New tuning options from Lloydz ( Ryan ).

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
This is the only foolproof fix for the new Indian software. Ecu takes 10min to remove.

for more information contact Indian of Charlotte. Or [email protected]

Attachments

• 7DF4D146-2C4F-4123-813A-47BBB91B27FE.jpeg
    7DF4D146-2C4F-4123-813A-47BBB91B27FE.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 3ECD96F3-7EB1-43D8-9EE8-07A37F0386FA.jpeg
    3ECD96F3-7EB1-43D8-9EE8-07A37F0386FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
anything you do the bike can void it, although ive not heard of an instance where some ones warranty was voided. Especially since every ftr on the road is still under the 2 year warranty.

Talk to ryan, apparently the bench flash is virtually undetectable, unlike the pv3 which if they look hard enough you can see a counter.

Wayne

How can you tell if you have the old or new ECU? I assume there is a version number but where is that found?

cupcake_mike

How can you tell if you have the old or new ECU? I assume there is a version number but where is that found?

I know it tells you when you plug in the pv3, but that probably won't help, if you don't have one. I gave ryan my vin when i ordered, i assume he looked it up in some Indian computer program?

Last edited:

Wayne

Thank you. I have a PV3 and downloaded Ryan's tune to the ECU so I will plug it back in and pay more attention this time.

cupcake_mike

Its my understanding if you have the "new" stock ecu/tune you can't reflash with ryans tune via pv3 (hence the whole sending it off to him thing referenced above), so if it what you have works you must have the "old" stock one to start with.

I'm no expert.

Wayne

Thanks, this is becoming confusing. When I got the PV3 it had two tunes in it. Ryan said the tunes would only load in the the correct ECU. I flashed it once and didn't see a change. I re flashed it with the second tune and it seems better . I will know more after Sunday when I take it out. Love the bike but hate the stock stalling and cold start issues.

JDP

I just did the Ryan bench mapping and it’s amazing how great the bike runs now, just send him your ECU and tell him what exhaust your running and any other mods and get ready because when you get it back the bike screams,it was 34 degrees and my bike fired right up no stalls and I rode it up the street a few miles and WOW. he is a great guy to work with too,

FTRUK

Maybe you should tell Indian to add a tune from Ryan when the public purchase a bike.
I bought an FTR and it was a bag of shit ,sent it back and got a new one and still a bag of shit (at the moment )
Dealer will put on Dyno and try new bike when I’ve done 500 miles ( I don’t hold much hope )
why is it Indian can sell a whole load of shit then smooth out problems and sell new modified bike and leave out all the past buyers with problems.After paying out £17.500 for bike including £650 for PV3 and tune (that did not work)
end result .....anyone buying a 2019 2020 bike that wants a standard (hideous) exhaust and cat Removed won’t get that bike running good .....unless reading online chat forums first.

feel so fuckin angry ,I’ve said before I had all this shit before when I bought an MV Augusta Brutale 910R in 2006 ,fuelling was a massive negative and dangerous ,same as this FTR .Then the next model came out and all was sorted ,why is it that first owners get a shit deal.
MSR was trying to get ‘Andy‘ form Indian UK to phone ,me ,but he never did.
unusual times of owning a bike with all these lockdowns and such, but 2nd FTR and a year later ,still a bag of shit. I haven’t got a lot of hope for this Bike. Heard guys buying Ryan’s tune here (in UK) and still having problems.It all depends on what exhaust ,de cat set up you have.I’ve also heard that guys here happy that they bought it , but then how many fuckin tunes and PV3s have you got to buy to make this run sweet.
Its not on.
I know of K9 (through this site) a guy quite local to me that’s happy with his lot and that’s great (and he offered to help to his credit)
But why do you ferriolo bang the drum for this tuner (I am wrong side of pond) when Indian should have tunes available for someone when they decide to take off that monstrosity of an exhaust,and that’s what it’s all about.Once that cat and exhaust is off .....it’s shite.
are you on commission?

Last edited:

Staedtler

Sorry to hear of you woes. But just to understand, you change the bike away from stock, and it’s up to Indian to provide you with the tune to cope with that? Indian (and all other major brands) have their hands tied in Europe with EU regulations, it’s why they no longer sell stage 1 exhausts and stage 2 cams etc. Sure, the FTR does not run great out of the box, but modifying it even further and thinking Indian can make it run better than stock makes no sense.

FTRUK

could argue all day ,but just to say that since bikes were produced on mass ,they have always being modified and tweaked.
The thing with this Indian is ,that they have made it that you can’t do that.And I was just asking of the guy here if they get commission from advertising tunes .

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Lol no. We have had good luck with a quality product, from a guy who devoted almost two years of his life trying to perfect tunes That FIXES ALL THE RUNNING ISSUES. So yes, we are going to promote it. And expect nothing in return other than making other ftr owners happy with a perfect tuning bike

And Indian can’t do anything because of euro4/5 regulations. Especially if you take the cat off. You spend almost 20 grand on a bike, and scoff at spending another couple hundred for a tune that doesn’t need to meet epa regs

although based on that previous post, i dont thing you will ever buy something new that meets your expectations. Due to EPA regs, all oem modern tunes arent that great IMO, everything i own gets tuned shortly after buying it, because i know how much better it can be tuned, not for power, but for smoothness.

