Sometimes You Just Want to Scream

EllenGtrGrl

It's a gorgeous day here. Perfect for riding, but I'm not out and about on 2 wheels. My FTR 1200 is within 70 miles of requiring its 500 mile break-in maintenance, and the earliest I can get in is 2 weeks from now. So, I'm conserving the rides I have left (about 2, rides of about 30 plus miles each, using routes around where I live) so I can keep my battery charged until I have the break-in maintenance done. :( Still, that's not where the title of this thread comes from - it comes from a motorcycle incident I was almost involved in, that could have ended in tragedy.

Despite being a salaried employee (I'm a Quality Engineer for a local company), I went into work this morning for a few hours, to take a bite out of my workload (it was work, that cannot be done remotely at home). I also brought one of my electric guitars with me (my Fender Telecaster - I've been playing guitar for 41 years [including stints in rock bands, and a local church band]), so I could head directly from work, to my favorite guitar shop, to try out some guitar amps (I ended up buying one [a Blackstar Silverline 50] to replace my ratty old guitar amp). While heading back to my home turf from work in my car, before I got to the interchange, where I would leave northbound I-94, to head west on I-894, I decided to change lanes. I looked as I always do (I don't count on rear view mirrors alone, due there being blind spots in mirrors), and saw I was clear, so I decided to change lanes. I was half way through the lane change, when I started to hear what sounded like a howling 4-cylinder motorcycle engine, so I decided that it would be prudent to abort my lane change, and swerve back over into the original lane I was in. It's a good thing I did. I was not even completely done moving back into my original lane, when some squid, yahoo, Urban Freeway Warrior on his 600 or 1000 super sport, went screaming past me, swerving to make sure he missed my car (since I still hadn't completely cleared the lane yet) doing about 100 mph - in a 55 mph zone to boot! Several seconds later, 4 or 5 of his friends went howling past me going just as fast. All of these individuals , were swerving in and out of/cutting lanes (I saw them snaking through several lanes before I lost sight of them - one of the gaps between cars they moved through was at the most, a car length wide) playing high speed follow the leader. Oh yeah, and there was a 6th rider who must have gotten left behind for a bit - he was riding a 'Busa, doing at least 100 mph in the INSIDE SHOULDER of the freeway, trying to catch up with his friends! Traffic was heavy, and as I mentioned before, the speed limit was 55 mph, with the average motorist doing about 60 mph.

After these "riders" (and I use the term loosely) left the scene, my blood was just about boiling. If I hadn't moved back to my old lane, Squid #1, might have collided with me, and wound up dead. Riding behavior like I saw, is what adds to the negative perception that the average non-riding person has of motorcyclists! Grrrr!!! I'll admit, I've occasionally had a lead throttle hand on my bikes. During my morning commute at 6 am (when traffic is light), I typically do 80 mph, when the speed limit changes over to 70 mph. I will even admit, that once in a rare while, I've been over the ton, on empty back roads, but I've never made it a habit to do so. What I saw, and on a busy freeway with a 55 mph speed limit to boot, was just plain insanely dangerous. You want to make a habit of going that fast around here? go to the track days held at Road America, or Blackhawk Farms Raceway! Both tracks are within an hour and a half ride of the Milwaukee Metro Area. That worst part about it, is that these "urban racers" think nothing about doing what they did, and it confirms what I've always suspected, that whenever I hear a 4 cylinder motorcycle howling past my apartment building at 10,000 rpm on I-894, it's probably an urbo-Ricky Racer type going insanely fast. Oh yeah, and considering that I hear more than a few rescue squad sirens on the freeway, I wouldn't surprised if the rescue squads are responding to a freeway squid crash on occasion. It's kind of depressing in a way.

/rant off.

edgelett

I hear you mate - my other half and I love to have fun but we're always conscious of the fact we're on a road and not all car drivers bother to look for bikes so there's a high chance someone could hit us, and therefore we ride accordingly. it's these few complete muppet squids who think the road is their personal racetrack that give those who don't ride bikes the idea that ALL motorcyclists are maniacs.
There was a single motorcycle accident just up the road from us yesterday - and while we don't know whether a roo jumped out in front of him or not, the comments on the article reporting the news were all car drivers saying 'motorcycles should be banned they're all maniacs'.
Some riders not only ride like morons they also don't position themselves on the road accordingly and sit in blind spots which doesn't help.

On a positive note, congrats on the new amp, Blackstar make great sounding gear.
I've got a UK made Vox AC30 :)

EllenGtrGrl

I hear you mate - my other half and I love to have fun but we're always conscious of the fact we're on a road and not all car drivers bother to look for bikes so there's a high chance someone could hit us, and therefore we ride accordingly. it's these few complete muppet squids who think the road is their personal racetrack that give those who don't ride bikes the idea that ALL motorcyclists are maniacs.
There was a single motorcycle accident just up the road from us yesterday - and while we don't know whether a roo jumped out in front of him or not, the comments on the article reporting the news were all car drivers saying 'motorcycles should be banned they're all maniacs'.
Some riders not only ride like morons they also don't position themselves on the road accordingly and sit in blind spots which doesn't help.

