Why did you buy this bike?

FTR London

Hi all, please don't flame me for this, and I understand that I may be labouring the point now - but why did some of you choose this motorcycle? I'm utterly bemused. I genuinely don't understand.

We have threads on windshields, luggage, fenders, comfortable seats, phone holders and USB connections, raised handlebars, back pain, posture, ergonomics, practical tyres...and yes apple car play, but very little about flat track racing. It's an Indian FTR 1200 - supposedly a road going flat track racer. The clue lies in the 'FTR' moniker. I'm increasingly perplexed by some of the threads on this forum. Why did many of you people purchase this motorcycle? Last year, I started a thread about the things I don't like about the FTR -yeah,, I hate the stupid TV screen, the gold forks and the ridiculous grandad handlebars - but largely the fact that it didn't even vaguely resemble the deceptive factory pre-launch hype and what lumbered out of Spirit Lake was an utter monstrosity. I was amazed to be greeted by responses like "a single rotor wouldn't have sold" (yeah, thanks for that) or "sounds as though you bought the wrong bike" - coming from someone that was discussing backrests. :LOL: I can reference the post if you wish.

I've spent in the region of three grand, removing, revising and stripping the abortion that was the 2019 FTR...solely because I love motorcycle racing, and I have always held that the best and most entertaining GP racers came from the grit. I wanted a FLAT TRACK RACER - (excuse the caps), is that unreasonable? I think it's about there, but I've only just begun. No one one this forum has actually questioned why Indian sells a 'tracker conversion/accessory kit' on what is supposed to be a flat track motorcycle! 😆🤣

The beauty of this bike is that it's timeless, ageless and enduring. Couldn't give two shits about the '22..a '24...a 26 a '28 or a '30. I bought the original and it had a 19" on the front...so bollocks!

I want a spartan, pristine raw unforgiving motorbike because,correct me if I'm wrong - top box aside, that's what an FTR should be. In all honesty, no disrespect to anyone that disagrees, but if you want to tour, you want comfort, you want luggage, you want range, you want entertainment, you want practicality? fair play...then as emasculated and compromised as Indian's final offer was, why the fuck did you choose this motorcycle??? This forum increasingly reads like a Honda Goldwing site, yet the owner is clearly a very knowledgeable but affable laddo/petrolhead completely into the hooligan pedigree of this beast.

Again, please, no indignant replies. I understand, this bike is "whatever you want it to be", you've explained that to me.- providing you ignore the 'FTR' bit. I am actually at the point of questioning whether some folk that buy this actually understand what that means? The most savage and uncompromising motorcycle I have ever owned was the RG500 Gamma. A 2T racer for the street. Imagine if the internet existed in the 80s and forum members were discussing fuel consumption, comfort, saddlebags, seats, backrests and practical screens?

Please - no negative comments. The advice and technical support on Mike's forum is a Godsend and I'm honestly a massive beneficiary of that and the first to concede when I'm wrong. Am I mistaken here? Please don't begrudge me posting this because I'm genuinely bewildered by some of the threads I'm reading. The question has to be asked - and surely, that's what a forum is all about - debate. Motorcycles are irrational, irresponsible, dysfunctional, uncomfortable, uncompromising, antisocial...so why the fuck did some of you buy this bike? (No offence - and if any is taken, I'll gladly leave this forum - which will probably be a relief to many)

This...

BFU5KYY35WIEAOMQ52DGXSKERI.jpg

This...

FTR Box.jpgDSCF0007.jpg

🤨

God bless @Charliemurphay for choosing form over function. Good lad.

Fuse5

No blame or flame.
At the time i saw Indian took it to a real opportuntinity (2016-17?) i thought that would be mine.
Unfornutatly - it doesn´t came up like that which was the fav for the most enthusiasts.

Race Version
bfu5kyy35wieaomq52dgxskeri-jpg.6298

Even the first promoted street version of the ftr looks simular to the race one with street legal aspects.

It ends up with the "bullocks " :D 19 inch of` 19.
Spend a "bit" as well to get it runnin and modifications - like everybody for personal or in case - race feelings.

3 weeks later after my purchase in 19 - as far as i remember correctly and i´am right -
Indian Factory sold 20 to 50? - 750 Race "FTR´s/Scouts" which was only available at the US (at 50 k$?)

Would be happy to own one of..

