What I really dislike about the Indian FTR 1200...

Fuse5

Coming back to..
The bike was running ... like shit in 19! (we are test one´s).
Did anybody have to change the clutch? Got always pob´s since 19 and was renewed in `20.

Fuse5

Was changed about 1.5 K
..couldn´t set it up since - even the dealer got it- prob´s are never found (or still on its own)
Since changed ..never a prob`

Last edited:

edgelett

I guess it's another thing to add to the perceived character assassination. I once owned a Vmax and the tank was also under the seat, but a section popped up so that filling up was, shall we say, more instantaneous as opposed to the glacial slowness and agony of drip feeding and coaxing fuel down the long funnel in the absence of a breather pipe. Actually, in all honesty, I couldn't give a shit - people are in far too much of a hurry these days and it's prompted some interesting if not occasionally banal exchanges during the hour and a half at the pump. And let's face it, on this thing, fuel stops aren't exactly few and far between so you learn to live with it. While I'm on it though, what I don't need prior to starting her up afterwards is that ludicrous warning that appears on the screen when you turn the key. Every....single...time. A virtual tome appears reminding you that motorcycling is dangerous. We all fucking know that. But if you really need a warning that two wheels can be detrimental to your health, then there you have it....ad nauseum. like a stuck record.

I say "character assassination" and although as I said before, she's replete with more issues and attitude problems than a bi-polar ex, to an extent, I genuinely like elements of unpredictability. The notion that a bench flash could lobotomise and sanitise this beast may also erase some of that 'character' that I love which reminds me of some of the bikes I grew up riding. Yeah, the jerky throttle at constant rpm can get in the bin, the surging is manageable and as mentioned, lessened by disabling all the rider aids (which I don't like anyway). The fat linear torque curve more than compensates for all that. What I do need to redress is the cutting out at low revs. As absurd as 'Timps' comment about 'living above 4,500 revs' seemed, - (the issue takes place during deceleration, closed throttle and low rpm and the surging occurs on the downshift, so you have to catch it in tight corners or dense traffic) - I do nonetheless understand what he was getting at. This bike needs to be ragged and it rewards you for doing so. I love the challenge and wouldn't have it any other way. I've put 70 miles in since reinstalling last summer's Dyno flash and as basic and generic as some suggest, it's far, far better than the unspecified tune that had been added. Crisper, more responsive and so far, hasn't cut out or hinted at doing so once. The surging is still there to a lesser extent, but that just keeps you on it. Stock, this is beyond doubt, the worst fuelled bike I've ever ridden, but I have to laugh at stories of people hastily returning them to the showroom. Christ, what the actual fuck would these people have made of some of my previous bikes? So much as a cursory glance at my old 80s RG500 gamma would be PTSD inducing. Tyres, like concrete, elastic chassis, and lightswitch powerband. As well maintained as it was, I rode it with my fingers permanently on the clutch lever in the event of seizure :LOL:. The tank slappers on the Vmax? Came with the paintwork - let's not even go there.

To clarify, this thread was pretty much a way of saying I hate the gold forks and the stupid bloody TV screen, have a bit of a laugh along the way and some degree of self-deprecation in the process. Hilarious then the suggestion that it "sounds like I bought the wrong bike", given a typical thread content on here might be devoted to 'Apple Car Play' and heated grip installation :ROFLMAO:. I absolutely stand by the fact that the marketing from Indian was deceptive. That production was hurried and subsequently compromised for EU release. Having watched videos of the competition based project bike - what then trundled - sorry, lumbered out of Springfield had, shall we say, had gained more than a few pounds, burst out in a few directions and was overly made up than most anticipated, like a tart on a Tinder date who uses four-year-old photos. Shedding some pounds -six months on weight watchers is the first priority, but even so - the FTR still manages to be a plus-sized beauty.

This is the best bike I've owned since my RD350LC - or my first bike, my DT175. Every day, feels like the first one - the anticipation and the thrill of riding it. I've had it since May and the novelty is as though I've just collected it from the dealer. I love the fact that it's a challenging, temperamental, crotchety bitch...feed it what it needs, learn to tame all this with your wrist first, not a laptop or an ECU - and that's what gives it character.

To flash all of that out would be the assassination, as opposed to an OP merely lampooning the ugly stock cosmetics and her ill-mannered demeanour. I enjoy disfunctional relationships with motorcycles - if I didn't I'd buy a bloody Yamaha Tracer and start threads on owner's forums about how to hook up Apple Car Play ;)
so I showed my husband this particular post and he said 'well you've got long enough to write that while you're refueling your FTR it takes so bloody long.....' lol

FTR London

so I showed my husband this particular post and he said 'well you've got long enough to write that while you're refueling your FTR it takes so bloody long.....' lol
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thing is, I had another one of those filling station encounters as I was doing it today. A guy rode in on a Royal Enfield - only 100 of them made I think. Old boy, retired, pottered about on the thing. I would have stayed longer to chat to him but it had already killed half the morning filling the damn thing up and I was meeting some friends before kick off at three.

IMG_20211016_140619233_HDR.jpgIMG_20211016_140638341_HDR.jpg

motocroft

There must be significant changes with the fuel filler spout or breather on the MY22 series as I've not had any trouble with excessively long fill times.

Sure you can't go wide open on the pump, but I can fill in about 2 mins. Little rock every now and then. All good.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s the exact same tank. Some people just get annoyed with it more than others. Also some fuel station pumps are more finicky than others. Most of my local fuel station pumps are good so I have no Issues with my 19 or 22.

motocroft

Maybe we also have lower flow rate bowsers in AUS so not as much of an issue. Dunno......

Just got back from a ride and filled up. ~10L in about 2 mins, totally acceptable for me.

lobo

Like I say, cold start aside - which actually doesn't concern me (although the flash should have sorted it - what is more of a worry is the engine cutting out for no apparent reason. This usually happens on the downshift, a closed throttle or a blip.
Mine started cutting out at low revs when it got colder (under 10C). Can't say if it's the reason why, but I didn't have that problem before.
(Secret Sauce v5, I think).