Windshield options?

Here ya go.
First off; thank you brother, I appreciate you posting that so quick. Okay yes; that's exactly what I was hoping it would look like bro. What model do you have exactly? I've just picked up 3 weeks ago now a 2019 Base in all Black, but it's literally been sitting since the first orders I think. Sounded like they had 7 guys put in pre-orders for the bikes initially but Indian took so long getting them out that all 7 had ended up buying different bikes by the time they were ready to deliver. So I got a bike that's probably from the INTIAL run of bikes at the very start of the FTR's life.

But that doens't really bother me; only real problem is I'm in Dallas, TX area and I got my PV3 Tuner w/ Tune put on literally Saturday night around 1 AM by the time I finished and got only to put about 30 minutes on it in the VERY cold before covering her up for this hellish snow-storm we've had. And since then, it hasn't gotten above freezing so no use in even trying to start it; not like i could drive anywhere right now anyway.

Here's a picture I literally took 30 minutes ago when I went to check on it; I hadn't been home in the last 3 days because we straight up haven't had power or water; but my parents place has, so I've been staying there. Well things are slowly coming back to normal; and by tomorrow for sure we''ll have clear roads for the most part so I decided to come back today and I went out thinking maybe I should start it up, let it run, and after 1 attempted crank it was having such a hard time in the cold I decided I'll put it off till it gets above freezing tomorrow.

Attachments

• Winter Cover.jpg
    Winter Cover.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
if you're going to start it, you need to let it idle for around 10 min to recharge the battery and get the fluids to temp to prevent moisture buildup inside the engine
Thanks Ferraialo, I was actually going to ask one of you guys, specifically a veteran owner about how I should go about getting her back after hibernation... thanks for bringing that up. I'm worried the cold has killed the battery to the point it'll need a jump, but I'm thinking once it warms back up, I may can start her without it.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
easy to remove the battery, there is a tool beside the oil filter, and take it inside and throw in a tender

easy to remove the battery, there is a tool beside the oil filter, and take it inside and throw in a tender
Roger that; yeah the very first day I got it; I think it'd just been sitting for so long, they started it for me when I left the dealer and when I got back home I went back out about 30 min later to take it out a bit and sure enough; dead as a doornail... so the very first day I realized how easy it is to get to; they showed me, I live so close to the dealer they literally sent a guy out when I called and asked if they just thought I should tender it or what, I didn't own a tender at the time, I've since bought one of t hose little packs that'll give you a quick start.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
if its died that many times, its time to get a warranty replacement. I can start mine in 20* weather after its sat for a month with no tender installed. I too have one of the first ftrs made, but i also bought it right out of the crate.

if its died that many times, its time to get a warranty replacement. I can start mine in 20* weather after its sat for a month with no tender installed. I too have one of the first ftrs made, but i also bought it right out of the crate.
It hasn't died more than the day I bought it though mate; just when I first got it home I bought the tender/starter just to be safe. And I figured that's because it had only probably been running for a few minutes before I drove it home and killed it. Once they started it up; he asked me to give it a bit to charge and see if it would stay charged and let them know; if not they' replace it. Well I've put about 500 miles on it since and had no issues; but I am worried that as soon as I'm through with this North TX cold snap we'll have to recharge it. I'm going to wait until tomorrow when the temp is above freezing to start it though; right now there's really no point. I don't want to try and start it until I can actually ride it.

But hearing that you can start it in 20 degree weather without a tender makes me think it needs a new battery. Because it's been sitting about 4 days now, and I coud barely get it to try to crank that first time. But I didn't try a second; we'll see when it warms up tomorrow. I may try and get them to then; they're close right now along with most of North TX.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
yeah the fact that its only sat a couple days in that TX snow storm and wont start means its bad. regardless of the tune, it should at least start, if it dies shorty after starting then its a tune issue.

yeah the fact that its only sat a couple days in that TX snow storm and wont start means its bad. regardless of the tune, it should at least start, if it dies shorty after starting then its a tune issue.
Yeah I'm with you; so I couldn't help myself, went ahead and went out and took it out from under the cover and tried to start it; started up first try; I let it run and get up to temp, run a few more minutes; she's good to go. Man I wish I could ride. If it was just slush? I would but it's just still too icy. Maybe tomorrow around this time, but definitely by Saturday.

Thanks for the advice brother.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
welcome to the hell that is the north lol. I was in grand prairie for work a little while ago, and everyone was wearing winter coats in 45* weather, and im there with a tshirt lol

welcome to the hell that is the north lol. I was in grand prairie for work a little while ago, and everyone was wearing winter coats in 45* weather, and im there with a tshirt lol
lol where are you at now? I've seen a couple of your videos on Yotube and it seemed like a rainier climate at times but I wasn't quite sure. Good videos though man, you've really been a good source of information for the FTR 1200's that's for sure, throughout the internet I mean, not just on the forums.

