Handgaurds - Straight from Amazon - Would like some advice from the pro's and the amateurs.

Sup fam,

I'm on a tear modifying the bike before March 3rd when we officially leave Dallas, TX for Daytona Beach, FL for Bike Week. So we're on a deadline right? Well through one of the users I found through some older threads here he'd ordered some hand guards that looked amazing on his FTR 1200 S. They were black; and looked almost the same as some folks REALLY expensive Bark-Busters. So what's the harm? They were only $29.99 and w/ Prime I got them next day. So they arrived just now and I've disassembled them. Take a look at the photo's, I'd really like them to be Gloss Black to match my bike but Black was out of stock until "April 10th" so F that noise. I ordered "White" and decided I'll either sand them down, prime em' and paint them black then glossify them. Or as a friend just suggested; he said Plasti-Dip has made some real strides and you could skip sanding entirely and skip a lot of work by just Plasti-Dip'ing them using a "Glossify" style black dip.

Ideas bois and gurls? Also first time I've taken the bike out on wet-ish roads today; I didn't' expect a "rear waggle" when I gave it a little bit of the beans coming out of a corner in 2nd and man it felt good. Prolly looked cool as shit; at least in my head it did.

Attachments

• Gaurds-1.JPG
    Gaurds-1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Gaurds-2.JPG
    Gaurds-2.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Gaurds-3.JPG
    Gaurds-3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

cupcake_mike

I'd make sure they fit before you spent too much time painting them. I've heard complaints about the mc/clutch perch/switch housings being too large to accommodate generic handguards. Folks seem to have success with the ones that just mount on the bar-end.

Yeah? I picked these SPECIFICALLY because of a Forum Post of this guys awesome FTR that he linked to these on Amazon. Like these exact ones. So I'm hoping they'll go on without too much trouble. I picked up some Rust-Oleum "Plasti-Dip" competitor in "Gloss Black" and we'll see!

I'm going to try and attach the actual metal backbone tonight; and if they go on alright then I"ll paint and attach the plastic hand gaurds. It's the actual bar end/double attachment I"m worried about considering there's no instructions at all.

May post on Reddit and see if anyone has done similar and if they have any idea where to start...

edgelett

I've used Rustoleum and Plasti Dip on various plastic parts in the past, haven't had an issue but they will eventually peel and you'll need to touch up.
Pretty easy to do though.