Question about battery maintenance

Rodney72

I just got my FTR S and ordered an Optima 4 to take care of the battery. For those of you who own the same unit, are you changing the program over to CAN-bus and charging through the SAE connector on the bike?

Staedtler

I charge with an Optimate 4 through the bike’s SAE connector but it is not set to canbus, thought that was a BMW specific requirement?

Rodney72

I charge with an Optimate 4 through the bike’s SAE connector but it is not set to canbus, thought that was a BMW specific requirement?
I'm pretty sure the FTR is a CAN-bus system, I'm just not sure if you have to charge it as such.

Staedtler

I think it’s the way BMW implement their canbus that makes it a specific requirement for them, FTR is not that fussy 😬. Mine charges fine without error messages, so I’m happy with that.

Max Kool

What happens on the BMW is when you use a regular charger the connector will "close" after a while, so the battery stops charging. The canbus aware charger send a signal to the bike to keep the circuit open. An FTR doesn't need that.

Breto

I just hook up my old Auscharge to the FTR…no probs through the on board pigtail…it’s pretty basic too. Just on, charge and maintain.