Visiting California brought my bike

DeplorableOne

I got pulled over since the Toce shorty is so damn loud. I'll be out here until April and the officer threatened impounding it. I ordered the decibel killer for while I'm here. Can anyone verify it should quiet down enough that if I happen to get stopped again it's not for my exhaust rattling these geriatric locals ear drums?

edgelett

yes it will make your exhaust quieter, as to whether it will prevent the police from giving you a hard time I couldn't tell you sorry.

DeplorableOne

yes it will make your exhaust quieter, as to whether it will prevent the police from giving you a hard time I couldn't tell you sorry.
I mean as long as it quiets it down quite a bit, cause it's super loud now. I'm sure I'd be less likely to be hassled about it if it wasn't so loud

edgelett

I mean as long as it quiets it down quite a bit, cause it's super loud now. I'm sure I'd be less likely to be hassled about it if it wasn't so loud
I have the DB killer in my Toce and I find the volume fine even on long (4+ hours) rides. so yeah you should be ok 👍

DeplorableOne

Nice, I wear earplugs when I ride so it doesn't bother me, but the cop at least didn't give me too much hassle just explained the California law to me and let me go

edgelett

Nice, I wear earplugs when I ride so it doesn't bother me, but the cop at least didn't give me too much hassle just explained the California law to me and let me go
my Toce with the DB killer in was slightly quieter than my hubby's HD Roadster with Vance and Hines pipes. so you'll be ok xx

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I thought that db law was only applicable to vehicles over a certain weight and wouldn’t affect motorcycles.
Because the toce is no louder than most Harley or crotch rocket exhausts.

DeplorableOne

I thought that db law was only applicable to vehicles over a certain weight and wouldn’t affect motorcycles.
Because the toce is no louder than most Harley or crotch rocket exhausts.
I'm in Palm Springs and from what I can figure out it's technically against a local ordinance however I would doubt the officers have DB meters in their vehicle to properly measure any sort of sound level. I would bet that Harley owners are not hassled about it as there are many many groups I've seen out riding together

DeplorableOne

Got the DBK in. Works great, still sounds the same, just quieter. I think this will keep me from getting pulled over it being so damn loud while I'm here in Cali. I lost the OG ring to the canister though, think it got thrown away by accident.

I did the backpacking out there. California is $2,000 richer between permits, fees, and tickets. Never going back but I had to cross crap off the life.

TBH, cops out there are extremely militant and they don't care about people at all. Good luck, blew my mind for sure. Love my cops back home, no fuss unless you're a DUI kinda problem. Flip lights on at bikes then flip them off, no chase policy, we have scanners in our local groups... "bikes on blah, bikes by blah, bikes moved to blah" is all we hear. You'd be shocked what you hear in CA with scanners but be careful they'll imprison you for scanning out there. Been over 20 years since a cop got shot here, etc etc. Good times good times. F CA policing.

Also, Fresno is chill, only place I ever felt welcome in the whole state. Be it locals or Cops.

Do a pre trip religiously in the "costall" towns. Loud exhaust cars and bikes often have things loosened on them such as caliper bolts and wheel lugnuts (locals not cops). I have a lot of friends in SoCal, seriously good luck lol. You will comply with stock vehicle laws or you will be taxed to kingdom come. Its just taxation, dunno why the cops get off on it so hard in coastal/SoCal when its just pay to get bike back, pay to be loud, pay to go fast, pay to play. Would be nice if they'd just admit they're tax collectors and drop the militant bs.

I moved to highest property tax area in my city to get away from "problems" as the privi's call them. I get it, but CA takes it to a whole nother level.

Last edited:
That is freaking awesome. I'm super happy to hear its not like that at all. Its not just CA cities but a lot of places that are stricter on cars n bikes imo. My friends that live there don't have issues but they're all very default NPC's so not much to go on as a resident here. I just know as a visitor it was very much like that, every time.

When I went to a wedding in Santa Barbara I had no over policing issues that one single of many trips. I was driving a rental Toyota, not a loud/modified vehicle with out of state tags that trip. All my other trips I was not pulled over for speeding but for tint (they had a tint meter), exhaust (they had a DB meter), not yielding in LA (nobody was yielding it was gridlock hours), etc etc... It was mainly areas with household median income type towns, not just the whole state. Hell I even got pulled over in Compton visiting my friend just because they wanted to chat and warn me about a street over from where I was, supposedly (I did appear lost cuz my GPS didn't realize it was dirt graded roads for miles in the very large city temporarily and I was just trying to get off the BDR of compton before my struts overheated from the grading) lol.

How the heck am I gonna fix my tint and drive/fly back to go to court or fix my exhaust. Its such a cop out to tell me its a tentative citation when its not even a law back home and cite me to fix it when I return home. Hell a highway patrol even flexed on my non DOT headlights cuz they were euro code OEM upgrades on one car. Just cuz. I said "dude" and mispoke that time, calling him dude was a problem I almost got impounded after that and he wanted me to thank him for not impounding me.

Nothing but bad experiences here as a visitor in my nice OEM+ but very modified euro's over the years. I enjoyed visiting but man was it expensive. None of the citations ended up getting spent in local businesses or tourist traps, as I budget everything. Acting that way was counter productive but I do understand taxes come first the rest second so I do get it for what its worth, not mad.

Last edited: