crank position sensor died

kungfoojesus

Anyone else losing crank position sensors? I made it 2 tanks of gas after installing the translogic then boom out of no where I was stranded. Probably my fault for zip tieing the translogic wires to the crank position sensor wire, best guess. Dissecting it now to scope the sensor and see if its the magnet or wire that went bad.

kungfoojesus

First I’ve heard of it. I don’t even know where it is.
Yeh even Google was like, whats a crank position sensor FTR 1200. lol Seems I'm a special boy for killing mine. It must be a pretty reliable part if the entire internet of FTR owners (plus its a 445mm sensor so its shared on other indians) doesn't ask what p0355 crank position sensor code is rofl.

Its the wire that comes out of the case right next to the case saver, you probably zip tied your translogic cables to it because it is a significant part of that case saver wiring bundle. Fun fact, if you pull it and clean the metal dust off it, your bike runs better, in theory. Its in the ballpark of cleaning up your main grounds type better... I've never pulled it and cleaned it like I do my ABS sensors to keep them functioning properly (calibration wise), but I should more often see if it has metal on it or not.

I really don't know what the plug end looks like yet. I didn't investigate when I had the subframe and gas tank out but I'm finding out tonight where it runs to... fingers crossed its just a loose plug from me biffing the gas tank install or something.

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

Crank position sensor replaced. Bike still says p0355 no crank sensor signal in the diag menu. Guess it goes to dealer because this is electrical now. Translogic quick shifter installed for 100 miles before this failure. No other changes. Taking translogic back off tonight see if condition changes. Gonna guess my ECM is fried with a lloyd's v6 tune on it. Dealer is about booked for the season out so fingers crossed I'll update ya'll when I hear something or know more.

(Update, ECM is 100% fine and the code it was throwing was a gremlin, not sure why it threw a crank sensor code because it refuses to come back after many many many attempts to get it to throw code again. Bike just isn’t starting no codes now just a CEL)

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Quick shifter is simply a spark cut for your coils.

Where did you put your ground?

kungfoojesus

Got a new error sweeeeet this one just says hey good luck.

(Update, 158 is Indians code for low voltage confusion, basically it can’t diag or code so it just says 158 because low voltage while typically is a battery issue, can also be caused by many other things) My 158 was caused by repeatedly cranking while making changes to diagnose no start through process of elimination. My battery depleted so this code and data is not part of my issues
IMG_0717.jpeg

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

I’m betting you pinched a wire putting the tank and side cover back on
Yeah it won't start and won't display errors now. I can't find any pinched wires and I am sure I didn't but I need a pinout diagram. Normally a pinched wire wouldn't allow bike to run fine then it just doesn't start after a shut down.

Update: (158 code is from low battery, so was the weird screen issues. Low battery was from repeated starting to diagnose no start.)

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

How would I pinch a wire there are no wires to pinch.

Update: (I had 2 crank sensors on bike and didn’t realize I had plugged in the wrong one lol. The bike is running fine as long as I hook the oem harness to the ignition coils, not to the trans logic)

There’s throttle body, ignition coil, crank position sensor (not rly but ok), and fuel tank wires. Everything else is loomed and anything out of the loom is what I mentioned and checked.
image.jpg

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

Ok long story short, it starts now without the trans logic hooked up. I’m so dumb I have two OEM 445mm crank sensors on the bike right now and had the wrong one plugged in. (Sry for the confusion I tried to clean up the thread to useful info.)

The bike is seeing both the old and new sensor and both scope correctly.

The bike is running with the trans logic unhooked from ignition coils now.

As this progresses it appears my trans logic is the X factor in it running or not running. The error conditions went away once I unhooked the trans logic.

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

As you can see I cycled the bike to clear the CEL with the trans logic unhooked.

I guess I’ll hook the trans logic back up with a new crank sensor I bought as well and see if the issue persists now.

I need to learn more about this bike to figure out what happened, both on wiring and ignition timing. I have no clue currently I’m just theorizing.

I will say I did not find one burnt trace on anything and I went through EVERY pin with a magnifier.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

kungfoojesus

For anyone reading that wants the current conclusion shortly.

Trans logic is failing to allow the bike to run. The 2019 FTR1200S indicated “no crank sensor P0355” when it broke down on a ride 100 miles after install of trans logic quick shifter.

I have repeatedly removed and installed the translogic QS to make sure this is the no run condition. My crank sensor is fine as is the new one I bought for $128.

I am contacting TOCE and translogic to see what they can do for me. The wiring on the quick shifter and bike are not broken 100% fine.

kungfoojesus

Also ignore my low mileage my original OEM cluster was replaced out of warranty period by my dealer for free because it delaminated to the point I couldn’t see my speed anymore. 2019 model doesn’t save mileage to ECM so when you get a new cluster it starts at 0 miles again.

kungfoojesus

Translogic is having the unit off my bike sent to them for diagnosis. TOCE was responsive and so was translogic. They worked together and called me right back. TOCE is providing a shipping label as well.

The FTR is running fine again with the OEM harness hooked to the ignition. No codes and no gremlins. No other changes to harness, tune, ECM, or anything have been made. Bike is exactly as it was before the quick shifter and running exactly as it was.

Will update with more info as it happens. Sry for any confusion. I tried to clean up the thread to provide useful info only and remove a mistake I made on the sensor and remove any information that isn’t pertinent.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Sorry I’m traveling. But I sent this to Justin last night so he was already taking to trans logic. Toce customer service is second to none. Will be curious to see what went wrong.