2022 FTR as a First Bike

Irving

I've had my FTR now for about 14 months so I decided to come clean. It was the first motorcycle I ever owned! The reason for this post was to let those considering the FTR but who lack a ton of experience a potential way forward. First of all I'm happy to say I've loved every minute on this bike. Thought I wasn't a motorcyclist I am a pilot and fly an acrobatic airplane.

As I hadn't rode bikes before I started carefully getting used to riding it slowly (less than ten miles an hour) and practicing small figure 8s and doing small circles at the airport. Once I could easily control it going slow, I got on the road in "rain mode" and began riding on country roads that were twisty but not heavily used. After that I started practicing fast braking/stops and leaning into the corners. Eventually I put it in sport mode and haven't looked back. For me the bike proved nimble and forgiving and my confidence grew with use. With all the rider modes available, it allowed me to progress steadily without fear. I think if you're disciplined, the 2022 FTR could be a first bike - even for those who lack experience.

I'm glad I went this route even with its risks. I'm okay with those who disagree - your thoughts are welcome.

D

Deleted member 706

I believe that there are many parallels between riding and flying, firstly neither is especially dangerous but are very unforgiving in a mishap.
As a pilot you are already very safety conscious.
Well done with such an entry model bike.

FTR London

I've had my FTR now for about 14 months so I decided to come clean. It was the first motorcycle I ever owned! The reason for this post was to let those considering the FTR but who lack a ton of experience a potential way forward. First of all I'm happy to say I've loved every minute on this bike. Thought I wasn't a motorcyclist I am a pilot and fly an acrobatic airplane.

As I hadn't rode bikes before I started carefully getting used to riding it slowly (less than ten miles an hour) and practicing small figure 8s and doing small circles at the airport. Once I could easily control it going slow, I got on the road in "rain mode" and began riding on country roads that were twisty but not heavily used. After that I started practicing fast braking/stops and leaning into the corners. Eventually I put it in sport mode and haven't looked back. For me the bike proved nimble and forgiving and my confidence grew with use. With all the rider modes available, it allowed me to progress steadily without fear. I think if you're disciplined, the 2022 FTR could be a first bike - even for those who lack experience.

I'm glad I went this route even with its risks. I'm okay with those who disagree - your thoughts are welcome.
Given your skills and coordination at the stick, I'm not surprised to hear you've adapted well and I thoroughly respect the measured way you approached this.

What I cannot comprehend however is the ease that they appear to grant licences in the states. Many or the crashes that you watch on You Tube are young American kids on 1 litre sports bikes that don't seem to remotely understand the basic rudiments of approaching/negotiating a corner or a bend.

Irving

Given your skills and coordination at the stick, I'm not surprised to hear you've adapted well and I thoroughly respect the measured way you approached this.

What I cannot comprehend however is the ease that they appear to grant licences in the states. Many or the crashes that you watch on You Tube are young American kids on 1 litre sports bikes that don't seem to remotely understand the basic rudiments of approaching/negotiating a corner or a bend.
You're bringing up valid concerns. Discipline and practice are not generally considered part of our youth (though there are exceptions). I'm not sure I'd of had the maturity and discipline needed in my youth to start on such a bike.

FTR London

You're bringing up valid concerns. Discipline and practice are not generally considered part of our youth (though there are exceptions). I'm not sure I'd of had the maturity and discipline needed in my youth to start on such a bike.
Apollo veteran, Pete Conrad, an absolute legend used to hare around and tear up the neighbourhood on an Indian motorcycle that he restored himself, at the same time that he was learning to fly. Kind of the other way round.

Walrus

Any bike can be a first bike if you're prudent and , certainly the FTR isn't a monster.
Makes perfect sense.
Beauty of the FTR is it also works for jaded veterans.

edgelett

it sounds like you did it the 'sensible' way and actually learnt some basic skills first rather than getting on the FTR and blasting down the road. We've seen a lot of complete write offs from people who bought it as their first bike & headed down the road with wide open throttle and then smashed in to a stationary object.
You can never ride fast if you can't ride slowly smoothly. so what you did, starting off in car parks & learning to control your throttle/clutch is sensible.

personally, coming from a place that has serious restrictions on licensing and as you have pointed out seeing young people in particular get themselves in trouble for riding like morons, I usually recommend getting a smaller bike such as a 400 or 600 and learning those roadcraft skills on that first before getting a litre bike. they weigh less, are usually lower to the ground, and easier to manouver at low speed.
but as I said, it sounds like you did things slowly which is smart.

One thing I do suggest - if you haven't done so already, book yourself in to a motorcycle safety course. There's things you learn in those (particularly regarding looking at traffic around you) that are better to learn in a course than learn the hard way.

Irving

it sounds like you did it the 'sensible' way and actually learnt some basic skills first rather than getting on the FTR and blasting down the road. We've seen a lot of complete write offs from people who bought it as their first bike & headed down the road with wide open throttle and then smashed in to a stationary object.
You can never ride fast if you can't ride slowly smoothly. so what you did, starting off in car parks & learning to control your throttle/clutch is sensible.

personally, coming from a place that has serious restrictions on licensing and as you have pointed out seeing young people in particular get themselves in trouble for riding like morons, I usually recommend getting a smaller bike such as a 400 or 600 and learning those roadcraft skills on that first before getting a litre bike. they weigh less, are usually lower to the ground, and easier to manouver at low speed.
but as I said, it sounds like you did things slowly which is smart.

One thing I do suggest - if you haven't done so already, book yourself in to a motorcycle safety course. There's things you learn in those (particularly regarding looking at traffic around you) that are better to learn in a course than learn the hard way.
Tash (I think? - sorry if I got that wrong), For Christmas a couple of years ago I got the whole family each a motorcycle safety course just to do something together and make it a bit unusual. It was just a day or two but if you passed you got a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's lic. We all got to ride little Honda bikes and at the end of the day there was a written and an actual parking lot test on these little bikes. I can't think of the name of the course but we had fun and we all got our endorsement. And then I read about the FTR a year later and...

Max Kool

Tash (I think? - sorry if I got that wrong), For Christmas a couple of years ago I got the whole family each a motorcycle safety course just to do something together and make it a bit unusual.
The advanced one ;-)

The basic training is super simple and doesn’t set you up for real world situations. Besides, it’s fun!

edgelett

Tash (I think? - sorry if I got that wrong),
Yep that's me :)

Oh cool, yes those are good for learning basic vehicle control/clutch/gears etc.

If you get the chance to do an advanced one, do it they're well worth the investment.