New tuning options from Lloydz ( Ryan ).

edgelett

So, hypothetically speaking, could not an FTR owner purchase a new ECU, have Ryan bench flash it, and then keep the stock ECU should that be necessary in the future? Just asking...
in fact it's not a silly idea for those of us overseas, simply cause we can't easily get a bench flash and dealers here are starting to wack the ECU update on Indians.

but it's a fair bit of cash.

Fuse5

Do i get it running a better/perfectly way than i got ..with options?
FM doesn´t answer and Lloydz seems to go another way.

Fuse5

It won´t (for me). Would´nt go for a mail file (if possible) to Venlo a 540 km trip at this time here.
Just wondering and asking about.

JDP

I think it‘s actually really simple. Ask a guy who’s job it is to tune FTR’s on a daily basis which exhaust setup gives the best result.

Why are some people so stubborn and/or defensive?
Just stubborn that’s all, I argued with this guy and his FTR parked next to me he said he’s so pissed about the performance and I told him about Ryan’s tune but he said he shouldn’t have to pay to get it running right which I do agree but if you want to ride then just pay him to tune it and then it’s a done deal , I told him I’m out riding as much as I can and having a blast while he’s sitting home and being pissed off so I just rode off while he was waiting for his bike to warm up, poor guy

motocroft

So, hypothetically speaking, could not an FTR owner purchase a new ECU, have Ryan bench flash it, and then keep the stock ECU should that be necessary in the future? Just asking...
Coming back to this - it's something I would entertain doing as I've had haphazard experience with flashing my MT09 (not saying I expect the same with Ryan/Lloydz).
I see benefits in having a stock, un-fettled ECU along with a modified one (not only for insurance and warranty, but also for baseline comparisons)

Two questions.
  1. Are the ECUs not 'pinned' or 'registered' to the bike? Other manufacturers do this (IE: like a red key for the immobilizer)
  2. If one wanted to source a spare ECU to play with, where would you look to procure it?

Max Kool

I don’t think they’re pinned, the ECU is the brain actually, so how should the ECU know it’s on the right bike? You can swap them. But yes, the VIN in the ECU and on the frame are typically the same. In that sense they are unique and if you buy a new one and have it flashed, Ryan will probably want to know what your VIN is.

kiwi dave

I purchased my DynoJet Power Vision module not long after I purchased the FTR1200S.

My understanding is that it was locked to my ECU as soon as I connected it to my bike. I can source other maps, which can be loaded on to the PVM, but connecting the PVM to another ECU is not possible. It makes sense, otherwise a whole group or club with the same FTR ECU would be able to benefit, and the manufacturer would not be making money on each Power Vision.

However, my understanding is that for an undisclosed sum of money, another ECU can be added to the existing PVM. Again, once this is connected, the PVM is locked to these two ECUs. This undisclosed sum of money is cheaper than purchasing another PVM, but you ain't gonna get it for nothing. Pure commercial sense.

my Dynojet Power Vision, ready to flash.JPG

motocroft

I don’t think they’re pinned, the ECU is the brain actually, so how should the ECU know it’s on the right bike? You can swap them. But yes, the VIN in the ECU and on the frame are typically the same. In that sense they are unique and if you buy a new one and have it flashed, Ryan will probably want to know what your VIN is.
Yes this makes sense.

That said - I previously owned an Aprilia which had a 'split brain' of sorts where the ECU was the engine management brain and the board and ROM in the dash was the bike brain. They were registered to one-another and you'd effectively brick the bike were you to swap an ECU without a re-registration process which required a Rexxer or Aprilia dealer unit (or similar)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No, I’m letting her get used to the lazy power curve that the 22 has before getting the bike flashed. I want to make sure she can handle the more intense power delivery. But soon.

Also it’s $200usd to purchase a second license for the power commander if you want to use it on more than one bike