But I've been in North TX my entire life, kind of near the Frisco/McKinney area and being 29 years old, it's NEVER been this bad that I can remember back last 10 or so years; in 2014 we had a COUPLE days like this but nothing where it was THIS bad.

mark.lb

We got another fresh inch last night in Pittsburgh and no end in sight. I may never ride again.....

We got another fresh inch last night in Pittsburgh and no end in sight. I may never ride again.....
I'm curious up there in your area; how many months a year can you ride? And i don't mean those psycho's you see willing to ride year round lol; that's a different breed of rider. I'm talking about regular folks, who like me for example; I don't mind rain; don't mind a LITTLE snow, but if there is even a chance of ice no way I'll risk dropping the bike, my biggest fear is the front end slipping out from under me. Happened on my very first bike, a 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400 but that was my own fault; I grabbed the front brakes in the rain as hard as I could; caused it to myself.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Ill ride 12 months a year as long as it rains and washes some salt off the road. But the last time i was able to ride was new years eve.

Ill ride 12 months a year as long as it rains and washes some salt off the road. But the last time i was able to ride was new years eve.
Ohh so you ARE one of the different breeds I see on the road in winter gear; despite it being hella cold; half rainy and even slow for cars. In a lot of ways I'm jealous of being on that level; you don't do this with the FTR do you? Is that the only bike you own?

I see folks in their BMW 1250GS ADV bikes and man that's what makes me jealous. I've always been a big KTM guy; owned an RC for a couple years and recently got rid of it to make room for the FTR but I do miss it. That bike was a cheaply made to a budget price vehicle from INDIA and it did awesome. India has really gotten amazing at pumping out budget motorcycles; I've seen reviews for the Himalayan's, the new Royal Enfeilds like the Interceptor 650, and I know I"m missing a couple other major bikes they build there and export now a days but I'm fairly confident India is only going to get bigger when it comes to making good, cheap motorycles.

Hey Ferraiolo1, I did mean to ask you yesterday; I saw this burnout video of you lol on Youtube it had this amazing exhaust. Despite doing what i could to find what model/brand it was, I've failed. I've attached a pic of it; could you give me some insight on it? It's the PERFECT length I've wanted. Almost all the FTR exhausts I'm seeing online are just too high in my opinion, they end up running up to stock height. I love the look of that sleek, low Exhaust with a short can. Plus from the Youtube audio at least; it seems to sound amazing. But I'd rather here from the actual owner: you.

Attachments

• ferraiolo1_exhaust_2-in1-shortandlow.jpg
    ferraiolo1_exhaust_2-in1-shortandlow.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 37

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
30* isn’t too bad with a set of leathers and under armor. And That’s the Toce lowmount full exhaust

mark.lb

I generally only ride behind a windshield when it it 45*F and above. For my naked bikes it has to be over 50*F.
(I am 62 years old with significant heart disease.) I only ride for recreation and enjoyment. I am retired and do not commute.

Riding season generally ends sometime in mid to late November and begins again in April.

Ferraiolo1 nailed it. We use a lot of rock salt on our roads in the winter. It is extremely corrosive. Even salt dust on the road is dangerous and corrosive.

30* isn’t too bad with a set of leathers and under armor. And That’s the Toce lowmount full exhaust
Ahh dang; I can't believe I didn't recognize it... I've got quite a few TOCE parts bookmarked. Okay thanks man.

Yeah 30 degrees is about as cold as I've ridden in to be honest. Around here during the Winter Months it's not too crazy to see sunny or overcast 40-50 degree days. If it's 40 degrees through about 45, that's what I consider REALLY cold and I usually dress completely different depending on how far I'm going. If I"m going any further than the 1.5-2 miles it takes to get to Walmart from my Apartment I'll wear a nice long sleeve shirt, my armoured summer jacket that basically is worse than wearing a t-shirt in cold weather because it breathes so well from Street & Steel, then top ALL that off with my North Face puffer jacket which is really what makes those drives do-able at all. Something about how North Face does their more heavy duty "skiing" style jackets, it's entirely wind blocking, damn near 100% water proof as long as it isn't pouring so if I wear a good bottom-half Balaclava in combination with those T-shirts/Jackets? Hell I can ride as low as 34 degrees (My current record on the FTR) and be just fine at 60-70 MPH. Now my hands? That was an entirely different story.

You're probably the best person to ask but; how's the Heated Grip world for the FTR's? I'm curious if there are better aftermarket selections than I assumed; considering how hard I've noticed it is to find the same parts as it was for my KTM for example? It just seems like the FTR 1200, seeing as it's fairly new, and wasn't near as high volume as something like the Scout, just doesn't have as many random parts on the market by these hundreds of vendors that do something like a Harley, a major KTM like the RC series, or hell, I'm seeing tons of parts for the Scout so maybe I should start looking at just adapting some scout parts.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Indian is releasing FTR headed grips in the spring, otherwise any heated grip will work. Like oxfords and what not