Indian FTR vs Yamaha MT-10 / MT-10 SP

mikemxbike4

Hi guys.

New member here with a 2024 FTR R Carbon.

I've had my bike for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. After plenty of thinking and research, I've narrowed down my options to FTR R Carbon and Yamaha MT-10 SP.

While I absolutely love my bike, I'm still curious to know whether any of you have cross-shopped against MT-10, and if so - what made you go the FTR route?

Thanks in advance!

Reno Deano

I have a 2023 FTR Sport. It has great torque, speed, and handling. Its styling is awesome. It is very comfortable on long rides. It seamlessly flicks through twisties with a steady planted feeling. It is very tractable in all situations. Weight is well balanced. Has decent gas mileage (50+ mpg), but the 3.4 gal tank is too small! Went to the FTR from a Suzuki 1200S bandit. I also looked into the Suzuki 1200 GS, MT 09, and others. I have around 1,000 miles on it so far. Ride it often in the Sierra Nevada range near Reno, NV.

irsh

A buddy of mine had an MT10 and now has an FTR. It happens. There's definitely more to it than performance or I wouldn't be here.

tomarline

Hi guys.

New member here with a 2024 FTR R Carbon.

I've had my bike for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. After plenty of thinking and research, I've narrowed down my options to FTR R Carbon and Yamaha MT-10 SP.

While I absolutely love my bike, I'm still curious to know whether any of you have cross-shopped against MT-10, and if so - what made you go the FTR route?

Thanks in advance!

tomarline

I have a '22 Carbon. It's a special bike, not much else to compare it to. It's way faster than it should be and handles fantastic. It cost too much and has a small tank but I don't care. I live in the mountains of North Georgia about an hour from Deals Gap etc. we have nothing but twisty roads. It's perfect for here. I wouldn't trade it for a dozen ugly ass MT-10's. They're fast in a straight line but in a series of twistys it's damn near impossible to stay with the FTR. Unless ur Scott Russell or somebody like that.. Oh yeah, it eats tires also..

mikemxbike4

From what I have gathered, the FTR has significantly more punch off the bottom compared to MT-10. I actually like the look of the current gen MT-10 (SP model in particular), and the sound of crossplane I-4 is pretty sweet, but I agree that FTR is still more inique, and has more character.

Sail Captain

The FTR is a fantastic multi use bike. Weekend travel, commuting, track day riding, terrorizing the neighborhood it’s a brawler of a naked bike that feels and handles like a middle weight but with 120 hp. Watch the fortnine video where he reviews the FTR and puts the styling on par with the Ducati 916/996. It’s loosely descended from a history making flat tracker and now has a pro racing class. How many bikes can check that many boxes and crash that many parties?

mikemxbike4

The FTR is a fantastic multi use bike. Weekend travel, commuting, track day riding, terrorizing the neighborhood it’s a brawler of a naked bike that feels and handles like a middle weight but with 120 hp. Watch the fortnine video where he reviews the FTR and puts the styling on par with the Ducati 916/996. It’s loosely descended from a history making flat tracker and now has a pro racing class. How many bikes can check that many boxes and crash that many parties?
I agree with your summary. To be fair, MT-10 also checks those boxes, but is not on part with FTR as far as personality/ unique design go.

I did watch that Fortnine video by the way. Not a huge fan of his channel if I'm being honest, but that's a whole another topic lol.

irsh

The MT10, descended from the R1 which has a pretty stellar international racing pedigree. I like my FTR too but let's not go crazy here. On par with the 916?!

mikemxbike4

The MT10, descended from the R1 which has a pretty stellar international racing pedigree. I like my FTR too but let's not go crazy here. On par with the 916?!
It sure does. That crossplane CP4 is a great engine. But would you replace your FTR with MT-10 if you can only chose one bike? Haha

Azamatka

Indian FTR R Carbon 2022 is my first and only bike and although my buddy wanted me to get the MT09 or Tracer GT9 (both cheaper and possibly better bikes in general than the FTR) I figured that even if i didn't continue riding later on, I'd still prefer my first and only bike to be a beauty. I literally bought it for the looks. This bike gets all kinds of praises, thumbs ups and smiles when I ride around or stop by a petrol station, a good half of those praises, thumbs ups and smiles coming from me 😄😄😄

I had a chance to sit on MT09, Tracer GT9 and Ducati Monster later and can say that those bikes seem to be much lighter than my FTR. But their looks are not my cup of tea.

irsh

Indian FTR R Carbon 2022 is my first and only bike and although my buddy wanted me to get the MT09 or Tracer GT9 (both cheaper and possibly better bikes in general than the FTR) I figured that even if i didn't continue riding later on, I'd still prefer my first and only bike to be a beauty. I literally bought it for the looks. This bike gets all kinds of praises, thumbs ups and smiles when I ride around or stop by a petrol station, a good half of those praises, thumbs ups and smiles coming from me 😄😄😄

I had a chance to sit on MT09, Tracer GT9 and Ducati Monster later and can say that those bikes seem to be much lighter than my FTR. But their looks are not my cup of tea.
Yamaha makes a great engine, too bad their design team is in the weeds.
Except for that new XSR900GP that looks fantastic and of course won't be coming to the USA.

murder.goblin

I traded an MT10 for my FTR.
The MT10 is a better bike in just about every measurable way; it's much faster, handles way more smoothly and predictably and stops faster. Touring is better due to the increased range - 260km on a tank vs the 160-170 I get on a tank on my FTR (and it's not a pain in the arse to refill). It's comfortable to do a full day riding and it sounds like a MotoGP bike when you rev the guts out of it.
However, it didn't make me smile like the FTR does. On a racetrack I'd take the MT10 every time, but in real world riding the FTR is so much more fun. The MT10 was too 'serious' feeling and you can't use that much bike on the road. The FTR is sketchy, loves to slide around has a mean bark and gets way more attention from other riders than the MT ever did. It feels a bit more 'special' to own.

mikemxbike4

I traded an MT10 for my FTR.
The MT10 is a better bike in just about every measurable way; it's much faster, handles way more smoothly and predictably and stops faster. Touring is better due to the increased range - 260km on a tank vs the 160-170 I get on a tank on my FTR (and it's not a pain in the arse to refill). It's comfortable to do a full day riding and it sounds like a MotoGP bike when you rev the guts out of it.
However, it didn't make me smile like the FTR does. On a racetrack I'd take the MT10 every time, but in real world riding the FTR is so much more fun. The MT10 was too 'serious' feeling and you can't use that much bike on the road. The FTR is sketchy, loves to slide around has a mean bark and gets way more attention from other riders than the MT ever did. It feels a bit more 'special' to own.
That’s exactly how I thought they might compare, but I wanted to hear from someone who has owned both. Thank you! I feel like the little quirks and imperfections of the FTR actually add to the character, and make it more exciting to ride.