What I really dislike about the Indian FTR 1200...

FTR London

No 'needling' intended but when Dynojet wrote you your custom map for free did you have to 'Log rides' and then send them the information for them to write you the tune? Just wondering what information they used to build you the tune. I would imagine doing it from scratch without the log files won't be any more effective than any other of the generic canned maps that get supplied from them.

I was sent two maps by Fuelmoto with the instructions to run each one for 100 miles and then load which one was best. 100 miles is nothing! I enjoyed the first map so much I kept it on for over 350 miles before curiosity got the better of me and I tried the second. With the first map I had slight over-fueling on high rev throttle shut downs which caused popping, personally I quite liked it. The second map was smoother still and has been on for the last year. I also adhered a sticker adjacent to the diagnostic port in the hope it will never get reflashed at the dealership inadvertently.

View attachment 4977
It was solely based on three telephone calls and the .stk file which I sent over.

edgelett

I don't think Dynojet doesn't even write custom maps... they leave that to guys like FM afaik.
Correct - the Dynojet tunes are pretty stock standard, and compared to a tune from Lloydz or FM not very good to be honest.
slight improvement on stock only.

As for the auto blip - mine was so bad when I got it that i nearly went up the back end of someone else in a corner once.
it's a bit better since getting the V5 tune but it's still there and catches me out from time to time, particularly when gearing down from 3rd to 2nd. have to really ride the clutch.

Max Kool

Ah ok, that blip. :(

I got the feeling he had some sort of autoblip while shifting down (like a blipper does).

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah all the Dyno jet maps they give you with the tuner are EXTREMELY basic and just enough to keep it to where your engine won’t suffer damages if you decat it.

since you already have the tuner, other companies will write you an actual tune for not much money.

Timps27

Nor have I, and I have a 6/2019 build right in the range where many complained of it. Although it could be riding style, on this bike I live above 4,500 even on the downshifts.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Auto blip happens when you’re closer to 2k. Usually when you’re entering a slow turn.

Most just have a habit of pulling in the clutch in that range and don’t experience it.

FTR London

Auto blip happens when you’re closer to 2k. Usually when you’re entering a slow turn.

Most just have a habit of pulling in the clutch in that range and don’t experience it.
It isn't strictly 'autoblip' though is it. You are indeed correct, the surging and the cutting out are both occurring in the lower rev range. In respect of the tight turns that you are referring to you may be slipping the clutch and it wont occur, but as I mentioned earlier, intentionally blipping the throttle is in synchrony with with downshift - the whole point is that this is happening before or after the clutch is engaged and usually on the approach. As Tash said, you can react or anticipate it, but at higher speed it is disconcerting.

D

Deleted member 706

/\ I have an inherent wariness about this bike. My last ride up to the playground was the scariest yet, the FTR handled superbly and that's why the bike is still rideable...

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s built into the ecu to keep the bike from stalling at low rpms. The term auto blip is just a generic term being used because most people knows what that feels like. Ryan figured out a way to 100% get rid of it in his ecu flash, which you can’t do with a pv3.

you can also greatly reduce it by putting the bike into track mode and turning off tc.

Last edited:

FTR London

@FTR London
How do feel about refuelling your bike? 😈😜
I guess it's another thing to add to the perceived character assassination. I once owned a Vmax and the tank was also under the seat, but a section popped up so that filling up was, shall we say, more instantaneous as opposed to the glacial slowness and agony of drip feeding and coaxing fuel down the long funnel in the absence of a breather pipe. Actually, in all honesty, I couldn't give a shit - people are in far too much of a hurry these days and it's prompted some interesting if not occasionally banal exchanges during the hour and a half at the pump. And let's face it, on this thing, fuel stops aren't exactly few and far between so you learn to live with it. While I'm on it though, what I don't need prior to starting her up afterwards is that ludicrous warning that appears on the screen when you turn the key. Every....single...time. A virtual tome appears reminding you that motorcycling is dangerous. We all fucking know that. But if you really need a warning that two wheels can be detrimental to your health, then there you have it....ad nauseum. like a stuck record.

