Wunderkind Custom bits and pieces

kiwi dave

The chain looks rather exposed. Are you not worried you will wear any excess chain oil on your clothing?

Even with the stock guard, I find oil flung off the chain on various parts of the bike (but luckily not me!).

edgelett

The chain looks rather exposed. Are you not worried you will wear any excess chain oil on your clothing?

Even with the stock guard, I find oil flung off the chain on various parts of the bike (but luckily not me!).
well I wear boots and draggins so them getting oily/dirty doesn't bother me.
and I can't say I've had much oil flick up in the past - i might change what I'm using to oil it with though to minimise flick.

motocroft

Very tidy.
What else did you order? I've been eyeing off the Wunderkind mirrors.
Who did you purchase through?

edgelett

I also got rearsets and footpegs.

So my ordering was a bit FUBAR to be honest. Wunderkind don't ship to Australia. I was advised by another Aussie that the best way to get their stuff was to order through this UK website so I did. The package then went on a round trip via Germany, UK, US, then here where I had to then pay over $200 import duty.
2 months after ordering, everything arrived.

I found out after ordering that there is an Aussie distributer who can get stuff within a week!!! :(
The Aussie distributer is KPR Industries in Brisbane: KPR Industries - Custom Motorcycle Consultants (kpr-ind.com.au)

Order from them, don't do what I did lol.

I'll be getting the mirrors next year.

mark.lb

I have made no modifications to my FTR on purpose. But - I like seeing what everyone else is doing. I’m especially interested in mods that “remove” weight from a sport bike that starts out a little over 500lbs. A lot of owners just keep adding stuff and adding additional weight. Several owners on the forum look like they have shaved 25-30lbs off their FTRs. edgelett and Ferraiolo1 must have bikes well below 500lbs. Has anyone ever done a before and after weigh in?

edgelett

I have made no modifications to my FTR on purpose. But - I like seeing what everyone else is doing. I’m especially interested in mods that “remove” weight from a sport bike that starts out a little over 500lbs. A lot of owners just keep adding stuff and adding additional weight. Several owners on the forum look like they have shaved 25-30lbs off their FTRs. edgelett and Ferraiolo1 must have bikes well below 500lbs. Has anyone ever done a before and after weigh in?
Cheers Mark - I haven't, I think Mike may have weighed his though.
I'm trying to organise a dyno run just for shits and giggles to see what it puts out at some stage soonish and am hoping to weigh it then

kiwi dave

Unsprung weight (i.e. wheels & wot they connect to) is the one to minimize to keep the tire and road in contact.

I removed the bracket that holds the license plate and tail light after I relocated them up under the seat. The bracket weighed in at 1.9 kg which is not a lot.

After riding the bike on wet roads, I got drenched with what the rear tire was throwing up. I fabricated a shield out of 6mm black plastic to sit behind the seat, but I was still getting wet.

So back on went the rear bracket with with it's tiny guard, and the difference is remarkable. It's ugly to look at, but then this is not a fashion show.

Edgelett, I see that you have removed yours. If you don't mind chain oil being flicked at you, how about cold wet water from those freezing Victorian roads in winter?

edgelett

Edgelett, I see that you have removed yours. If you don't mind chain oil being flicked at you, how about cold wet water from those freezing Victorian roads in winter?
I haven't been to Victoria for a few years. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia. ;)
And I generally don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it - if it's raining I'll catch the bus or take the car.
it's not a big deal to clean the bike if I get caught in a shower.

I do understand your point but it comes to personal preference and I like the look.
I rode for over 2 hours yesterday, no chain oil flicked on my bike anywhere.

Charliemurphay

I have the wunderkind guards and clean my chain religiously, no chain oil flung anywhere it shouldn’t be. Removing the front cover is where you are going to get the most sling-off as the chain takes the hard 180° around the sprocket.

motocroft

Unsprung weight (i.e. wheels & wot they connect to) is the one to minimize to keep the tire and road in contact.

I removed the bracket that holds the license plate and tail light after I relocated them up under the seat. The bracket weighed in at 1.9 kg which is not a lot.

After riding the bike on wet roads, I got drenched with what the rear tire was throwing up. I fabricated a shield out of 6mm black plastic to sit behind the seat, but I was still getting wet.

So back on went the rear bracket with with it's tiny guard, and the difference is remarkable. It's ugly to look at, but then this is not a fashion show.

I had worried removing the licence plate bracket and mount would cause tail spray.

Anyone got a rear hugger?

kiwi dave

I had worried removing the licence plate bracket and mount would cause tail spray.

Huggers are not that wonderful either. I have them on my Moto Guzzi V85 (the Chook Chaser!).

They tend to cog up on wet soil and/or clay, and then the tyre has effectively no tread. On one particular occasion it popped the hugger right off. Luckily, I was able to retrieve it and reinstall it again.

edgelett

a few people here have huggers, the one for the FTR doesn't go back very far at all to be honest and tends to be more for looks than function.
I have a hugger on my Honda and it covers far more of the rear tyre and looks a lot better in my view - and does seem to do more in terms of reducing spray.
I haven't had any issue with it clogging up with wet soil or clay, but I don't ride on dirt tracks/mud.

mcpt1

I ordered a Powerbronze hugger to keep the red painted swingarm from getting road rash. Also leaving the stock license bracket on , hate the way it looks but it's just too functional

cupcake_mike

look at the way the wheel rotates and you should never have a question as to whether a hugger would keep spray off your back....

The stock arm works because there is effectively no rear fender on the FTR, the tailight is practically at 12 o'clock (also why that arm is there in the first place, per DOT regs the license plate has to be placed behind the centerline of the wheel a certain amount). Look at the official indian high mount tag bracket and you'll see why its 18" long.

Last edited:

Breto

Yep I put up with shit flicking up because I love the look…my carbon front fender got delivered today…will be there when I get home to fit it…seat not till January…👍😎