FTR 1200 v. FTR 1200 S

Hanson

What's your pleasure, guys (and gals)? Which one are you going for? I read an article that said the S doesn't have a quickshifter and I'm wondering why they neglected to do that. For $2K more, I would have thought they'd have it on the list. It's not a super big deal; just something you'd expect for the money.

Bad'Tude

I hear ya on the quickshifter, but I just (literally just yesterday) got my hands on the FTR 1200 (no S) and I can tell you the shifting is relatively smooth. Should they have added a quickshifter? Sure. Am I overjoyed to have this bike even without one? You bet! :D

That Guy

@ Hanson......The displacement is probably low enough to where it isn't needed. That would be my guess.

As for the rise in price, they probably feel that customer demand is high enough to where the can get away with it.

Good question.

Santiago Red

If I buy one of the FTR 1200 bikes, and I'm certainly leaning that way, I'm going for the S model no doubt about it. I bought the most basic version of the Kawasaki Ninja years ago and it's been fine, but this time I want a bike with all the bells and whistles.

K9F

Considering the extras you get with the S model I think the standard FTR is overpriced. The S comes in at only £1100 more in the UK.

Zigg

The S version is so eye-catching! Watching the boy in red, black, and gold finish actually runs on some YouTube videos is impressive. Then I read further and saw a comment about the rear tire wearing out rather quickly, so I'm back to thinking mode for now.

K9F

If you ride it like you stole it any tyre won't last long. I only get about 5.5K miles out of my 260 rear tyre on my other bike and at £250 a go isn't cheap. Nevertheless the 'miles are full of smiles' the price you may have to pay for enjoyment.

Of course other tyres will fit too, if you want to consider something else if you don't get the longevity out of an OEM one?

Zigg

@K9F The article I saw was a review of the bike by a professional, so I guess he pushed the thing to the limit in various situations. I also prefer to stick to the original manufacturers unless the differences are major. I don't want to think about compatibility issues or such.

mark.lb

I own a “S” model Race Replica. One of the nicest features of the “S” model is lean angle sensitive traction control. The bike has a 6 axis IMU (internal measurement unit) that controls the traction control. This is a very powerful motorcycle cycle and is very easy to ride fast. The traction control is helpful if you lose concentration while riding aggressively and make a little mistake. It also can be “turned off” if you so desire. That might be valuable if you take the motorcycle to a race track. For every day riding - traction control and ABS are a great safety feature.. mark.lb

MarkX

I ordered an S in black and the full carbon kit, but they just aren't being delivered here in the UK so I've been offered a Race Rep which arrived at dealers today, off tomorrow to pay and sort out delivery.... could be on the road Saturday or Monday, at last! So mine will be red framed S with carbon tank and seat cowl lol