Last edited:

FTR London

No blame or flame.
At the time i saw Indian took it to a real opportuntinity (2016-17?) i thought that would be mine.
Unfornutatly - it doesn´t came up like that which was the fav for the most enthusiasts.
bfu5kyy35wieaomq52dgxskeri-jpg.6298

It ends up with the "bullocks " :D 19 inch of` 19.
Spend a "bit" as well to get it runnin and modifications - like everybody for personal or in case - race feelings.

3 weeks later after my purchase in 19 - as far as i remember correctly and i´am right -
Indian Factory sold 20 to 50? - 750 Race "FTR´s/Scouts" which was only available at the US (at 50 k$?)

Would be happy to own one of..
Thank you for your constructive reply Fuse. Appreciated.

American

Too young for a cruiser.
Too old for a sport bike.

Wanted a twin that was preferably made in the USA.

My FTR has no luggage or anything if that sort. The phone mount doesn’t get used because I don’t want to be on my phone while I’m riding.
I live in the city and 0-100 this bike is great fun. I’m seldom more than 5-10 miles from a gas station.

Personally I think Indian did a great job with this bike. I would have liked it to have more power but I don’t really need to go that fast but it’s kind of nice to have the extra power.

FTR London

Too young for a cruiser.
Too old for a sport bike.

Wanted a twin that was preferably made in the USA.

My FTR has no luggage or anything if that sort. The phone mount doesn’t get used because I don’t want to be on my phone while I’m riding.
I live in the city and 0-100 this bike is great fun. I’m seldom more than 5-10 miles from a gas station.

Personally I think Indian did a great job with this bike. I would have liked it to have more power but I don’t really need to go that fast but it’s kind of nice to have the extra power.
Agree - phone mounts have no place on a bike.

There's some **** on You Tube called 'Dan Dan The Fireman' (really?) that forensically deconstructs motorcycle accidents, yet he plugs mobile phone holders for money. Figure?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 706

I fell in love with the images of the FTR 750 and early proposed FTR's. I put a grand deposit on one over the phone when it was first announced as becoming available. I was going to buy an S or RR.
I didn't fall in love with the factory and all its hype and stalling. I sat on the preproduction prototype but never heard it running on the factory instructions. I got tired of waiting for the bikes to be available and bought a second hand Rocket 3, loved it for 18 months. Then a base model demo bike came up for sale, I bought it.
I'm not in love with the FTR's but I really really like mine now that it's out of warranty and sorted.
I'll keep it as long as I can throw my short, geriatric leg over it.
I'm a little older, wiser and jaded by the factory and the local dealership arrangements.
Indian Mandurah are great but at the other end of the city 100 K's from me. I'd prefer to go there than the local shop 25 K's from home. Hell I was even ordering stuff from the other side of Australia at one stage.
So I bought an FTR despite a lot of shit...

Attachments

• IMG_20220215_164012.jpg
    IMG_20220215_164012.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 22

FTR London

I fell in love with the images of the FTR 750 and early proposed FTR's. I put a grand deposit on one over the phone when it was first announced as becoming available. I was going to buy an S or RR.
I didn't fall in love with the factory and all its hype and stalling. I sat on the preproduction prototype but never heard it running on the factory instructions. I got tired of waiting for the bikes to be available and bought a second hand Rocket 3, loved it for 18 months. Then a base model demo bike came up for sale, I bought it.
I'm not in love with the FTR's but I really really like mine now that it's out of warranty and sorted.
I'll keep it as long as I can throw my short, geriatric leg over it.
I'm a little older, wiser and jaded by the factory and the local dealership arrangements.
Indian Mandurah are great but at the other end of the city 100 K's from me. I'd prefer to go there than the local shop 25 K's from home. Hell I was even ordering stuff from the other side of Australia at one stage.
So I bought an FTR despite a lot of shit...
And a Bassani exhaust to boot.

Neighbours still exchanging pleasantries?

Walrus

I've owned 32 motorcycles in the last 11 years and have 10 in the garage and three with the company that maintains and hauls my race bikes to the track.
I bought the FTR as a toy. It's delightful.
Having fun customizing it and riding it. Own nothing like it.
Kick ass motor. Decent suspension. Ok brakes. Quick handling for the hill/mountains here in Oklahoma.
Looks great - and I've never owned an Indian before. The company's cruisers/tourers don't work for me.
Despite my few gripes is a good all-round machine. Don't even mind the relatively low fuel-range.
It's cheap, too. At least in basic form.
Does it tour like my CVO Sport Glide? Nope. But that's why I have the SG.
Is it as fast as my Hayabusa? Nope. But not as fat, either.
Nimble and quick as my R6? Nope. But way more comfy.
Point is there's no Universal do-it-all bike and I'm old enough to remember and have owned the original UJMs.
FTR fills a hole in my fleet and my motorcycling experience.
Isn't that what it's all about?
One last point: The 2022 FTR I own ISN'T a racer it's a STREET BIKE (not yelling btw) and marketed that way. Just like my GSXR 750. It does what it's supposed to do- on the road.
Yes you can modify race replicas into a true racer: $3,000 proper Ohlins suspension, proper exhaust/tuning, belly pan, no battery, no lights, new seat, new pegs, new plastics etc. Hell you just built one - so you know the FTR is street first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 706

