whilst decelerating, even when up to temp, and I once had the engine stall and screen go black on me as I was joining a round about (bit scary)!
I will let you know how I get on with FM.

Max Kool

If the screen goes black it might be something completely different, odds are one of the main circuit breakers behind the battery box is loose, rattling in its seat.

OldFatBasstard

If the screen goes black it might be something completely different, odds are one of the main circuit breakers behind the battery box is loose, rattling in its seat.
It works fine on some bikes. But you will be much more happy with a FM tune loaded to your PV3 than the DJ ones.
I did go out and get the FM tune package. It was kind of weird at first because my dealer was swearing up and down that I could not flash it with the AH2 stock tune on it. Then they told me I would have to send it to Lloyds and that was going to be expensive. Needless to say the only issue I had with the DJ tune was that my battery was low and in the middle of the tune I got a 310 code. All I had to do was put the battery tender on it overnight and wallah the tune went on fine. Then I got an FM tune and the bike ran like human fecal matter. They just told me to put some miles on the bike and it would get better with time which was totally correct.

Kceezy17

Does anyone know how much a tune reduces heat caused by fuel emissions? Bike already has a decat done. Thanks!

Max Kool

By a few hundred degrees afaik. I never find my bike extremely warm.

If you already have a decat you need a tune anyway.

Kceezy17

I don’t think my bike runs any different without the cat than it did with as far as I can tell. I don’t have any of the cold start issues many folks talk about on here.

Timps27

The fuel and air mapping in the ECU is designed with the systems back pressure factored in the calculations. Removing the cat and all the back pressure it provides will absolutely alter the fuel/air ratios the motor is actually ingesting, as the ECU is expecting different conditions. Sans an adjustment to the map, best case scenario is sacrificed fuel economy, improper combustion and elevated exhaust temps. Long term and worst case it will reduce the lifespan of parts.

Max Kool

It’s more complicated than “backpressure”, but yes, think of the exhaust system as a trombone. It’s shape and chambers are tuned to give optimum torque/power at the desired rpms.

Remove the cat and you’ve changed your trombone. Loosing midrange torque. The dynamic flow is disturbed which at least requires a tune to compensate.

Btw, apart from the Toce full system, leaving the cat in place and installing an open slipon is still Ryan Magic Sauce’s favorite.

Timps27

Yes, back pressure was perhaps too over generalized. That said, the shape of the exhaust is just one part of the equation, so long as the shape doesn’t create turbulence and inhibit flow, a map can be tuned for your intake/exhaust regime to ensure proper air/fuel mixture and complete efficient combustion. That doesn’t mean it’s the particular combination that maximizes the motors capabilities.

I’m still interested in seeing what backs up the cat/slip on being better than a well tuned decat, other than butt dynos. If the claimed dyno from FM with its flattening of the torque curve is false, I would very much like to know that as someone who purchased in faith that their research on the matter was reputable.

Max Kool

A direct conversation I had with Ryan (or actually, multiple). The resonator boosts midrange torque like no decat can. Unless it’s the full Toce, which was specifically designed for the FTR to maximize torque/hp at any revs.

K9F

If catalytic converters are such an integral part of 'The Quest for Performance Nirvana' why is it track bikes don't generally have them?

Also as a 'layman' I can't see much wrong with the torque curve graph available of a tuned FTR without the cat. Am I missing something? Just asking?

To me it seems just like splitting hairs unless of course you are going to make a fortune and find yourself earning a bucket load of money standing on a podium with a cup held above your head and become a Worldwide household name winning races on your FTR? As long as you are happy with the end result who really cares?

😇😎

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Most of the FTRs that run on the tracks, the ones the professional stunters use, and some of the super hooligan racers use, all have the cats in place. We cant compare the FTRs weird quirks with other bikes.

Its not all about the flat line, its also about overall smoothness and rideability. And some people arent happy with the end result, thus why we like to inform them of the possible issues that may arise.

Last edited:

Timps27

So the answer is no, there is absolutely nothing to back it up other than feelings and butt dynos.