Break in oil filter inspection

KRS Fuel

Did the initial oil change just under 500 miles and wanted to inspect the polaris filter. The filter seems pretty good quality with a sturdy coil spring bypass, sturdy threaded base, silicone anti drainback valve and metal end caps and filter media joiner. The filter media is pretty thick. The filter media had a fair amount or metal fleckies in it and a little gasket material but seems pretty normal, the filter did its job. The oil in my drain container was pretty cloudy with metal to be expected, but nothing crazy it was still nice and gold colored. Filled it back up with the syn polaris 15w60 stuff and new polaris filter and copper crush washers and 15lb/ft of torque on the plugs.
6C60774C-EE5C-463D-ACBA-588EF68C98C6.jpeg2062129E-2D4E-4B55-9DEE-0A7754E14957.jpeg

John-FTR17

Did you pull your Air Filter also and inspect it? I plan to actually do my 500 mile service prematurely at 250 or so miles because I am just like that. I will probably change the stock Air Filter to K&N Air Filter that I got on Amazon because the stock filter looks really cheap. Thanks for the pics of your Oil Filter! (y)

KRS Fuel

Did you pull your Air Filter also and inspect it? I plan to actually do my 500 mile service prematurely at 250 or so miles because I am just like that. I will probably change the stock Air Filter to K&N Air Filter that I got on Amazon because the stock filter looks really cheap. Thanks for the pics of your Oil Filter! (y)
Nah I’m not too worried about the air filter yet its sorta a pain to pull it out. Changing the oil a little early is not going to hurt anything. Respectfully, I’m not the biggest fan of wet oil air filters personally because they seem to coat everything downstream of the filter in a fine coat of oil that just collects dirt and makes a mess, even if they’re oiled very lightly. Unless they grant huge power gains they aren’t worth the mess to me especially on the hot wire maf sensors like on cars and stuff. I’m no expert but if they flow a lot more air I can’t imagine they filter as well either for only a very modest power gain. Idk Iol

Last edited:

John-FTR17

Yeah the Air Filter is really a pain to get to on the FTR and I actually had to watch a video on how to get at it. When I change my Air Filter I will also take pics and post them to show visual difference between the stock Air Filter and the K&N Filter.

Massimo

No clacking noise for one or two seconds when you start the engine after the oil and filter change ??

Max Kool

That's the nature of hydraulic cam chain adjusters I guess.

My FTR does it, my Vit does it, my BMW's did it...

Max Kool

Oh I misread, after an oil change, not the regular rattle when you normally start your bike?

Was it worse? I can't even recall.

Max Kool

I hear it sometimes, not always. If it does it's typically after a short pitstop during ride.

Doesn't bother me, it's just how hydraulic camchain adjusters work.

KRS Fuel

Next filter change I gonna try fill up the filter ! I hate that noise !!
Dude you can try to fill it but its futile with it horizontal. If you’re really concerned you can just disable spark and crank it for a few bursts and fill the filter with the oil pump and pump up the tensioners then start it. I just start it, the oil pump will slam full that tiny filter fast and the timing tensioners.

Ray Tsang

Yeah the Air Filter is really a pain to get to on the FTR and I actually had to watch a video on how to get at it. When I change my Air Filter I will also take pics and post them to show visual difference between the stock Air Filter and the K&N Filter.
I just bought the K&N air filter, and also the PowerVision 3 together. Do you think after the K&N air filter replacement, I will need to re map the engine again? Would it run well without? Thx

Max Kool

Nope, a K&N filter does nothing measurable on our bikes. No hp gain, no change in tune required.

(well actually, they let in more fine dust, so don’t use one in dusty conditions)

Ray Tsang

Nope, a K&N filter does nothing measurable on our bikes. No hp gain, no change in tune required.

(well actually, they let in more fine dust, so don’t use one in dusty conditions)
Thanks Max. By calling themselves the "high flow filters", i assume there will be more air going into the engine, hence changes the air/fuel mix....not true? if not true, is there a point at all to change the filter? Only to make it washable and reusable?

Max Kool

The air filter is not the restricting element in the airbox. It’s rather the sum of the shape, volume and inlet of the airbox.

some prefer a washable/reusable filter, and that’s ok imho.

Ultratoad

Too bad you can only fill it up to about a third because it's horizontally mounted....
Actually, you can fill it up about 2/3 because the filter material holds the oil very well.... Have been filling my filters for years.... Definitely makes a difference getting the oil pumping on start up....