@FTR London
I have recently reentered the work force as a casual worker for a retirement career, this involves shift work. When I have to start early I start it up ride away ASAP, I hate doing that but I warm it up on the road. As soon as I'm out of my immediate area it stays in 2nd or 3rd for a few K's 😜

JDP

man someone is mad at things people are doing to there own bike can’t understand that, it’s your bike do what you want and enjoy it , WOW I like looking at different things are are being done to this great machine who’s bike is it ?

rawsoncj

Here’s why I bought mine.

After 6 years riding a 2014 BMW S1000R, I was starting to wonder if there would ever be any other bike that could compete with the way that bike made me feel when I rode it. Up until that point, the answer was a definite no. It was beginning to look like the only thing that could replace my ageing but still fully performant BMW would be another S1000R.

Thing is, I didn’t want to fork out another $25k to just replace the bike I already had with essentially the same bike.

When the S1000RR sport bike was unveiled, it was a *massive* step up from the existing S1000RR in every way. I held my breath for over a year to see how many, if any, of those improvements would make their way to the S1000RR’s naked cousin.

BMW unveiled its new S1000R in early 2021… and I found it incredibly lacklustre. It got the TFT dash, and some minor tweaks here and there, but it had essentially the same 165 HP engine that my nearly 7 year old bike already had. On top of that, BMW decided to charge $30k for the base model, and $35k for the M package that I wanted. So the new bike was essentially the same bike I already had in every way that counted, but $10k more expensive and with 30–40 HP less than similar bikes in its category. For nearly the same price, I could have bought a Ducati Streetfighter and had a bike with far higher performance and better fit and finish than the new S1000R.

A couple months later, my girlfriend got a new Indian Scout. Seeing how much fun she was having on that bike — which had been her dream bike for a while — made me catch a strong case of Newbikeitis. I started looking around to see what might be suitable, because the new S1000R didn’t fit the bill.

I’d been looking at the BMW R9T for a while, mostly because I really liked the classic look of it and it seemed like a more laid-back, “cruisey” alternative to the out-and-out hooliganism of the S1000R. I had also looked at the 2019 FTR 1200 before and really liked the overall look of it, but it was a couple inches too tall, had wheels/tyres I knew I wouldn’t get on with, and reportedly had an epidemic of starting/fuelling issues.

I took an R9T out for a test ride. It was all right. It didn’t really grab me though, and for $20k or more, I wanted a bike to do more than just adequately wheel me around.

Indian unveiled the 2022 FTR. Lo and behold, they addressed every last one of the things that had stopped me from considering adding it to my garage. And the new Carbon model looked incredible. It shot to the top of my list.

I took a 2019 FTR out for a test ride and instantly fell in love with it. I had worried that the 40 HP cut in power compared to the S1000R might make the FTR feel underpowered or boring, but it felt absolutely fine. It was indeed too tall and had skittish tyres, but other than that it was an awesome ride. Knowing that the 2022 model would be even better made it an easy choice to buy one.

I have a 2022 FTR R Carbon sitting in my garage now. I’ve put about 3 or 4 grand worth of mods on the bike, with about $2k of that being additional carbon fibre parts beyond what it came with, and the rest being stuff like a radiator guard, crash bobbins, and new levers.

I kept the S1000R as an occasional hooning bike, but I ended up wrecking it six months ago when it went over an oil slick and sent us both for an 80-metre slide down the road. I came out of it with nothing worse than a bruised arse and a mild concussion; the S1000R wasn’t so lucky. So the FTR has been my sole bike ever since.

And… I don’t mind. At all. In terms of the way it looks, the way it handles, and the way it performs, the FTR is pretty much my ideal bike. For close to 7 years, every bike I rode besides my S1000R simply didn’t measure up at all — everything that wasn’t that bike, *wasn’t that bike*. And that stayed true until I rode and bought an FTR.

