Ohlins Set-up

brad21

Haven't seen it specifically posted here but I'm curious how those of you with a '22 Carbon have set-up your suspension...

I'm 200-ish lbs., probably a little more fully dressed, and have the stock/general riding recommendations dialed in... I've been running 3 turns of pre-load on the forks and have just added 2 more turns, but haven't ridden it yet. I think my shock was pre-loaded for about a 175 lb. rider so I dialed it appropriately yesterday for a clydesdale :LOL: but again haven't taken it out for a comparo.

My issues have been that the bike seems to "fall in" some in the front end and tends to wallow a bit if the suspension gets upset in a turn. Feels like it needs a damper. Smooth turns I have no complaints.

I generally run about 33 lbs. in the tires front and rear.

Madmo

I had a reputable shop known for suspension set it up for me. I went to a 180/60 and they increased the rear ride height and set all the settings a bit more aggressive, basically stiffer. I’m going to attach what they did for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70

MacBayne

Put it back to stock settings in the chart and leave it. Maybe deviate one or two clicks on the compression damping (equal front and rear) for a softer ride, but that's it.

What do you mean, it wallows? I know what suspension wallow is, but I wanna make sure that we are on the same page.

These bikes lean to a max 43 degrees... NOWHERE near the realm of getting complicated. I'm 240lbs. and set mine to the 225 line on the chart. I've had my pegs drag on the ground numerous times both at 15 mph and 80 mph and felt no need to deviate. In street setting, the most lean the average rider will see is probably 20-25 degrees.

One of the main reasons I got the carbon was for the Ohlins suspension... not for dick measuring, but because I have the tools for it and have had it on my previous two race bikes, so I can do all the maintenance myself. Under 45 degrees lean, 2 mm of preload or 2 clicks difference from baseline will not upset anything at all. Only on bikes where you get past 45 degrees, into 55/60, do spring rates, individual clicks, and individual mm preload matter.

Depending on the radius of the turn, the bike may want to "fall in" or fight it. If you are decelerating or accelerating will affect it too. Picking flyshit out of pepper for street use is a fruitless endeavor.

Given the rake and wheelbase of the FTR, no steering damper is needed.

I'm thinking your tire pressures are low. The stockers call for 36F and 40R. Low pressures can give you that "wallow" feeling.

brad21

Okay, took her out for a good, long mixed conditions ride yesterday. Pumped the tires up to 40r/36f. Bike was rock solid. No wallowing (defined as bike wiggles in a turn when suspension is upset by poor road surface) and really never felt the bike "fall in" like it has in the past. Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

MacBayne

Nice!

FTR Ohlins OEM suspension isn't exactly like the aftermarket, (don't get me started) but it's better than most. Unfortunately, every last variable between the tire and the frame changes at least 2 other variables in the chain.

I recommend https://racetech.com/page/title/suspension bible to anyone wanting to know suspension details better. It's for road track, road, and dirt track enthusiasts.

brad21

Update: replaced the OEM tires with a set of Michelin Road 6's... bike handles way better! It was still "falling in" a little before the Road 6's, I'm sure it was that worn front tire.