Stuck front axle

noksterism

So I got the bike out today for a few hours. In track mode with ABS/TC off, everything felt completely normal. 🤔

Now I'm thinking maybe my problem is indeed that nick on the sensor. The ABS ring looks fine. The gap to the sensor looks consistent through the entire rotation. Argh.

Last edited:

Max Kool

i don’t think there’s anything wrong with the ABS unless you have errors and warning lights.

noksterism

Cleaned up the pads and rotors today. No difference. I'm assuming it's the speed sensor at this point. Looks like it got nicked pretty good. 20211205_161942.jpg

noksterism

Got a fresh front ABS sensor installed today.... aaaaand... no dice. The same exact issue.

This time I left ABS on and got it up to speed and mashed the brakes and ended up getting an error code relating to bad input from the speed sensor.

I'm not sure what the heck else could be wrong - the ABS ring looks normal, not bent or anything, as far as I can tell.

noksterism

does your new sensor show any contact from ring? I have extra rings too. PM me
No contact on new one.

In any case, with the warmer weather today (no garage here, just a driveway and shed), I was able to take a minute to get the bike up on stands and take a closer look at the ABS ring. Don't know how I didn't notice it before but it isn't true after all. There's a subtle bend in one spot, so hopefully mystery solved.

Will PM you now, thanks.

noksterism

Wheel off, flipped the ABS ring so the bend was out towards me, gave it a little encouragement back into shape with a hammer. Seems to have resolved the issue. 👌👌

Thanks all for the support.

Last edited:

MilwDave

That pulsing is largely to blame to the stock pads, and the -uneven- deposits they sometimes leave on the rotors.

I switched to EBC HH and the slow pulsing went away within 1000 miles. Much better.

Later on I switched to Brembo SC pads, which are literally a dream on the FTR.
Did you mean SA pads? I couldn’t find any reference to SC pads on Brembo’s website.