I say "character assassination" and although as I said before, she's replete with more issues and attitude problems than a bi-polar ex, to an extent, I genuinely like elements of unpredictability. The notion that a bench flash could lobotomise and sanitise this beast may also erase some of that 'character' that I love which reminds me of some of the bikes I grew up riding. Yeah, the jerky throttle at constant rpm can get in the bin, the surging is manageable and as mentioned, lessened by disabling all the rider aids (which I don't like anyway). The fat linear torque curve more than compensates for all that. What I do need to redress is the cutting out at low revs. As absurd as 'Timps' comment about 'living above 4,500 revs' seemed, - (the issue takes place during deceleration, closed throttle and low rpm and the surging occurs on the downshift, so you have to catch it in tight corners or dense traffic) - I do nonetheless understand what he was getting at. This bike needs to be ragged and it rewards you for doing so. I love the challenge and wouldn't have it any other way. I've put 70 miles in since reinstalling last summer's Dyno flash and as basic and generic as some suggest, it's far, far better than the unspecified tune that had been added. Crisper, more responsive and so far, hasn't cut out or hinted at doing so once. The surging is still there to a lesser extent, but that just keeps you on it. Stock, this is beyond doubt, the worst fuelled bike I've ever ridden, but I have to laugh at stories of people hastily returning them to the showroom. Christ, what the actual fuck would these people have made of some of my previous bikes? So much as a cursory glance at my old 80s RG500 gamma would be PTSD inducing. Tyres, like concrete, elastic chassis, and lightswitch powerband. As well maintained as it was, I rode it with my fingers permanently on the clutch lever in the event of seizure :LOL:. The tank slappers on the Vmax? Came with the paintwork - let's not even go there.

To clarify, this thread was pretty much a way of saying I hate the gold forks and the stupid bloody TV screen, have a bit of a laugh along the way and some degree of self-deprecation in the process. Hilarious then the suggestion that it "sounds like I bought the wrong bike", given a typical thread content on here might be devoted to 'Apple Car Play' and heated grip installation :ROFLMAO:. I absolutely stand by the fact that the marketing from Indian was deceptive. That production was hurried and subsequently compromised for EU release. Having watched videos of the competition based project bike - what then trundled - sorry, lumbered out of Springfield had, shall we say, had gained more than a few pounds, burst out in a few directions and was overly made up than most anticipated, like a tart on a Tinder date who uses four-year-old photos. Shedding some pounds -six months on weight watchers is the first priority, but even so - the FTR still manages to be a plus-sized beauty.

This is the best bike I've owned since my RD350LC - or my first bike, my DT175. Every day, feels like the first one - the anticipation and the thrill of riding it. I've had it since May and the novelty is as though I've just collected it from the dealer. I love the fact that it's a challenging, temperamental, crotchety bitch...feed it what it needs, learn to tame all this with your wrist first, not a laptop or an ECU - and that's what gives it character.

To flash all of that out would be the assassination, as opposed to an OP merely lampooning the ugly stock cosmetics and her ill-mannered demeanour. I enjoy disfunctional relationships with motorcycles - if I didn't I'd buy a bloody Yamaha Tracer and start threads on owner's forums about how to hook up Apple Car Play ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 706

@FTR London
I get what you are saying and find little to nothing to disagree with.
I got sick of waiting for the FTR so I bought a Rocket 3, then I finally bought a base model ex demo bike, I'm fairly happy with it and as it's about to come out warranty I can forget about what dealership might have to say and now I can put the Bassani on and give it a tune. My bike and my responsibility...

FTR London

Rode up to Leicester today to watch us hand it to Man United. Shredded my vocal chords. Bike ran beautifully on the dyno tune. Over 200 miles now since I flashed it back. No issues so far whatsover.

SC-FTRS

Rode up to Leicester today to watch us hand it to Man United. Shredded my vocal chords. Bike ran beautifully on the dyno tune. Over 200 miles now since I flashed it back. No issues so far whatsover.
Congrats on the win. My kids follow EPL like a religion. Chelsea is their Team though because of Pulisic.
Also glad your flash is working great.