Engine light with less than 2Kmi

Zilonis

After reading several comments around the web about the 1200s throwing codes I thought to myself, nahh that won't happen to my bike... it's brand new! Well technically it sat for 2 years but I bought this 2019 with almost no miles, so yeah.. brand new.

Yesterday I went out on my longest non-stop ride (~2hrs) with my 19RR and it also happened to be the hottest day I've ridden, about 95Deg F. Besides being hot af it was a great ride.

After reaching my destination the bike sat for at least an hour. Upon bring her back to life the dreaded ENGINE LIGHT reared it's ugly head. I checked oil levels, temp, etc.. nothing wrong that I could see so I went on with my 2hr ride back home with no issues at all.

Unfortunately the 2 Indian dealers nearest to me in Massachusetts aren't open until Tuesday so I'll have to wait a few days to bring her in to get the code checked.

My bike has ~1750 miles.

Any suggestion on things to check?
Would you continue to ride the bike?
Can we pull the codes ourselves w/o having to bring it to the stealership?

I hope you are all out on your bikes already and nobody sees this until tonight! I'll probably ride regardless :)

K9F

2019 models will clear the code if the fault has gone away in a single ignition cycle. If the fault is still there, there are instructions in your Owners Manual how to get it? Who reads manuals anyway?

Here is the Polaris Online Portal to the Owners Manual that explains it!

Multi-Function Display Modes (polarisportal.com)

The three digit code you retrieve can then be interpreted by anyone that has the Service Manual with the SPN and FMI numbers you get into the possible cause in section 4.35 of said manual.

Last edited:

Zilonis

The engine light ended up clearing on it's own 🙏 I believe it was after the 3rd ignition cycle. I think it was the bike just agreeing with me that long highway rides on the FTR in high temps are not a favorite. Damn that seat gets uncomfortable after a few hours!

Zilonis

Engine light came back on the other day. Wasn't as hot as the first time so that doesn't seem to be related.

Again, after 3 ignition cycles the light is gone. Checked the diagnostics screen prior to light going off, no codes to be found.

idk 🤷‍♂️

devinbreeding

Engine light came back on the other day. Wasn't as hot as the first time so that doesn't seem to be related.

Again, after 3 ignition cycles the light is gone. Checked the diagnostics screen prior to light going off, no codes to be found.

idk 🤷‍♂️
Have you done the latest ride command update? From what I’ve noticed it might be better at viewing stored trouble codes.

As far as the cause, I would bet intermittent cylinder misfire on warmup but obviously just guessing.

Snakum

About 180 miles was my limit on the OEM seat. Was a complete enjoyment killer thereafter.

It took a 5 hour run for me to find the hot spots, but they were definitely there. 😄

Nothing that a couple gel pads won't fix. I know a guy.

Reactions: K9F