Weight Reductions

K9F

You can get one......but make sure it is this one. You have my permission (after that cat gets painted black). :cool:

Thank you so much, I do like the color but unfortunately there are no last year models left. Exhausts have changed, as has the cat for this year, and the color choice to drab light grey or drab dark grey both denim which is a minor disappointment. The Brutale is nice, cheaper too but doesn't come with the nice Kineo spoked wheels.

cupcake_mike

If you wanted to save a few bucks (maybe, not sure how prevalent they are on your side of the pond), buy a Buell 1125CR. Very similar bike, performance and weight wise. No nanny aides. An absolute steal at 140hp and 85 ft/lbs, see them over here for $4k all day long. I bought mine with 10k miles, fully sorted, for $2700. It feels very much like the FTR, just a bit lower and with more top end (pulls a couple thousand higher in the revs). No single sided swingarm or spokes, though. It does have the market cornered on quirky styling, if the MV does it for you in that respect.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Apologies for anyone that may be disgruntled by the thread hijack. It wasn't intended.

I haven't met a single Buell rider who either hasn't regretted selling it or bought another having sold it. Buells hold their value very well over here and are sought after. For example a 2007 XB12S with 22000 miles on the clock will still fetch over $8000 in your money, a 2000 X1 Lightning with 27000 miles $6800. I see a couple of them at the local bike meets the purple one being my favorite. Both of which are in stunning condition. The lower bike the "One Wife Leave It" paintwork would have to go.

Buell.jpg

Buell1.jpg

Last edited:

Timps27

Wish I had been riding when Buell was making new bikes…would love to add one to my stable some day.

cupcake_mike

Wish I had been riding when Buell was making new bikes…would love to add one to my stable some day.

Well, if your definition of "new" is using 7 year old parts to assemble "new" bikes, you are in luck, production starts on Nov. 1

motocroft

I agree wholeheartedly.

Thread resurrection time. With all the discussions about weight loss (something that has never bothered me much apart from midriff) I cannot for the life of me shake the idea of buying the bike below off my mind. Impressive performance figures with a weight of 370lbs dry. Of course affordability is the key here and one of my two bikes would have to go. Nevertheless this bike comes with Kineo wheels as standard and a lifetime warranty. Please post all the negativity you can about my latest 'must have' that I certainly don't really need!

View attachment 4971
The Brutale are a lovely thing for sure - have a read of my article here from the Aussie launch of the current series.
MV Agusta Brutale 800RR — delicious | by motocroft | Medium

Before seriously considering ownership I would encourage you to look at sprag clutch and starter failures for this series (includes F3 too, same base engine platform).

They are a very nice bike for sure - my hesitation would come from previous Aprilia ownership and parts availability and severe price gouging.
Now, this hesitation is amplified living in Australia as anything Euro/Exotic is ludicrously expensive to maintain down under.

Last edited:

edgelett

They are a very nice bike for sure - my hesitation would come from previous Aprilia ownership and parts availability and sever price gouging.
Now, this hesitation is amplified living in Australia as anything Euro/Exotic is ludicrously expensive to maintain down under.
As the wife of someone who owned an older Brutale for a few years in Adelaide where there was one MV dealer - there will never be another MV owned in this household again lol.
Not after the great 'my bike is 3 years old and it's falling apart' incidents of 2014-2015

K9F

Lifetime Warranty offered with the MVs so they appear to be standing behind their product. The clutch which they have been developing over the preceding 6 years needs it's own service every 7500 miles. Rode the FTR last night to a bike meet at a place called Rivo's Hub. Riding the FTR always dampens my enthusiasm for spending out lots more money on another bike I don't really need. Going to the MV dealership today just for a run out.

IMG_2170.jpg

K9F

Which model MV are we talking about here? The Brutale 800 has a Recluse clutch…

Either that are badged as SCS.

The two models with the addition SCS are technically upgraded compared to the standard models, because SCS stands for Smart Clutch System, i.e. a semi-automatic gearshift.
This makes it possible to ride the two naked bikes without having to use the clutch lever.

Panic and dilemma over for the time being. Fantastically formed vehicle but not as expected. The FTR is 30% heavier but delivers 117Nm of maximum torque at 6000rpm. The MV 87Nm at 10100rpm. Great compact bike to ride but the clutch takes some getting used to I can tell you. For the time being the FTR remains and I am glad. The FTR is also better for longer jaunts and carrying stuff.

mark.lb

K9F: Pull the trigger! Once you’ve broken the 20,000£ barrier and the shock wears off, just throw in a few more shillings for a custom paint job and make it your own!

The wife will eventually calm down. Mine takes about two weeks after a new bike purchase! But a few nights on the couch is worth it…..

Max Kool

Lifetime Warranty offered with the MVs so they appear to be standing behind their product. The clutch which they have been developing over the preceding 6 years needs it's own service every 7500 miles.
Hey @K9F you got a source for that? A buddy of mine has one and he may want to know more about it.