What I really dislike about the Indian FTR 1200...

mark.lb

(We may have plowed this ground before.) I believe the reason for the poor sales of the original 2019 FTR 1200 was due to a botched product launch by Indian. I first became aware of a street going version of the FTR shortly after the Travis Pastrana 3 jump TV special in July of 2018. Later in the fall Indian announced they would indeed build a street going FTR. Many including myself rushed to the Indian dealership and put down a deposit on a yet to be seen FTR. In October 2018 I ordered a black base model. Then the waiting started. I was promised a bike by the end of 2018. January then February 2019 came and went - no bike. Then the launch was pushed to March, April. Finally on May 25, 2019 I got a call. Not only had my long awaited bike finally arrived but I had a choice. A black base model or a Race Replica someone ordered but canceled due to the frustration of the long wait for a bike that no one could ride except a few lucky motorcycle press members. I chose the RR. I took delivery, paid the exorbitant price and immediately fell in love with the bike. Others waited well into the summer/fall months of 2019 for their preordered bikes. Tons of preorders were canceled. By the time the bikes were delivered the riding season in the north-east US was over. Show room stock of the FTR was sparse in 2019. Many people lucky enough to throw a leg over at the dealer were disappointed by the tall seat height. Those under 5’9”” need not apply.

The launch was a total disaster for one of the most anticipated and hyped motorcycles in recent memory.

Last edited:

mark.lb

It is now a mute point. The 2019 FTR seat height is 33.1 inches. The 2022 FTR is 30.7 inches. Indian lowered the seat by 2.4 inches.

Not all people who are 5’8”” have the same inseam. I have been in the dealership and watched potential customers throw a leg over a 2019 FTR and barely balance on their tip toes. I suspect most of those potential customers did not buy the bike.

It was definitely “one” of the reasons the 2019 FTR did not sell well.

Max Kool

That’s the height of the pillion seat…

8EBAB8F8-FF06-4937-854F-0BAFBB5A2DCF.jpeg
16432D6E-1296-4A22-A2F6-2590BACB2557.jpeg

you should really measure the height of the lowest point with the bike straight up.

Last edited:

mark.lb

I beg to differ. I just measured my stock 2019 FTR and the pillion seat top is 36-1/2 inches. The seat at the lowest point was 33 inches.

I am done arguing. I made my comments about 2019 FTR slow sales. They are strictly my opinions….take them or leave them.

Timps27

It is now a mute point. The 2019 FTR seat height is 33.1 inches. The 2022 FTR is 30.7 inches. Indian lowered the seat by 2.4 inches.

Not all people who are 5’8”” have the same inseam. I have been in the dealership and watched potential customers throw a leg over a 2019 FTR and barely balance on their tip toes. I suspect most of those potential customers did not buy the bike.

It was definitely “one” of the reasons the 2019 FTR did not sell well.

So they’ve fallen foul of some of the worst motorcycle buying guidance that’s been hanging around for decades with no basis in reality. There is absolutely zero need to flat foot, or even use both feet down on a motorcycle. The correct position at a stop is with your right foot on the peg and pre-loading the rear caliper. I’ve put 40k miles on my Tiger at 34” and have never once in those 40,000 miles had both feet down on him.

Height is only a restriction if you let it be, and again unless you have a shorter inseam and have put miles on this bike specifically with said shorter inseam, please refrain from telling someone how the bike will fit them. You do not know.

Max Kool

You saying Indian's dimensions pic is wrong? That could very well be the case.

I just measured my pillion seat at 38.5" and a bit (and yes my bike is raised about 2").
I am done arguing.
No need to get salty, just trying to get the facts straight for anyone interested. (y)

Max Kool

There is absolutely zero need to flat foot, or even use both feet down on a motorcycle.
Yup, agree. After I raised my bike I can't really flatfoot it anymore. I never consider that a handicap. It's an argument often made by people that previously owned cruisers of some sorts. Ask most dual sport or adventure bike owners...

Timps27

Yup, agree. After I raised my bike I can't really flatfoot it anymore. I never consider that a handicap. It's an argument often made by people that previously owned cruisers of some sorts. Ask most dual sport or adventure bike owners...

That makes sense, in both directions. As I said in the thread on ADV, it’s probably because I’ve mostly ridden dirt bikes and ADV’s that this bike feels small to me. But the overall point is that people who might absolutely LOVE the FTR are being told not to even consider it because someone who isn’t their height said the FTR would be too tall for them.

FTR London

Cold start aside, another gripe - and it has been covered extensively on this forum but rather than bump the thread, I'll mention it here - the engine cutting out. Yes, yes - I know, Ryan@Lloydz - but still undecided on whether to change to the gorgeous Toce low mount system, so I don't want to fork out 360 odd quid for a bench tune, and then require another expensive flash or a dyno run. It died in heavy traffic today - and since you can't simply knock it down a cog and bump it by dumping the clutch - it really is quite concerning. It has done it about half a dozen times on closed throttle at low revs, on the downshift when blipped and twice when stationary and revved - (symptomatic of being excessively rich, but more likely too lean which the crackling and banging on the overrun would suggest). Surely the ECU should b governing this? The circuit breaker recall issue appears to have been addressed since the offending ones have the red dot. Can't envisage it happening at constant or fed throttle - but if it the possibility when bearing down on a decreasing radius corner or flung into a tight mini roundabout is a rather disconcerting thought. It has most recently been flash tuned by dynojet based upon the data on the .stk file but this made the cold start more acute so I reverted to the unspecified non-factory tune that was on there when I bought it which is great in every respect other than the fact that it should have solved this.

Sorry to raise this yet again.

edgelett

Cold start is definitely an issue and I know a couple of people who returned their bikes here in Adelaide because of it, as they weren't aware of the tune to fix it.
As for the height - it almost WAS a deal breaker for me.
i'm 5'7" and when I first got the FTR i could barely get my tippy toe down. that, combined with the weight, resulted in me dropping it thankfully with minimum damage.
it is also the tallest bike I've ever owned and that takes some getting used to when you're used to being able to pull up at the lights and put your feet down.

It wasn't until we dialed in the suspension properly to my weight, and I modified how I stop the bike and did some practice, that it was alright for me.
Yes you are right in that the height is only an issue if you let it be, but at the same time it takes an adjustment period that might be quick for some and longer for others.
and if you're 5'3" you'd REALLY struggle as the weight is a lot.
and I can say if both bikes were in the dealership the day I bought mine I would have gotten the 2022 due to the lower seat height and better tyre options.
Having said that though - I am now very comfy on my 2019 FTR and will not be selling or trading it.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The seat height change is all in the wheels. I posted the pic before, if you have the sag set for a normal rider, the 22 is ONLY 1in shorter. You can make it 1.5in shorter by making the rear spring as soft as it can go.

Considering I have a 22 and a 19 with 22 suspension on it. the 22 is still around 1in lower than my 19

FTR London

Cold start is definitely an issue and I know a couple of people who returned their bikes here in Adelaide because of it, as they weren't aware of the tune to fix it.
Like I say, cold start aside - which actually doesn't concern me (although the flash should have sorted it - what is more of a worry is the engine cutting out for no apparent reason. This usually happens on the downshift, a closed throttle or a blip.

edgelett

flash also fixes that, with the countless amounts of money ive dumped into my bike, the tune was the best money spent.
Oh I agree entirely - news about getting a flash and who to get it from took a while to be broadcast down here, particularly in Adelaide. If it wasnt' for you guys I wouldn't have known.
it's just a shame some people returned their FTR because they didn't know what to do.