Petrol/fuel/gas Cap...

• Thread starter Deleted member 706
  • Start date

Who likes the OEM locking petrol cap?

• I do, it protects a lot of valuable petrol.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Mine works just fine.

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I hate it and want to replace

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Yeah yeah, whatever...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 706

I've never been happy with the locking cap as it's always been a slow and hard turn to unlock it, some time ago a bit of graphite helped loosen it up. Recently I put some more in and that fucked it right up, I couldn't get the key right in. I sorted it with compressed air, WD40 and more air, now it opens but it's still a piece of crap.
Are there any non-locking alternatives available? If so where can I source one?

Mlazarus

The OEM gas cap is serviceable, but, marginal at best. I tried to convince a friend of mine with a CNC machine to make a bunch of aftermarket gas caps for the FTR. He doesn't think it would be profitable.

MilwDave

The OEM gas cap is serviceable, but, marginal at best. I tried to convince a friend of mine with a CNC machine to make a bunch of aftermarket gas caps for the FTR. He doesn't think it would be profitable.
Or make the internal parts to adapt a standard aftermarket cap for an HD.

Face It

Where do you put the cap when fueling?
I set it on my seat but it's sketchy and fell to the ground once. Now it has a marred edge. Grrr...

FTRUK

Moorespeed has a great bracket that you bolt to frame and can lock cap into when filling up

Attachments

• AF5DD25F-81E5-48F2-A993-0622EBC1A357.png
    AF5DD25F-81E5-48F2-A993-0622EBC1A357.png
    24.5 MB · Views: 46

FTR London

Where do you put the cap when fueling?
I set it on my seat but it's sketchy and fell to the ground once. Now it has a marred edge. Grrr...
The same thing happened to me. Rolled off the pump and landed with the ignition key downwards, bending it as a result. Fortunately it was within a mile of my home, so I could walk back and fetch the other one. Still haven't straightened it.

D

Deleted member 706

When I have the rack fitted the cap sits there otherwise it's on my gloves and on the bike seat.