Where did you ride your FTR today?

D

Deleted member 706

Yesterday I rode to Mandurah, to get an oil change kit for the FTR. Double the distance but worth it to go to a friendly dealer. I also heard that I'm not the only person who is not going to the other dealer...

edgelett

Tony and I just got back from a 3 day trip to the Limestone Coast of South Australia (in particular, Robe and surrounds)
As a pack mule, the FTR did pretty good. the luggage bag I got from Indian fits on the rack great and is easy to put on and remove, and fit nearly everything I needed for the trip. I did however need to put my hair straightener, hair dryer, spare pair of regular shoes and our toothbrush bag in Tony's panniers on the Harley. It would probably be perfect for a guy going away for a couple of days without the need for additional storage.
20211029_080016.jpg

20211029_115035.jpg

Due to the distance covered, we filled up before we left then needed 2 additional fuel stops - one in Meningie and one in Kingston SE. I found we were getting close to 180-200kms per tank on the open road, with Tony's low fuel light coming on just before mine. Got the obligatory photo with Larry the Lobster in Kingston too.

20211029_142133.jpg

Got to our hotel, and hit the local brewery for a few bevvies. Robe Town Brewery make some amazing beers, the stand outs were Solstice (a brilliant stout) and Wolverine (a barleywine)

The next day, headed off to Port Macdonnell and took a photo at South Australia's most southern point, and some great beaches along the way
20211030_105501.jpg

20211030_114128.jpg

Visited this cool and quirky classic car and memoribilia museum owned by a husband and wife that was weird and cool at the same time.
20211030_125244.jpg
DSC02061.JPG

Then headed to Mount Schank and climbed to the crater rim in full motorcycle gear, which I really don't recommend anyone else try!

DSC02078.JPG

Then it was off to Mt Gambier for the Blue Lake and Umpherston Sinkhole
20211030_150034.jpg

20211030_152951.jpg

The next day, off to Beachport for a quick ride of the scenic road before coming home. I'd attach more pics but can only attach 10 per post haha.
suffice to say - more amazing beaches.

Overall the FTR did great as a tourer. the tank was JUST enough to get between fuel stops in some of the more remote parts of the country (on one occasion we made it to Kingston and Tony had only a litre left in his tank).
Cruise control made a massive difference - Tony was struggling at the end of each day after long stretches of 110kph speed limits in straight lines for up to an hour and a half at a time, all he had is a throttle lock which didn't really work the best so was tough for him.
comfort wise, the seat was fine - I only really felt sore the last 150kms of the ride back to Adelaide on day 3.
Tony recently had the Roadster re-padded so he was about the same as me.

If you're ever in this part of the world, I strongly recommend a trip to the South East.

lobo

Stout and Barleywine! Exactly what I prefer. Good choice. :)
Nice pictures. I had a trip to Australia booked and paid for in 2000, but I got stuck in Bali. :(

Mlazarus

Edgelett, looks like a great trip. Some time back I travelled Sydney, NSW, Barrier Reef, and Queensland. Two years ago I spent a week in NWT. The entire continent is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

mark.lb

Classic Bike/Sport Bike Monday! It was 68* in Pittsburgh today. Beautiful day for riding. Had my 77’Yamaha out first and then the FTR. Pictured is the Mingo Creek Viaduct. 250 feet above is the Joe Montana Bridge on the Pennsylvania (route 43) turnpike. The Wheeling Lake Erie Railway passes below the highway.
08A942E3-0022-4D68-B9E9-37DB49B0F936.jpeg63326F92-1501-49A0-91B9-42239B03E30B.jpegF1160102-9757-4804-842F-B4BBB8B0DC2F.jpeg

kiwi dave

Wouldn't have thought you'd get that much sun, living in Old Blighty.

Is you bike kept outside continuously?

FTR London

Wouldn't have thought you'd get that much sun, living in Old Blighty.

Is you bike kept outside continuously?
The rules are changing, extremes getting more extreme - worldwide. Spells nudging 30ºC are not uncommon now each summer.

It spends a lot of time outside because it's ridden a lot, but is garaged at home at night. I'll keep it on the road this winter, but when the icy conditions arrive and the roads are gritted and salted it's staying in there. At this latitude the days are short and the nights are long. The summer months are already a dim and distant memory.

S2Davies

A sad ride today, recently a young fella got killed nearby, his mother asked for any local cars and bikes to accompany them to the funeral at least 20 bikes showed up. I hope it gave the family some comfort.
Terribly sad, but at least you got the opportunity to give him a send off, and as you say, hopefully it helped the family in some small way at such a sad time.

Breto

A sad ride today, recently a young fella got killed nearby, his mother asked for any local cars and bikes to accompany them to the funeral at least 20 bikes showed up. I hope it gave the family some comfort.
Sorry to hear that mate…but a rolling send off Is a moving honour guard…couldn’t think of a better send off…always in your heart, memories of how it was…I sincerely hope his family was happy with the support and love shown…my best to all mate…😔

edgelett

Got out for a ride after lunch yesterday, was an absolutely cracker day so headed through some of my favourite Adelaide Hills roads. My fave bit was when I was coming out of a 100 zone and sitting in an 80 zone with a 50 zone approaching (kph of course) and a motorcycle cop came towards me. now I was slowing down but still doing over 80....and he just nodded and carried on his way. Was clearly just enjoying the day himself!