Recomend a Paddock Stand?

S2Davies

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and new to the FTR, in fact I haven't taken delivery yet! The bike is on it's way in the next couple of weeks and I'm just getting its spot in the garage ready for the big day.
I'm just looking for a rear paddock stand (for use with bobbins) and also a well fitting cover. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Many thanks and here's looking forward to the summer.

Stu

I have used this for my FTR and last couple of bikes and love the fact I can move the back end around to make more space in my garage when I am working on other things.

S2Davies

I have used this for my FTR and last couple of bikes and love the fact I can move the back end around to make more space in my garage when I am working on other things.

Thank you for that, I'll take a look at the weekend.
Stu

K9F

As 'simplynotsimon' posted Biketek make some really good stands 'Pit Bull' can be difficult to source at the moment unless you want to pay import taxes and shipping from the USA? Ironically I bought one this week (not the floating variety) along with some Rizoma 8mm spools.

Liked the idea of the large rear black disks on the spools that protect the frame a little when lining up the stand.

RIZOMA%20SWINGARM%20SPOOLS%20PADDOCK%20STAND%20BOBBINS%20RED.jpg

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
This is what ive been using for years, the chinese made ones sell world wide, with just a different name.

and used these spools

I found with the cheaper colored metal spools, the anodizing fades, and eventually they just turn to a odd gold color.

K9F

I found with the cheaper colored metal spools, the anodizing fades, and eventually they just turn to a odd gold color.

Agree once the anodizing is compromised it can degrade quickly and they do take a beating from the paddock stands. I cut and split some clear tubing and adhered it to the hook risers on the stand to prevent it from damaging the anodizing finish. The spools on the dealer's FTR were quite bad.

K9F

Hi S2 you asked about a cover.....It depends in what environment you are storing the bike really?

First and foremost my garage was built in 1935 when the property was built and is tiny and has no heating. Room is at a premium and if I now want to store/keep something I have a rule whereupon something of the same size gets ditched. It stops hoarding rubbish. Ironically I had to dig both bikes out today looking for something I needed.

both.jpg

My other bike which does get laid up in the garage in the Winter gets put away in a bike bubble. There is a filtered fan that puts a positive pressure inside the bubble keeping dust and dirt out. There are two vents in the cover one at front and one rear, you can put your bike away wet, open the vents and it'll dry in 20 minutes. If you forget to close the vents over time though your seals may dry out? I had an indoor one that gave me great service for about 12 years, nevertheless it was clear PVC single skin which became very supple in hot weather and brittle in cold. I bought a fabric outdoor one as an eventual replacement as they are much more resilient and double skinned. They provide as an option an Optimate dual tender, one supply operates the fan the other looks after the battery. The bike is parked on a reinforced base and the bubble simply zips over the top, less than three minutes to get out or lay away. The bubble can be seen behind the FTR.

The FTR on the other hand sits in front of the bubble also in the garage and as that gets all year usage and cleaned and inspected regularly I just throw a lightweight cotton sheet over it when not in use and stick that on an Optimate tender as well.

Bike Bubble link below:

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:

S2Davies

I'd never considered one of those, they look really good. I've got the impression that my Daytona might be put on the back burner for a while once the FTR arrives next week.
Also, sorry for nosing around your garage, but has everyone who has bikes got a collection of old number plates? I know I have....

Thanks again for the info.

K9F

The number on the right hand bike has been on quite a few vehicles over the years, mostly four wheeled and I have amassed quite a collection which I stuck on the garage door.

S2Davies

The other thing that made me smile is your FTR reg. My bike got registered today with X12 FTR. Those two are going to have to be parked together some day for a picture!

Reactions: K9F

K9F

I got in early and bought the plate quite cheap 9 months before the FTR arrived in the UK. Northamptonshire is not a million miles away. Could arrange a meet somewhere like Loomies perhaps?

D

Deleted member 192

Hate to admit it but..... K9F has some sick F ing bikes!

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Thanks MikieG9596,

Perhaps a point to note here is that the BikeTek stand I bought once the spools were fitted appeared about 1/3inch or 8mm (whichever you prefer) too narrow for the bike with the adjusters set at maximum width. Before I did anything called MSR to check and was told 'nothing unusual there' and the method to sort it. Ended up putting the stand on it's side standing on one arm and a sharp tug on the other. Job done!

Got mine cheaper from the dealers but same stand.

S2Davies

I got in early and bought the plate quite cheap 9 months before the FTR arrived in the UK. Northamptonshire is not a million miles away. Could arrange a meet somewhere like Loomies perhaps?

Definitely up for that, might have to wait for it to warm up a bit though!
Mine is arriving on Wednesday...…….I didn't know days could be this long :)

K9F

Definitely up for that, might have to wait for it to warm up a bit though! :)

Man or mouse? What's the matter with the weather? May not be quite as brazen as Ferraiolo when it comes to cold weather and his snowy ride outs but I'll give it a shot. 😉

Loomies last Wednesday.

loomies.jpg