Where did you ride your FTR today?

Unruly Rider

Just a few feet left of my picture, out of frame, were a few people with HD trics. They were not impressed with my scooter.
A large amount of the Harley crowd are haters of all other motorcycle brands... I never really understood this as HD pretty much only makes one type of bike (cruisers). I'm willing to bet that the new Bronx and Pan America models will be over-priced, under-powered, and over-weight. And by all means, I don't hate Harley, I am just disappointed in the direction the company has gone.

Unruly Rider

Put a hair over 200miles on my FTR today... road with a small group of guys out to Smokin Joe's BBQ in Rush Springs for lunch. Road a few different roads I haven't travelled before, had a good time - though I'm pretty sure my stock rear tire is about finished. This next month I'll have to pickup a new set and do the 5k service.

Unruly Rider

5k on the stock rear doesn’t sound too bad.

(ever considered a car tire?🤐 )
That sounds like it would be difficult to turn with... though I have seen it work well on 1/4 mile drag bikes.

EDIT: okay, just caught the FortNine reference... hahahah!

Last edited:

K9F

Not difficult to quantify but I had the best ride I can remember today.

For a number of years I have been plagued by a bad knee, bad weather, other riders capabilities, traffic and various other annoying factors.
Today it was a balmy 8 degrees here or 46.4 in your money, roads were dry with no salt and the Winter sun shining. My knee was replaced November and I am in a much better place with it than as long as I can remember. A mate let me down last minute so I thought 'Sod it I'll go alone!" I did 122 thoroughly enjoyable miles and FTR asides for a moment it was the best ride as far as I can remember. Perhaps selfishly all I had to think about was me, and getting the best out of it! Everything came together and without discomfort, pain, consideration for others and the fact the roads were really quiet I had an absolute blast. Utilising my own abilities, conditions and those of the FTR without divulging too much she flew as did I. Great time, I knew it was 'good' but never 'really' realised how great this bike is until today!

First stop Harley dealership for breakfast!

harley.jpg

Next quick blast up motorway to A272 road, voted one of the best biker roads in the country to cross country and head to Loomies Moto Café. Indian got obscured by some inferior bike!

loomies.jpg

Return back through Meon Valley and New Forest (very picturesque with chocolate box villages) to Mudeford Quay to photograph some lobster pots. Wait a minute no pots!

mudeford1.jpg

Pots galore!

mudeford2.jpg

Sullaha

Great time, I knew it was 'good' but never 'really' realised how great this bike is until today!
I'm stoked for you man, this is great to read. I thought waiting eight months was painful enough but really it was nothing compared to your experience.
I've found the FTR seems to get better the more you ride it. I've come from a completely different direction than you have in terms of previous rides or current garage mates, none the less I had to make adjustments to feel my best on the bike, now it fits like a glove and I can exploit the fine traits this machine has.
It'll only get better for you from now on, especially because you've got the English summer to look forward to😉

mark.lb

It was sunny and 57*F in Pittsburgh on Monday 2/3. I put 85 miles on the FTR in the rolling hills of Western Pennsylvania with my son-in-law who rides a 2019 Yamaha MT09. I also managed to get 10 mile on my 1977 Yamaha XS 750.

Sullaha

It was yesterday, when I got home there were two cold Superchargers in the fridge and it was 21 degrees and sunny so posting on the interweb was low on the list of priorities.
Went to test out and video the dB killer I made for the Bassani (waste of time that exercise was:rolleyes:) and try some things, like maximum cruise control speed and learning which wheel the speedo is driven from, fun times!
Did a lap of that lake (Wairarapa) and headed along the twisty section of tarmac out towards Cape Palliser, perfect day for riding a perfectly imperfect bike!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-143619_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-143619_Video Player.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20200209-144146_Slow motion editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-144146_Slow motion editor.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200209_113406.jpg
    20200209_113406.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200209_120100.jpg
    20200209_120100.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 25

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Apparently it reads the speed off of both wheels. Sometimes the front. Sometimes the rear.

Sullaha

Apparently it reads the speed off of both wheels. Sometimes the front. Sometimes the rear.
I did note that the speed did go up when the front finally came down. Not like an old school bike where it goes from 20 to 160 really fast 😉

mark.lb

That looks like a great place to ride...I just got home myself. We hit 72*F yesterday and 76* F in Pittsburgh today. I just rode locally but I don’t need to go far to find some great motorcycle roads in Western Pennsylvania. Tons of bikes out today. Everyone had their toys out this weekend.