FTR London

that's because he's a fireman. and his name is Dan.
I thought his name was 'Dan Dan'?

as to why I bought the FTR - Honestly I don't feel I should say a word because you've made it pretty clear that you think anyone who bought it for anything other than flat track racing is a twit.
Not so. I'm not sure that many (if any?) bought this to actually go flat track racing, least of all me. People are at liberty to do what they want with it and they certainly don't have to justify it to me or anyone else - I'm simply curious.

man someone is mad at things people are doing to there own bike can’t understand that, it’s your bike do what you want and enjoy it , WOW I like looking at different things are are being done to this great machine who’s bike is it ?

I'm not 'mad' at anything, anything or anyone. I simply asked why this choice of bike, because in some cases I really don't get it. that's all, and received some interesting responses as a result which I'm grateful for. Like I said, no need for anyone to get irritable about it friend, it's a forum. You can dispense with the bold font now. ;)

Gotta go, I'm off to fit some hand muffs and highway pegs to the R1.

D

Deleted member 706

@FTR London
If I was at home and on the laptop I'd find the piccie of Kwaka sports bike near Deals Gap, those who've seen it can't unsee it, the extended forks really poke you in the eye 👁️😭😂😢😱😳🙁

mark.lb

Hi all, please don't flame me for this, and I understand that I may be labouring the point now - but why did some of you choose this motorcycle? I'm utterly bemused. I genuinely don't understand.

We have threads on windshields, luggage, fenders, comfortable seats, phone holders and USB connections, raised handlebars, back pain, posture, ergonomics, practical tyres...and yes apple car play, but very little about flat track racing. It's an Indian FTR 1200 - supposedly a road going flat track racer. The clue lies in the 'FTR' moniker. I'm increasingly perplexed by some of the threads on this forum. Why did many of you people purchase this motorcycle? Last year, I started a thread about the things I don't like about the FTR -yeah,, I hate the stupid TV screen, the gold forks and the ridiculous grandad handlebars - but largely the fact that it didn't even vaguely resemble the deceptive factory pre-launch hype and what lumbered out of Spirit Lake was an utter monstrosity. I was amazed to be greeted by responses like "a single rotor wouldn't have sold" (yeah, thanks for that) or "sounds as though you bought the wrong bike" - coming from someone that was discussing backrests. :LOL: I can reference the post if you wish.

I've spent in the region of three grand, removing, revising and stripping the abortion that was the 2019 FTR...solely because I love motorcycle racing, and I have always held that the best and most entertaining GP racers came from the grit. I wanted a FLAT TRACK RACER - (excuse the caps), is that unreasonable? I think it's about there, but I've only just begun. No one one this forum has actually questioned why Indian sells a 'tracker conversion/accessory kit' on what is supposed to be a flat track motorcycle! 😆🤣

The beauty of this bike is that it's timeless, ageless and enduring. Couldn't give two shits about the '22..a '24...a 26 a '28 or a '30. I bought the original and it had a 19" on the front...so bollocks!

I want a spartan, pristine raw unforgiving motorbike because,correct me if I'm wrong - top box aside, that's what an FTR should be. In all honesty, no disrespect to anyone that disagrees, but if you want to tour, you want comfort, you want luggage, you want range, you want entertainment, you want practicality? fair play...then as emasculated and compromised as Indian's final offer was, why the fuck did you choose this motorcycle??? This forum increasingly reads like a Honda Goldwing site, yet the owner is clearly a very knowledgeable but affable laddo/petrolhead completely into the hooligan pedigree of this beast.

Again, please, no indignant replies. I understand, this bike is "whatever you want it to be", you've explained that to me.- providing you ignore the 'FTR' bit. I am actually at the point of questioning whether some folk that buy this actually understand what that means? The most savage and uncompromising motorcycle I have ever owned was the RG500 Gamma. A 2T racer for the street. Imagine if the internet existed in the 80s and forum members were discussing fuel consumption, comfort, saddlebags, seats, backrests and practical screens?

Please - no negative comments. The advice and technical support on Mike's forum is a Godsend and I'm honestly a massive beneficiary of that and the first to concede when I'm wrong. Am I mistaken here? Please don't begrudge me posting this because I'm genuinely bewildered by some of the threads I'm reading. The question has to be asked - and surely, that's what a forum is all about - debate. Motorcycles are irrational, irresponsible, dysfunctional, uncomfortable, uncompromising, antisocial...so why the fuck did some of you buy this bike? (No offence - and if any is taken, I'll gladly leave this forum - which will probably be a relief to many)

This...

