Secret Sauce V6 hello!

Max Kool

Here's my little eval of the first two hours on V6. Stock RR, baffles out.

Intro, I've been in the hands of Ryan ever since the FTR came out, even before Dynojet cracked the FTR. V1 was good, V2 was better, etc. I've been using V5 for the last year now and have always been really happy with it. Up to the point where I jokingly said to Ryan: "heck, I'm going to cut off that purple connector!" Starts well, hot and cold, ultra smooth power delivery, WADS of midrange torque and super controllable. I never expected my bike to run that good. I only had one last wish, those pesky traction control "blips" right when you tip your bike into a 2nd gear turn. Well aware this was outside the tune I learned to live with it, and often chose track mode to dumb down the nannies.

Than last year I suddenly got a call from from Ryan a few days after Indian released AH2. "They fixed the blip, Max they fixed it!!"
🙂
We all know what happened next, while Ryan was cooking up new tunes based on AH2, Dynojet tried to create a new firmware for the PV3 that supports AH2. For some reason they didn't succeed completely leading to a bug or error that can cause bad hot starts and flameouts on certain bikes, especially cat-less bikes.

Enter V6. A bench flash not restricted by the interface the PV-3 offers. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he can make an ECU from a VW Golf work in our bikes. And don't get me wrong, Lloyds didn't invent the bench flash to shake more money out of our pockets, they just couldn't get a good enough result through the PV-3. I'm sure if they could, installing V6 on AH2 would be just as simple as V5 was. Bench flashing is a logistical nightmare.

Just like V5, buttery smooth, zero, nil surging, and a creamy midrange. In city traffic it feels like running CV carbs that are a tad too rich on the needle. But as soon as you want torque it's there. No hesitation, just linear power. And the annoying blip I once had has changed into a very gentle "catching of the revs" (which as such is good, ever had a big twin stall on you in the middle of an intersection, 1990 Ducati 900SS hello?). I can't speak for the high-rpm blip yet, which you typically get when going fast, downhill and braking/downshifting for a tight 180. You just can't test that in evening city traffic. I tried to invoke it by braking hard for a traffic light while shifitng down, but it didn't work. Either it's gone, or I didn't try hard enough. All in all, super happy.

Does it make more power? I can't judge that, and honestly, that's not the point. Getting a few extra ponies compared to stock is nice, and it does. But comparing V5 to V6? It's all about smoothness and throttle control/precision. Expect similar results or better than the attached dyno graph from 2019, the heydays.
🙂

ftr-stock-exh-jpeg.497238.jpeg

Should I get the Secret Sauce V6?

- If you're happy with your stock bike bike or current tune, no of course not. You're in Blue Pill Land. Congrats!
- If your bike is running 9L0, and you have a V5 tune and you are happy with it: NO
- If your bike is running 9L0, and you have a V5 tune and you really hate the blips: YES <= this was me.
🧐

- If your bike came with the AH2 software: YES

Max

edgelett

Fun fact - while at the Phillip Island MotoGP in 2016, I quite literally bumped in to Keanu while waiting for Tony to go to the bathroom.
I apologied, he said no problem and smiled and kept walking, and I just about died when I realised what just happened haha

Zilonis

Thanks for the V6 review, @Max Kool !

I'll definitely be getting the V6 bench flash soon. I'm just not sure if I should do it now with the stock 19 RR exhaust or wait until I put the Full Toce low system on. From what I understand Ryan would charge additional 175 for exhaust change re-flashes (found him comment this on FB somewhere last night)

How long were you w/o the ECU?

tjjhdad

Max - Greatly appreciate you taking the time to document your experience with the V6, as well as all the predecessors. I picked up my 1,235 mile used 2019 FTR 1200S a few weeks ago, put 350 miles on it and in that short duration had the cold start stalling, the general 'un-smoothness' and that twitch between 1st and 2nd is most annoying...thus I 'uncorked' the Akra mufflers, just got the Toce link pipe this morning and Ryan got my 9L0 ECU yesterday awaiting the V6 update. Looking forward to getting the ECU back later this week.

Cheers

Last edited:

nailbeater

I've got the 2019 FTR With the bassani Slip. I sent my ECU to Ryan last week supposed to get back today. Totally excited I did not start the bike After I put the exhaust time I wanted to wait until I got the Secret sauce 1st. He said I will love it . I wish UPS would hurry up.