Non Factory luggage options

Radicle

Does anyone recommend a tail bag is good for daily riding? I am looking for one that holds its own shape, no more than 8" tall (so I can still get on the bike easily). I see many online, few on bikes. Very few on an FTR. Any recommends? Thanks

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I ran the nelsonrigg sport bag for a while

Attachments

• FD874A39-C321-4E07-927E-D279D98C45A4.jpeg
    FD874A39-C321-4E07-927E-D279D98C45A4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 143

Wayne

I just got the Nelson Rig touring tail bag. The carrying capacity is great as is the quality. When I put it on the bike I noticed it was defiantly a challenge to mount the bike. I have not had much practice yet however. With it on the pit stand and by standing on the left foot peg I can swing my leg over. Dismounting is more of a challenge. I'm sure with practice I can dismount the same way much as you mounting and dismounting mounting a horse, When out for a ride I think my only option will be to use the same method using the kick stand which isn't designed to be used in this manner. It would be really bad it the kick stand bolt or mount were to break. I'm not real tall at 5'9'' but have no issues getting on my modern motocross bikes which make the FTR seem short. Does anybody have a secret to this exercise or do I just need to practice my gymnastic moves in the garage before I take the show on the road? Another option may be to reach back and disconnect two of the clips and let the bag drop to the side.

... Nelson Rig touring tail bag... When I put it on the bike I noticed it was definitely a challenge to mount the bike...
This is the same for me, one of the reason for side bags. When I strapped a bag on the passenger seat, I realized that this isn't that easy. Also looking for feedback. Different bags? Different mounting and dismounting techniques?

J0988

I second the Nelson Rigg tail bags. I also have the Nelson Rigg Trails End Dual Sport/Enduro Tail Bag. Thing fits like a glove and actually looks really good on the FTR.
7EBA9149-7E08-49CB-A018-11D76B27A697.jpeg

Wayne

I did a little practicing today and have got it down I believe. I have found that I can either stand flat footed on the left side of the bike and lift my right leg and slip it across the seat in front of the tail bag or stand on the the left foot peg and swing my right leg up and over the tail bag. Dismounting is done in the exact opposite for each method. I examined the kick stand bolt and it looks pretty strong. The first method may encourage me to take up yoga so I can lift my leg up really high. This bag can carry a surprising amount even a full face helmet when expanded.

mark.lb

Rode past the Tiki Bar yesterday. They were unpacked and setting up all the outdoor furniture and stage for the bands. Opening day is May 1. To me that is the official start of summer!
A1BDA32C-3D87-4F11-AC86-6A93C108DAC6.jpeg

Jyonish

I use tail bag from amazon (just listed as motorcycle seat tail bag) and works great, no issues. It expands/collapses, is low profile but expands to fit my helmet perfectly.
I also use SW Motech sys bag 15 for side carrier. SW Motech makes quality stuff, worth a look.

Attachments

• 20210423_105145.jpg
    20210423_105145.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 96

Timps27

Another Nelson Rigg fan. The Hurricane dry bag is my tail pack for my Tiger, and it doubles valiantly on the back of the FTR. Still mulling the luggage rack, or at least the pax grab handle, either should get the bag angled a bit more up so it’s not partially obscuring my tail. Also, Rok straps for everything, they are my go to.

8EB67EE6-EB85-4D3E-B8F3-66F226FBD809.jpeg

Richqb

Does anyone recommend a tail bag is good for daily riding? I am looking for one that holds its own shape, no more than 8" tall (so I can still get on the bike easily). I see many online, few on bikes. Very few on an FTR. Any recommends? Thanks
I actually got the OEM cargo rack and dropped a Givi top box on the bike and love it.

Attachments

• 20200418_143419.jpg
    20200418_143419.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 79

Pmcb41

I just traveled with an Indian Tank bag, Indian rack with SW-Motech EVO 50 liter Tail Bag. It road great, did not even feel it on the bike. No movement even at speeds above 110 mph. There is extra straps to put jacket on top of bag securely and room left on the end of the rack to strap a tent. There is water proof bag inside and two side pouches large enough for rain gear and extra footwear. (It also hides license plate from most highway camera) just in case you plan on ignoring the local suggested speed limits and traffic laws.12343BC8-C55B-4C63-AFDF-243FC8C05465.jpeg3A2CEAE4-99CD-49B8-A94A-09DBB7AD285F.jpeg

Pmcb41

Yes, Zion and Moab where the best part of the entire ride. I had been through that area in a car years earlier, but there are so many things you see and experience while riding that you just don’t notice in a car.

tri650

Agreed about your comment about being on 2 wheels. Just got back also from a trip (car) with wife through southern Utah and hit Monument Valley, Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. Would have been fun on 2 wheels. National Parks are getting crazy busy and suggest anyone who is going to plan ahead and go early. Lines everywhere and in some cases the parks were closed due to traffic. Worth it though, particularly Zion. Plan to spend 2-3 days there.

Timps27

Been through the area several times in a car, never on two wheels. I’ve never seen the national parks in Utah not overflowing and fully booked, one of the most beautiful natural places in the country!

Pmcb41

It is beautiful there. Another advantage of traveling on motorcycle is parking and stops. It is so easy to get around in crowded areas and make quick stops for scenery or photos on a motorcycle. My son and I went through Yellowstone a couple years ago and it was so much easier to see things on a bike. And back to the topic of this thread, packing light with good luggage on a bike makes the entire trip less burdensome. I think most of us are guilty of over packing. You can’t do that so easy on a bike. And I bought less garbage I would never use and just brought back great memories I will never forget.

R. Warshawsky

I just traveled with an Indian Tank bag, Indian rack with SW-Motech EVO 50 liter Tail Bag. It road great, did not even feel it on the bike. No movement even at speeds above 110 mph. There is extra straps to put jacket on top of bag securely and room left on the end of the rack to strap a tent. There is water proof bag inside and two side pouches large enough for rain gear and extra footwear. (It also hides license plate from most highway camera) just in case you plan on ignoring the local suggested speed limits and traffic laws.View attachment 3704View attachment 3705
Above 100 on stock tires? Might want to watch the helmet video posted by @edgelett ...lol