View attachment 6298

This...

View attachment 6299View attachment 6300

🤨

God bless @Charliemurphay for choosing form over function. Good lad.

3B471097-B05C-4B1D-95AB-A6BB8580CA9B.jpeg7ADAF0A7-D292-428B-B418-EC1D7B9BBAF9.jpeg5D5F9441-5FF6-45AA-B8FA-DFFF07613131.jpeg9BE2FC03-D788-405B-AE55-26F696006236.jpegMaybe this will make you feel better! (Please stop complaining.)

Notaharley

I bought the FTR because it was time. It is a replacement for my beloved Ducati S2r.
Naked. No extra crap.

I'm not a racer. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast and ride every doggone day that God gives me. I don't really care what some marketing genius named it --- and apparently they were mistaken because it's got 17's now.

It's a fun bike. I'll enjoy it for a season or two, and then find another one to tickle my fancy, like the R nine T

Charliemurphay

I’m surprised you tagged me specifically, I’m assuming because I LOVE the 2-2 exhaust even though it’s not peak power and the heat can be bothersome, and that exhaust is quintessential FTR style, which you clearly have an obsession for 😂.

As to why I bought the FTR specifically…
This is my 3rd bike overall and my first brand new one. My first bike was an ‘88 Kawi EX500, a horribly butchered bike that somebody had tried to stunt and removed the original fairings and made it into a naked bike. I rode that bike for 6 years and loved it.

My 2nd bike was a ‘82 KZ750 LTD that was given to me in non-running state by my neighbor for free. It was a large comfortable UJM cruiser and I liked it too, especially because it was free! Rode that one for 4 years.

I started the search for a brand new bike because I wanted something that was mine from the beginning and didn’t need to have massive amounts of surgical procedures to get running again. Been down that trail. Googling naked motorcycles one day because that’s the style I love and the FTR showed up. Immediate reaction “what. is. THAT. It’s…..beautiful.” Immediately fell in love with the look of the thing.
Long story short I spent a little over a year researching other motorcycles that piqued my interest. My final 3 list I narrowed it down to after a year was, FTR, Super Duke 1290, MT10. I adore the sound of the MT10’s engine but I decided it looks too much like a transformer. The KTM I decided was a tad too sport bike for me looks-wise. No matter other bikes I looked at or pros and cons lists I made, the FTR stayed consistently at the top of my list.

So finally one day, my best friend and I walked into the local dealer, and I plunked down on a 2019 S-model that had been discounted for sitting there a little over a year.

Now. Do I plan on flat tracking it? Hell no I’d kill myself and wreck my bike. I don’t even plan on taking it down dirt roads, because I love it too much. I’ve done one track day so far and that was a blast. I’ll likely do some more.

Don’t hang me, but I do have luggage for it. I do want to do touring on it. But otherwise the luggage lives in the closet because it ruins the look of the bike for sure. I ride to work when I can, and I ride anytime I can outside of work. Had it for 2 years and a little over 14k miles on the clock as of now.

All of that to say, do I agree with some of the aesthetics of other owners? No way, (anyone remember the horror of the bread loaf seat???) But y’all do what you want, and I’ll keep doing what I want and all motorcycles are great, the FTR is clearly the best, everyone else is jealous of us FTR owners, whether they’ll admit it or not 😂😂😂

PS…..I genuinely think that the persons who designed that screen for the S and DIDNT put a moving map in it especially when it already has a freaking GPS sensor FOR SETTING THE CLOCK, is a dingus.

Last edited:

Walrus

@FTR London:
I have reflected on your question again - and it is akin to St. Anselm's Theorem which for centuries stood as "logical" and deductive incontrovertible proof there is a god. Until disproven by Immanuel Kant, who basically demonstrated the first premise on which the entire argument was based is a false, flawed assumption. (Look it up if you have interest in philosphy and logic).
Anyway, your basic premise the FTR is a track bike is flawed like St. Anselm's Theorum. It is a street bike. Track bikes don't have turn signals, license plate brackets, headlights and are not registered for road use. The end.

Furthermore, your question is the motorcycle equivalent of these assertions/questions:

1. Why do men hang out with women or have sex if they NEVER want children and discuss and enjoy the female anatomy?
2. Pitbulls were originally conceived to fight other dogs - why have one if you don't intend to become a dog fighter?
3. Why have any female dog or cat as a companion if you don't intend to have puppies or kittens?
4. Why keep an AK-47, designed for killing people and warfare, if you are not in the military and not subject to bloodlust?
Etc.