Tracker wheels on FTR Rally

Roach1114

Does anyone know if the Roland Sands tracker wheels will fit on a 2022 FTR rally? It says on the Indian website that they will fit a 2020 rally but says nothing about the 22 year models.

edgelett

Does anyone know if the Roland Sands tracker wheels will fit on a 2022 FTR rally? It says on the Indian website that they will fit a 2020 rally but says nothing about the 22 year models.
those wheels are 18/19 inch.
what wheels does your 2022 Rally have?

SURGEFTR

Yes. Your '22 Rally wheels are 19 front / 18 rear just like the tracker wheels. The rear tone rings are a direct swap from wire wheels to tracker wheels. You will need to swap the front Left tone ring bearing from your wire wheel into the tracker wheel.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes. You have to install the abs bearing from your own wheel into the tracker wheel though.

since your 2022 doesn’t use the tone ring like the 2019 does

Roach1114

Well, I ordered the tracker wheels with Michelin commander 2's while I had my FTR at dealer for 500 mile break in service today. I'll post a picture when they are installed.

Roach1114

That’s a surprising tire choice.
How come? I've only been riding a few weeks and not very knowledgeable on these things. It's the tire my dealer recommended. We did try a couple other tires but she said they weren't available in my size. I did do a little research while there and was concerned about it being a "cruiser" tire, I asked two different sales people and they agreed it would be a good tire for the FTR.

SURGEFTR

How come? I've only been riding a few weeks and not very knowledgeable on these things. It's the tire my dealer recommended. We did try a couple other tires but she said they weren't available in my size. I did do a little research while there and was concerned about it being a "cruiser" tire, I asked two different sales people and they agreed it would be a good tire for the FTR.

Max Kool

They’re designed for heavyweight bikes, have a stiff carcass and a rubber compound to last very long (at the expense of grip). As long as you’re touring relaxed on dry pavement they’re probably fine, but add a wet or twisty road and they can become a problem.

FTR London

They prolly sell a lot of cruisers. 😉
Definitely this.

I hadn't noticed the tyre choice, because the RS tracker wheels are so beautiful - I glossed over the tyre when he said he'd ordered them. I agree, weird choice.

They’re designed for heavyweight bikes, have a stiff carcass and a rubber compound to last very long (at the expense of grip). As long as you’re touring relaxed on dry pavement they’re probably fine, but add a wet or twisty road and they can become a problem.

As you say Max, they were developed for the touring cruiser market - hence the longevity you refer to. As I understood it though, although you know far more about it than I do, one of the selling features of the Commander II is its improved traction, stability and maneuverability in the wet? Perhaps its predecessor was that bad that anything is an improvement? :LOL:

So what's the downside if any of putting the commander 2's on a FTR?
Thanks for the help.

It's simply an incongruous choice of tyre for the bike, that is designed for different use and a much heavier motorcycle. You'll be in good company though - there's several on here that have made it their life's mission to turn a street tracker into a Dyna Wide Glide 😄

There are however some that wish to steer it in a sportier direction and many on this forum will swear by and testify to the amazing capabilities of the Continental Road Attack 3s- arguably the optimum rubber for this bike alongside the Scorpion Trail II. The response, the feel, and the grip that these tyres afford and the confidence that they inspire - it's as people say, a complete game changer. Brilliant, brilliant tyres for this bike.

It's really is worth changing the order that you've placed with the dealer for the Contis instead. It's a shame that I'm in the UK because I'd offer you mine. I've opted for a more traditional looking dual sport tyre instead (which obviously is less capable as a road tyre).

Quick question. You've "only be riding a few weeks" do you mean the bike, or you're that new to motorcycles? Take it easy. The FTR isn't the most forgiving first motorcycle - even with the concessions of the '22.

Thanks you everyone. I should have joined this forum the day I got home with my FTR.

The combined knowledge on this place is the most useful supplement for your new bike - and it comes for free. There are some members on here that don't miss a trick and it's helped me out no end of times.

Last edited:

Roach1114

New wheels and tires! Let me know what you think. I decided to just keep the commander 2's. I'll change to road attack 3 on my next set.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_163358674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220506_163358674_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220506_162900896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220506_162900896_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 28

mark.lb

Roach1114: I am currently running Michelin Commander IIs on my modified Scout. Although they are marketed as heavy weight cruiser tires I have had good results on a light (550 lbs) cruiser - bar hopper style bike. I primarily chose them for my Scout because of the way the sidewalls look. The rubber compound does indeed last a long time. I have almost 4,000 miles on them and they still look brand new. The tire is actually very good in rain or on wet roads although I try not to ride this Scout in wet conditions. It is too easy to break the rear tire loose. Overall dry grip is surprisingly good. Especially if you are riding in a warm climate and are not aggressively carving corners like Max Kool in California or Ferraiolo1 in central Pennsylvania. If you are using your FTR for everyday riding or commuting to work, you will like the Commander IIs. I have purposely kept my 2019 FTR-RR stock except the Lloyd’z tune and a 90/10 tire. I am on my second set of Bridgestone Battlax A41s. The rear only lasted about 3500. You should get many more miles out of your Michelins.
C66DFEB1-A150-462B-828A-467D5ED66BC2.jpeg