On a positive note, congrats on the new amp, Blackstar make great sounding gear.
I've got a UK made Vox AC30 :)

Thanks! Oh cool! You play guitar? What do you have? I have 2 electrics (Fender 50s Vintera Telecaster, and Heritage H535 {basically their version of an ES-335]), and 3 acoustics (Taylor 150e 12-string [my church band guitar], Waterloo WL-12 00/parlor guitar, and Eastman E2OM-CD). I wish I could find one of the acoustic guitars that my grandfather made before he died in 1971 (he was a luthier, and made me my first guitar, when I was 6 years old), but I can't find any info on 200 or so guitars he made, and my uncle (Guitar Generation #2 in the family), won't give up any of the guitars he has, that my grandfather made (including the one grandpa made for me, that I foolishly gave to my uncle, when I was 16).

I'd really love to get in another heavy rock band (I've usually played lead guitar in my bands, and I love my high gain tones), but at age 56, everybody expects you to play classic rock, country, or da blooze in a mom & dad band. Oh well.

Maybe I'll plug in, and play some Tool on the '535 (hollow body and semi-hollowbody guitars sound sooooo throaty at high gain). BTW, do you get your other half to carry that boat anchor of an AC30 for you (a great sounding amp IMO)? I used to play through heads and 2X12 cabs, and even those were a pain to lug.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
500 mile service is just an oil change and a once over you can do yourself in a parking garage.

EllenGtrGrl

(Offtopic) Ladies, you both know Emily Burton (Fireball Ministry)?

I'm always checking out new bands, and I hadn't heard of them before, so I took a look - pretty good! They definitely have the So Cal Desert Rock sound. I see that their bass player is Scott Reeder, who used to be in Kyuss (I've been listening to Kyuss since the 90s). Emily has some formidable guitar chops.

Lately I've been getting more into Tool (who I've been listening to since the early 90s) - especially since I was able to finally to score a new CD format copy of their latest album "Fear Inoculum", without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money for it (it was still expensive at $35, but at least it wasn't the $60 plus price the CDs were typically going for [sorry, I don't do the super fan thing, and I don't need all of the extra multimedia junk that came with the uber expensive versions of the CD]). I could have gotten the album cheaper in digital format, but .mp3 files aren.t full fidelity. With the CD, I could rip the music into high fidelity digital .wav file format (which is what I did, so I could listen to the album at work on my computer), and have another CD for my collection. :)

EllenGtrGrl

Easier to show you:
View attachment 1431

I can carry my amp ok most of the time, just need a hand to lift it in and out of the car or up stairs.

Ooh! Noice Guitarsenal! I see you have what looks like a Gretsch 5120. I used to be a Gretsch nut - for me, it was Country Clubs. I got rid of my last one about 3 or 4 years ago, due to me having a love/hate relationship with FilterTron pickups. They have a cool, unique sound, but at times, compared to a PAF-style humbucker (yes, a FilterTron is a humbucker - it is just made differently than your more common PAF-style humbucker), they sound kind of underwhelming to me. I've loved the sound of the Gretsches I've had for doing AC/DC, early Neil Young; and Stephen Stills stuff, Band of Skulls, etc., but then I found them lacking for the the other music I play, so they wound up going bye-bye. I've debated with myself about getting another Country Club (I've had several over the years, and it seems to be one of those guitars I can't get over - sooner or later, if I get rid of one, I wind up buying another one), but Proline Gretsches a pricey!

Here's a photo of Emerald, my second to last Country Club
49154831753_31b1f9ac68_c.jpg

I'm kind of the same way with 7-string guitars (of which I've had a few). They're fun to have, but don't always work out so well, in the band situations I've been in.

edgelett

yep it's a Gretsch Electromatic 5120. Great guitar, my other half bought it for me when we went to the US in 2009.
my Strat is a mexican strat with Kinman pickups, Tele is a mexican tele with Kinman pickups, Les Paul is an Epiphone with Seymore Duncans.

The strat, tele and les paul are my main guitars. The Gretsch is a great guitar but I use that mainly on recordings for different tones to fill out the tracks.
ps -this is my band ;) https://www.facebook.com/TheIrresponsibles/

EllenGtrGrl

Thanks for the band link. :) It's always nice to run into another woman rocker. :) Lucky you! You're young enough that you can get away with seriously rocking out (which you were doing with your Les Paul in the Facebook photo of you playing). Being just shy of 57, I'm considered too old for that kind of stuff. :( To throw gasoline on the fire, what was I just listening to? System of a Down's "Toxicity". You can play it on a 6-string down tuned two steps to Concert C, but IMO, it's more practical, and flexible musically to play it on a 7-string, so my 7-string GAS has been reignited. The problem is, most 7-strings are of the super-Strat variety, which bores me to tears. If I can get my hands on another Schecter Jazz 7, like I used to have (they're not very common), I might seriously consider getting another 7. The thing is, I have to take into account my severe nickel and chromium (which is used in stainless steel) allergies, which means coughing up around $400 for a refret job to get the frets replaced (almost all guitar have nickel alloy frets) with hypo-allergenic frets. Must think about this...........

My old Schecter Jazz 7, when it was delivered to my office at work (I've had bad experiences in the past with UPS home delivery, so I have expensive things delivered to work)
33915759488_961f0de4b8_c.jpg

EllenGtrGrl

Are you kidding me? I’m turning 55 this year and still plan on seeing as many bands as possible. Plans/tickets so far: Jinjer, Faith No More, SOAD, Kørn...

Well, yeah. You're from my generation (Gen X) - we were the original thrash and alt-metal kids. There are plenty of us still listeing to that stuff. Playing it in a band though - not really that common, unless you're already in a well established band (especially around here in the midwest). In some ways it's like this video short that features Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains - mom and dad band city!!

Max Kool

Oh yeah, bands like the Cure have become a parody of themselves, and even Marilyn Manson, hmm has lost the edge imho...