Unplugged instrument panel and now bike wont start- new owner please help!

Adamld

Hey all,

Recently bought a new race replica and after a few hundred miles with no issues wanted to change out a few things, including handlebars. During the installation I unplugged the instrument panel to be safe and after plugging it back in I am unable to start the bike, use blinkers or horn. I did accidentally turn the ignition without it plugged in but did not think that would do anything?

I have checked all fuses, replaced circuit breakers from the dealer, checked battery voltage and unplugged negative terminal to hopefully reset and no dice. Dealer is of no help and I am really trying to avoid towing it to the dealer and fight a warranty claim.

Very bummed as we only have finite riding weather here left in the PNW and want to ride my new bike! Anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks in advance!

Adamld

Dang, check next replaced the 7.5 fuse and checked the battery fuses. All good and no apparent issues there. This is so strange, I’m unable to use the diagnostics on the panel or switch ride modes. It’s lost all functionality. Maybe next trip is dealer sadly.

edgelett

yeah I was about to ask - did you double check the cables on the left and right instrument clusters?

kiwi dave

Dang, check next replaced the 7.5 fuse and checked the battery fuses. All good and no apparent issues there.
If you have an electrical fault, perhaps the 7.5A fuse popped again. The easiest way to check is to use a voltmeter to compare both sides of the fuse. The voltage should be identical.

kiwi dave

Fuses typically have access to the connections on their back. It's just a simple matter of probing these.

I'm only going on memory, but this has been my experience in the past.

Adamld

Thank you all! I’m grateful for all the help especially as a new owner. I’d be remiss to admit the truth especially if someone were to go through the same issue. The connector on the left hand control was not PLUGGED IN ALL THE WAY.
That slice of humble pie was a big one………