Scout Tachometer Compatibility

chris

From everything I can find on the wiring diagram of the Scout, it seems as though the connector is designed to work with the 8 pin diagnostic port located near the battery tray, under the seat, on the Scout. This appears to be the same connection as the diagnostic port located on the right side of the FTR 1200 under the "tank" cover. Curious to see if it will be as simple as plug and play...

Last edited:

chris

I ended up finding one at a dealer in NY and it will be here late next week. Looking forward to getting it installed and I'll post up pictures once complete.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Will be curious to see if it works. Since the redline is different than the ftr I wonder when the light will come on

chris

I was originally going to do the classic green, yellow, red LED light strip setup along the top of the speedo, but when I found this one it just fits the look so much better IMO.

FTR London

I would welcome an option in the future to replace that daft looking TFT/TV screen on the 1200s with a traditional clock. Never going to happen though.

chris

Alright, well I'm requesting the knowledge of any in-house electrical gurus.

The tach came in last night and it is exactly what I'm looking for. The fit and finish is fantastic and it matches the OEM analog speedo perfectly. Before purchasing, I knew this was designed for the Scout, but after reviewing the wiring diagrams of both bikes for quite a while, it appeared to take the same inputs.

So I plug it in, turn the key on and the tach lights up, as does the shift light and the needle does a full sweep and returns to 0. Once I start the bike, the tach once again lights up, does a full sweep and returns to 0, but does not register the RPMs. It just sits at 0 RPM.

The tach comes with an eight pin socket plug that fits our diagnostic plug under the right tank cover. The Scout has the same plug under the seat behind the battery. Would anyone be able to confirm this is also a diagnostic port? Everything I can see on the diagrams shows it is. The tach appears to use (based off of the Scout diagram below) sockets A (constant power), C (nothing on either the Scout or FTR), G (diagnostic can low), H (diagnostic can high). I have included a picture of the tach plug below as well. I popped the H and G pins out of the tach connector and put them into positions E and F respectively to see if they were trying to get the ECM HS can high and low signals, but it was the same result. I replaced them back to their original pin positions and had to call it a night because I got home from work late and my wife and kids and I are leaving for the weekend this morning.

This morning, after looking at the pictures I took with a fresh brain, it might be as simple as moving some of the tach connector pins around, as I can't imagine the brown wire pin is designed to go into nothing and the tach doesn't need a ground.

I would really appreciate everyone's input before I go digging into this further when I get home on Sunday or next week sometime depending on my workload. Thanks in advance!

Scout diagnostic plug:
jnc6p9Y.jpg

FTR 1200 diagnostic plug:
1g5pcop.jpg

Tach plug:
KeOYhDU.jpg

Back of tach plug:
223uI1F.jpg

mark.lb

I have the tachometer on my Scout. I believe you are correct saying it plugs into the diagnostic port connector under the seat behind the battery. I had a Lloyd’z custom tune built for my Scout. A PV3 was used to collect data on data logging rides and then sent to Charlotte to build the tune. The technician only installed the tachometer after the custom tune was finished and completely installed on the bike. I remember Mike telling me the tachometer used the same port he was using during the tuning process. You are also correct - the tachometer needle does a complete sweep and the shift light flashes on off when the key is turned on.
F50DA7B3-D83A-40C6-86EF-67DC9A477DE2.jpeg2C9E0256-3875-4780-9B9C-B13720B69B87.jpegFDB0CB56-08ED-49B9-97E9-F3ACE5C83463.jpeg

chris

I have the tachometer on my Scout. I believe you are correct saying it plugs into the diagnostic port connector under the seat behind the battery. I had a Lloyd’z custom tune built for my Scout. A PV3 was used to collect data on data logging rides and then sent to Charlotte to build the tune. The technician only installed the tachometer after the custom tune was finished and completely installed on the bike. I remember Mike telling me the tachometer used the same port he was using during the tuning process. You are also correct - the tachometer needle does a complete sweep and the shift light flashes on off when the key is turned on.
Thank you for the input! If you get a chance I'd love to see a picture of where the tach is plugged in currently on your bike. Also a picture of the inside of the inside of the connector going to the tach, like the one I posted above, would be AWESOME! I believe in the last picture you posted up it is the large 8-pin connector that has a cap on it pointing about 11 o'clock by your rear fender. I circled it here:

HCSmOq4.jpg

Last edited:

mark.lb

Hope this helps chris:
1) The connector you circled - When I pulled the cover off holds a fuse.
2) The tachometer appears to be plugged into the data port that is used to access the ECU just as my technician Mike said.
E5010319-E195-4676-AC8C-CDBB52C1E5B5.jpegBBCA0044-29FB-42B8-A0BA-7AAF07C37959.jpeg

chris

So I got back yesterday afternoon and went ahead and got the bracket mounted. I ended up notching it because I want the gauge a bit farther up in my viewing area and I just think it looks a bit better in the 2 o'clock position.

eOVBofC.jpg

I took it for a test ride hoping that the gauge itself may needed one of the studs to ground it, but same result. In fact, the speedo DID NOT like it being hooked up. The speedo needle was bouncing all over the place and the ABS light was blinking. Also the shift light on the gauge would blink 4 times every 20 seconds or so. I'm assuming this is some sort of trouble code for the gauge. I ended up just unplugging it.

If I can't get this gauge to work I might just switch it out for an autometer of the same size and go that route. The mounting bracket, rear gauge cover, etc are what I was really looking for.

Notaharley

So I got back yesterday afternoon and went ahead and got the bracket mounted. I ended up notching it because I want the gauge a bit farther up in my viewing area and I just think it looks a bit better in the 2 o'clock position.

eOVBofC.jpg

I took it for a test ride hoping that the gauge itself may needed one of the studs to ground it, but same result. In fact, the speedo DID NOT like it being hooked up. The speedo needle was bouncing all over the place and the ABS light was blinking. Also the shift light on the gauge would blink 4 times every 20 seconds or so. I'm assuming this is some sort of trouble code for the gauge. I ended up just unplugging it.

If I can't get this gauge to work I might just switch it out for an autometer of the same size and go that route. The mounting bracket, rear gauge cover, etc are what I was really looking for.
I love the tach on there.

I wonder if my buddy could 3d print a bracket that would hold an aftermarket tach.

I appreciate your experimentation and I wish you the best of luck.

This type of stuff is the heart of motorcycling and hot ridding.

I emailed Indian back in April 2022 asking if they planned to make one of these for the base model FTR1200. No reply. I wish the tachometer was the large analog gauge and the speedometer was a digital readout. I found it refreshing that within this post no one chimed in with "A reeeel rider doesn't need no tach. Just ride the torque wave." I am riding the torque wave but I would LOVE an orange needle sweeping across a black face approaching the RPM where I will shift. A shift light would be an additional boner/bonus.

Last edited: