The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars

Bad'Tude

@Hanson, have you seen this book? One of my buddies gave it to me for Christmas last year and I couldn't put it down. It has excellent photography and there was a lot of information in it that I wasn't aware of. I saw that you have a HD and you're looking at getting the FTR 1200, so I thought you might interested. This would be a great read for anyone, though, and I highly recommend it.

Hanson

@Bad'Tude, thanks for the suggestion, man! I'll definitely be getting myself a copy of that!

@Dustin, I completely agree. Honestly, the only reason I got the Harley was because someone I knew was selling it at the right price and it was the right time for me to buy. I knew it was well kept and so I didn't really shop around - just grabbed it. Not that I regret it in any way, but if it hadn't fallen into my lap like it did, I probably would have looked around and gone with an Indian.

Dustin

Sometimes it happens that way. You can like one brand better than another, but a good deal is a good deal. Being timely doesn't hurt either.

That Guy

Some guys are hardcore about their affiliations though. Going outside their brand loyalty would be like you or me cheating on our significant other. You just don't do that.

Knox

I need to check that one out. I know people who are super loyal to a particular brand, but I think all motorcycle enthusiasts benefit when there's lots of competition for our money. It pushes each brand to their limit and encourages them to create unique styles and incorporate new technology.

K9F

The suggestion about people being hardcore about their affiliations amazes me. I too ride a Harley Davidson and it is a behemoth of a machine weighing in at over 1000lbs, silky gear change it has not, I have driven Massey Ferguson tractors with better gear change, it is what I call a 'warts 'n' all' type vehicle but comfortable as hell on longer straight haul journeys. They like Indian have a huge following and a great heritage which are great selling points. I also have a small 390 KTM Duke that I love thrashing about the lanes on and commuting. I currently love both bikes for completely different reasons. One bike just cannot seem to tick all my boxes. The KTM is going to be replaced by the FTR. I don't expect any warts whatsoever with this machine and the roadshow bikes I have seen together with the information supplied it promises to be an exciting experience. I personally ride what suits and have done for quite a while swapping marques throughout the years. Nevertheless one important mitigating factor was that the possibility of owning two different brands of iconic American Motorcycles at the same time, was for me at my time of life, just a little too much to resist.

Even the mere mention of an Indian on a certain Harley forum gets certain people all fired up and their 'gums bumping' and vice versa. Some people really do need to relax a little, open their eyes and minds to be a little more understanding and tolerant about other people's perceptions and experiences perhaps? Especially when there are threads specifically designated to other marques of motorcycles of which the complainers often have no experience whatsoever?

Last edited:

Bad'Tude

@K9F, I hear ya, man. You're spot on with that assessment and I'm not a big fan of people putting anything into boxes. Life isn't a once-size-fits-all ride and while I can appreciate being an enthusiast of certain makes, brands, flavors, colors, sizes, etc. (obviously I'm going beyond bikes here), I think it's very limiting to put yourself in a corner with one thing. It's one of the reasons I really like this forum so far. I see everyone talking about other bikes and we're all being respectful of tastes. Let them bump gums on other sites and we'll be happy here. 😀

Knox

Do you guys remember when Consumer Reports put together their guide on buying motorcycles and a whole slew of Harley-Davidson owners were absolutely offended by it? I think it was around 2016. The bike maker wasn't rated high enough, according to many fans. Some people definitely take that stuff seriously and are loyal to Harley-Davidson like a dedicated spouse.

K9F

Any Harley-Davidson owner worth their salt and with a little savvy will readily admit many of the bikes have their foibles. Look at the trouble the pre 2006 twin cam engines had with their sprung cam tensioners and also the not so new Milwaukee 8 engines with 'sumping' issues that even some dealerships are in denial about? One poor guy is on his fourth engine at 6k miles. Why did I buy one? Regardless of my reasoning heritage and following asides I'm well over 50 have grey hair a slight gut so I can slip in amongst the rest of the owners unnoticed. Joviality asides I do like my Harley and it's a keeper, my days of riding arse up reaching for a set of bars, legs out behind are over, as for the inevitable slowing down of reaction time with age?......I intend putting that to the test on my next partnership with the FTR once I harmonise my own limitations with the great capabilities of the machine itself. Dedicated spouse I most certainly am not as I am about to get a bit on the side which has it's very own and different attractions.

Pdiddy

At 58 years of age I'm always perplexed at the taking sides thing. For example I have owned ford, nissan, dodge and chevy trucks. They were all good trucks. Each had its strengths but all good capable trucks. I looked at an Indian Road Master at my local dealer and was blown away at every aspect.of the bike. Modern electronics, style and proven dependability. Just a gorgeous bike. As a former motorcycle tech with 30 years of dealer level experience my suggestion to those that take sides in motorcycle trash talk is this, be a motorcyclist, period. Enjoy all forms of motorcycle fun. Dont get sucked into hateful rhetoric. Its whats wrong in this country right now. Just be a motorcyclist and enjoy life. If dirt riding is your thing, enjoy. If roadracing is your thing enjoy. Forget the haters.

K9F

............Enjoy all forms of motorcycle fun. Dont get sucked into hateful rhetoric. Its whats wrong in this country right now. Just be a motorcyclist and enjoy life. If dirt riding is your thing, enjoy. If roadracing is your thing enjoy. Forget the haters.

Now that right there is great advice! It can also be applied to numerous factors including the recent churlish kindergarten type thread where another Indian Forum was berated along with those that run it because someone felt the uncontrollable desire to spit their dummy out. Live and let live!

DJ121

At 58 years of age I'm always perplexed at the taking sides thing. For example I have owned ford, nissan, dodge and chevy trucks. They were all good trucks. Each had its strengths but all good capable trucks. I looked at an Indian Road Master at my local dealer and was blown away at every aspect.of the bike. Modern electronics, style and proven dependability. Just a gorgeous bike. As a former motorcycle tech with 30 years of dealer level experience my suggestion to those that take sides in motorcycle trash talk is this, be a motorcyclist, period. Enjoy all forms of motorcycle fun. Dont get sucked into hateful rhetoric. Its whats wrong in this country right now. Just be a motorcyclist and enjoy life. If dirt riding is your thing, enjoy. If roadracing is your thing enjoy. Forget the haters.
Couldn’t agree more!

D

Deleted member 706

In both cases "Fuck the factory" applies, despite the fact that both factories produce good quality bikes from time to time.

DJ121

When I was growing up motorcycle purchases were measured in hundreds of dollars. My second bike was an RD 350 that wasn’t running when I bought it…my first bike…an Indian 100 ⭐️😊

Wayne

I'm now 65, man that sounds old; in the last 53 years I have ridded everything from old two smoke motocrossers to today's 450 motocross monsters, Norton Commandos, Triumph Trident, Bonney's, Kawasaki two stroke triples, CBRs, and GSXRs. I loved them all. I'm down to two bikes, an HD Street Glide and Indian FTR RR. I ride them for different reasons and while they are very different each other it brings a smile when I ride them for their intended purpose. I have always read any motorcycle magazine I can get my hands on. Magazines are becoming scarce, but I subscribe to several in the US and also read many from the UK. I just love motorcycles. I recently had to give up moto since California has made them so difficult to own and operate. As motorcyclist we are never held in high esteem by the general public or the law makers, so it doesn't pay to be a hater of one brand or type of riding style because that serves the divide and conquer mentality which is a threat to our rights.

DJ121

I'm now 65, man that sounds old; in the last 53 years I have ridded everything from old two smoke motocrossers to today's 450 motocross monsters, Norton Commandos, Triumph Trident, Bonney's, Kawasaki two stroke triples, CBRs, and GSXRs. I loved them all. I'm down to two bikes, an HD Street Glide and Indian FTR RR. I ride them for different reasons and while they are very different each other it brings a smile when I ride them for their intended purpose. I have always read any motorcycle magazine I can get my hands on. Magazines are becoming scarce, but I subscribe to several in the US and also read many from the UK. I just love motorcycles. I recently had to give up moto since California has made them so difficult to own and operate. As motorcyclist we are never held in high esteem by the general public or the law makers, so it doesn't pay to be a hater of one brand or type of riding style because that serves the divide and conquer mentality which is a threat to our rights.
Yes well said, we need to realize we have more in common than we think, and yet can celebrate our differences. I have often spoken to bagger brothers and said "hey you should check out MotoGP or MotoAmerica" and they look at me like I have 3 heads. I'm like dude we're all motorcycle guys, it doesn't matter what type of motorcycle you ride, don't you want to see the best motorcycle riders in the world?" I had one custom Victory owner say "yeah the bagger series is cool because it's hard to make them go fast, but anyone can make an R1 go fast at the track", "I've got news for you I said, you or I could get on that R1 but we can't make it go MotoAmerica fast, or even get close to a lap time these guys turn with those bikes. Essentially it's the bike AND the rider. Consider that there are basically 24 people on earth 🌎 that can ride a MotoGp bike at race pace, probably more like 21 (no exaggeration). More people can climb Everest in one day than will ride MotoGP in 20 years. More people can play NFL QB or NBA hoops, than can ride a GP bike, the data bears this out. Cheers ya'll :) - D.J.

Last edited: