'23 FTR R in Iowa

Azamatka

Longtime rider, first Indian.
Picked it up this morning.

View attachment 8200
I wonder what you have to say about this bike. I'm a total novice and '22 Carbon R is my first and only bike and literally the 4th bike I've ever had a chance to ride. The other 3 were Honda Unicorn 150 (a fantastic bike for its USD 1800 price!!!), Indian Scout Bobber and Indian Chief Bobber. I wonder what people with experience feel about the FTR with all its quirks and funs.

broncoguy27

It's an awful lot of bike for a beginner, pay attention to it so it doesn't get away from you. Wouldn't be my first choice for starting but since you already own it set it to rain mode, and be careful.

irsh

I wonder what you have to say about this bike. I'm a total novice and '22 Carbon R is my first and only bike and literally the 4th bike I've ever had a chance to ride. The other 3 were Honda Unicorn 150 (a fantastic bike for its USD 1800 price!!!), Indian Scout Bobber and Indian Chief Bobber. I wonder what people with experience feel about the FTR with all its quirks and funs.
Frankly, I would have pushed you toward something smaller/lighter as a first bike. If possible a dual-sport (something like the Honda XR150L, similar to the Unicorn) would be a great 2nd bike to get some time on, less power, less weight, cheaper to replace any parts after the unexpected...
A riders training course would also be a benefit to a new rider.

Last edited:

Roddy

Ive owned a bunch of big bikes but the ftr is certainly unique. The engine is a monster and puts a smile on the face as the revs climb. But not having a tank to grip onto with the legs makes it interesting to control at speed. Definitely a bike to ride with caution if starting out.