Which FTR Model

Silly-Billy

Hey there, I am booked for a test ride of an FTR, but struggling to work my way through the models. My wife has a Speed Twin and I have an XJR1300 and we also have ADV bikes. But I need that more twin awesomeness in my life. I need a bike for commuting as the Triumph has become my go to bike for any kind of traffic – so nimble, lower down power, comfy – but it’s not mine. I used to have VTR1000F and I love that engine, but the rest of the bike is a little blah.

I was considering the XSR900 and I think it would be a great bike, but I want the twin, the vibes and the noise. I am still hoping to ride them back to back to prove it.

I want black and don’t think I would consider any other colour. I want the 17in wheels and as much nice stuff as possible, i'd prefer top fo the line model. I am 6’1”. I have heard a few comments on nicer mapping/fueling on some models. Which is the right model?

DJ121

Hey there, I am booked for a test ride of an FTR, but struggling to work my way through the models. My wife has a Speed Twin and I have an XJR1300 and we also have ADV bikes. But I need that more twin awesomeness in my life. I need a bike for commuting as the Triumph has become my go to bike for any kind of traffic – so nimble, lower down power, comfy – but it’s not mine. I used to have VTR1000F and I love that engine, but the rest of the bike is a little blah.

I was considering the XSR900 and I think it would be a great bike, but I want the twin, the vibes and the noise. I am still hoping to ride them back to back to prove it.

I want black and don’t think I would consider any other colour. I want the 17in wheels and as much nice stuff as possible, i'd prefer top fo the line model. I am 6’1”. I have heard a few comments on nicer mapping/fueling on some models. Which is the right model?
Since they don't have a straight black this year, perhaps the quasi-black FTR Sport, or FTR Carbon R and then change the tank covers?

edgelett

there's no difference in 'fueling' between models really.
a stock 2019 has terrible fueling but is easily fixed with a tune.
the 2022 is greatly improved. both the S and Carbon have all the ride modes. the base model only has standard ride mode and you can't change unless you buy an aftermarket switch.
2023s aren't out yet so we don't really know if there's been any change foe them give they have a whole new ECU.

no matter the year you get, a tune will always make it run better. just depends on if you want ride modes or not as to whether to get an S, Carbon, Race Replica or Base model.

Silly-Billy

Thanks everyone. Sounds like find a black one with 17s and i should be fine. where are you getting the tune in melb and how much? anyone ridden the xsr900 and the ftr?

Looking at the indian site, the new colours look they are aimed at people who attend raves...eg not me.

edglett did you do a street fighter build about 15years ago? I vaguely recall your name and a honda 900 - dbw or netrider maybe. Maybe a group ride in vic somewhere - maybe not too.

edgelett

edglett did you do a street fighter build about 15years ago? I vaguely recall your name and a honda 900 - dbw or netrider maybe. Maybe a group ride in vic somewhere - maybe not too.
haha yes that's me - it was my Honda Hornet 600 which I still have by the way!
and believe it or not I still pop on to Netrider from time to time.
Currently doing a 17 inch front wheel conversion on the Hornet.

As for getting a tune in Melbourne - I strongly recommend you get in touch with Ironheart Garage in NSW. They are a Lloydz remote tuner and can absolutely help you out with that. It involves sending them your ECU but that's what I did and it was a piece of cake.