Well I ran out of gas tonight…

Pdstaib9

Lol. Ran out of gas on the 91 fwy in so cal tonight. I definitely learned my lesson after the 3/4 mile walk uphill pushing my FTR to the next gas station. I clocked 102 miles since the Previous fill up and refilled 3.8 gallons. Crappy thing is maybe 5 miles before it sputtered out my dash said 32 miles remaining and about a mile before dying it switched to low fuel.

definitely got my work out in for today.

Wayne

I learned that my distance to empty is completely unreliable. It is not the fuel sender in my case. The fuel sender resistance measures perfectly though its range of travel. I think it is more related to the electronics. I have not checked but it could be related to a high resistance connection in one of the connectors. It seemed when I first bought the bike that is was close to accurate but that changed sometime after I changed the handlebars or so I believe. At times the distance to empty will jump from somewhere around 110 after filling up to as high as 168 miles then eventually come back to numbers a little closer to reality. I use my trip meter and fuel up at around 100 miles traveled.

I still remember all too well pushing my Norton Commando over eight miles one night in Denver in search of an open gas station. Pushing up a very tall off-ramp was a killer but leaving the bike was not even a consideration. This was before cell phones and the AMA’s road side assistance program.