Last edited:

edgelett

you need to plug your PV3 in to your PC and look at the 'info' file (I can't remember the exact filename)
if it says AH2 in your ECU info then you have the new one

Wayne

Thanks, I' thinking of sending my ECU to Ryan for a bench tune. It is suppose to be much better than the best map but is also another 350.00 on top of the 500.00 I've spent on the current tune and PV3. Bikes are my passion and I know I spend a lot on them but its worth it to me.

FTRUK

Lol no. We have had good luck with a quality product, from a guy who devoted almost two years of his life trying to perfect tunes That FIXES ALL THE RUNNING ISSUES. So yes, we are going to promote it. And expect nothing in return other than making other ftr owners happy with a perfect tuning bike

And Indian can’t do anything because of euro4/5 regulations. Especially if you take the cat off. You spend almost 20 grand on a bike, and scoff at spending another couple hundred for a tune that doesn’t need to meet epa regs

although based on that previous post, i dont thing you will ever buy something new that meets your expectations. Due to EPA regs, all oem modern tunes arent that great IMO, everything i own gets tuned shortly after buying it, because i know how much better it can be tuned, not for power, but for smoothness.
Just to say , yes I spent an extra £650 on PV3 and tune ....it didn’t work.
I know that one of Colins guys in the shop bought a PV3 and tune from your guy and it didn’t fully work.So Iam a bit reluctant to keep spending on trial and error fixes and with our postal system here in such a mess I woulnt want to try posting.
was drunk when I typed that last night.But I am angry with Indian ,seems like they advertise that all gremlins are smoothed out in new models,but we are left with problems and they couldn’t care less.
when I was getting my first one replaced Colin was in discussions with the guy from Indian UK sales ,think his name is Andy and I asked for him to call ,he couldn’t be bothered!
we have not tried tuning this one yet, but I’d put money down that it won’t work and it’s 1 year since I bought first bike.
Out of interest,how much do you think it would cost to buy a spare ECU ,would that be possible ,then post that one.It woulnt be workable to send the main component,that may need it doing again for what ever reason,and risk it with our postal system.

Last edited:

K9F

FTRUK,

When you say "We have not tried tuning this one yet" who are you referring to? With your historical 5 hour plus marathon experiences with MSR to no avail, do you really want to go down the same path again? MSR are a phenomenal dealership but your own experience must dictate that 'tuning aficionados' they are not, with the FTR at the moment anyway!

Once this lockdown malarkey is over with and as you are local why don't we hook up and chew the cud over your issues. Nobody ever usually gets to ride my bike, nevertheless if you are fully comprehensive with a reputable company you may be able to take my bike for a local jaunt to see what you think? I would of course accompany you with me riding your own FTR. It may possibly help you towards getting a resolution to your ongoing issues perhaps? I know Colin and his team have tried somewhat tirelessly to help you but their hands are tied as they are fundamentally trying to work with somebody else's product. The 'lifetime map support' offered by the route I took and the ease by which tunes are adjusted and sent back in a matter of days over thousands of miles if you are not happy is a convenient and easy process. Whilst I sense your frustration the problem may not be insurmountable? However it may need a bit more money thrown at it to get there? Less than what you'd lose ditching the model and brand no doubt or adding to your frustrations by treading the same path you've been down before?

I'm with you, I would never ship my ECU halfway round the globe to get it worked on and neither would I spend $600 buying a replacement to facilitate shipping the original. Also would your PV3 marry to two separate ECU's or would you have to buy another licence to do this? Who knows?

Just trying to help and get you on a better track!

Last edited:

edgelett

Just to say , yes I spent an extra £650 on PV3 and tune ....it didn’t work.
I know that one of Colins guys in the shop bought a PV3 and tune from your guy and it didn’t fully work.So Iam a bit reluctant to keep spending on trial and error fixes and with our postal system here in such a mess I woulnt want to try posting.
was drunk when I typed that last night.But I am angry with Indian ,seems like they advertise that all gremlins are smoothed out in new models,but we are left with problems and they couldn’t care less.
when I was getting my first one replaced Colin was in discussions with the guy from Indian UK sales ,think his name is Andy and I asked for him to call ,he couldn’t be bothered!
we have not tried tuning this one yet, but I’d put money down that it won’t work and it’s 1 year since I bought first bike.
Out of interest,how much do you think it would cost to buy a spare ECU ,would that be possible ,then post that one.It woulnt be workable to send the main component,that may need it doing again for what ever reason,and risk it with our postal system.
i have to say I haven't heard of any instances of people buying a PV3 and tune from Ryan and it not working, other than those with the new AH2 software on their ECU - and my understanding is the Ah2 software has only been released in the USA and Canada so far.
I'm in Australia and I had no issues.
Do you mean it didn't work AT ALL i.e wouldn't even load the tune on to the bike, or that the tune didn't quite fix the issue?
If it's the latter, Ryan offers lifetime tune service and updates. My first tune for my FTR didn't quite fix my cold stalls, i contacted him and he sent me an update and it was a thousand times better.
I know a few people who live outside the US that got in touch with Ryan if the tune wasn't quite right and he was able to sort the issues pretty quickly.

K9F

^^^
I stand to be corrected but I think the PV3 and dyno time were perhaps bought through the dealership not through one of the two reputable and proven tuner providers? In that case the tunes are just the canned generic ones provided by Dynojet.