Weight Reductions

M9Carbon22

What is a reasonable amount of weight savings that can be done to the 22 Carbon R?
I have seen various post mention
-Exhaust
-Battery
-The Human attached
-Tail Tidy
-Wheels

Doing all that what weight are you down to?. Is it worth it?

Max Kool

Shaving off 30lbs should be possible with a different battery, Toce and tail tidy. Most of this weight is carried low, so I wonder if I’d would feel it riding street only.

Wheels may save another 4-5 lbs per wheel, but don’t forget that’s a reduction from 38 to 34 ish lbs per complete wheel; brake rotor(s), sprocket, tire.

And yes, the human factor… 😛

Whether it’s worth it? In my experience I start noticing weight loss only after a bike lost over 10% or more…

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Mine is down to 473lbs wet, carbon wheels is the only other thing i could do, or full ti hardware.

Crisfmx

Unless your planning to actually race it in some shape or form your not going to notice any difference (unless your hopefully not picking it up off the floor) change those items if you like how they look or sound the bike is more capable than 99.9% of people who ride them otherwise it’s going to cost you ££££$$$$$ for little difference for most of us

Max Kool

Agreed. I used to work as a bicycle repair dude ages ago and would have customers spending hundreds of dollars to shave half a pound off their mountain bike. Typically 220lbs+ guys....

That said, shaving weight off your motorcycle is a hobby too... and a lighter exhaust and battery are quick wins (people change these over time anyway).

(ps, you post was in bold, which looks like you're trying to talk really loud.) ;)

Crisfmx

😁😁 sorry about the bold thing,was just set that way new to all this forum thing but learning fast.
Totally agree changing stock items is a hobby but know of many bikers who have spent thousands on their bike in the quest for ultimate performance but still have the chicken strips on their tyres I guess it comes down to how much spare cash you have to spend

Crisfmx

Ok I guess it’s just me because I’m just a bit of a slow rider,I’ve got an S but that’s only because there were no used base ftr for sale in the UK at the time I knew I was never going to need adjustable suspension or sport mode because I’d never ride it that hard for them to make a difference

Keles

Eating little and losing weight is very effective and cheap. Everything else is expensive and not necessary for the road. if I would get carbon rims, that is again very expensive.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The good thing is you can drop almost 30lbs off the bike and not really spend extra money. Most of the weight loss is from performance gains.

once you start changing ti bolts and stuff is when you’re spending money for no reason ;)

Max Kool

Oh you can tell. Almost 40lbs off a bike is noticeable when I ride a stock one.
Nearly forgot to add, and very important. Shaving weight off your bike is often a step by step approach. Battery one day, three months later exhaust, a nut here, a bracket there. As a result you don’t feel it until you ride a bog stock one again.

K9F

Reported!!!

;)
(Note: If I spend it, the kids don't get anything)

I agree wholeheartedly.

Thread resurrection time. With all the discussions about weight loss (something that has never bothered me much apart from midriff) I cannot for the life of me shake the idea of buying the bike below off my mind. Impressive performance figures with a weight of 370lbs dry. Of course affordability is the key here and one of my two bikes would have to go. Nevertheless this bike comes with Kineo wheels as standard and a lifetime warranty. Please post all the negativity you can about my latest 'must have' that I certainly don't really need!

IMG_2145.JPG

Staedtler

I agree wholeheartedly.

Thread resurrection time. With all the discussions about weight loss (something that has never bothered me much apart from midriff) I cannot for the life of me shake the idea of buying the bike below off my mind. Impressive performance figures with a weight of 370lbs dry. Of course affordability is the key here and one of my two bikes would have to go. Nevertheless this bike comes with Kineo wheels as standard and a lifetime warranty. Please post all the negativity you can about my latest 'must have' that I certainly don't really need!
If that's an itch you need to scratch and can scratch it, then go ahead! Did you say whether you've test ridden one yet?

Reactions: K9F

K9F

No I resisted the salesman’s persistence to test ride despite being very sorely tempted as the Indian would probably already be history metaphorically speaking! I was glad to leave the dealership and put it some distance behind me! It is indeed a huge itch but I am seeking reasons not to scratch it at the moment! Hell I think it’s so beautifully packaged I would be prepared to hang it on the living room wall as fine art but others in the household would not be so keen on that idea!

mark.lb

K9F: 2021 Dragsters can be had in the US for around $20,000.00. Certainly not a financial deal breaker. They are indeed beautiful bikes. At age 63 however - I am no longer capable of using the machine as it is designed and intended to be used. I am in full transition mode from sport bikes to cruisers! I will keep my FTR around for the foreseeable future. It is all the sport bike I need right now.

But if you have the itch and skill - Go for it! As you say - (Treat every day as your last.)

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Thanks for the input Guys. I can only keep two bikes and whilst I agree the MV and FTR are different the difference isn't substantial enough for me. Whether I take the plunge or not I have just turned 60 and bearing Mark. lb's comment about 'transition' with which I can agree, my other bike is definitely a keeper for the time being as it falls totally at the opposite end of the spectrum. My desire may pass with a little time unless I can bag a deal on their ex-demo or remaining stock from this year perhaps? We shall see. I won't be too gutted as I do love the Indian after the time and dime I have spent getting it where it is today over the preceding two years of ownership.

IMG_2052.jpg