(Most probably) new FTR Biker:-)

Murdock

Hi all,

my name is Oliver and I am from Germany. I am quite close to ordering my FTR 1200 S. To be honest, the decision is already made: I have googled a lot, watched test videos, read all the articles and finally I have done a testride two days ago. And yes, the FTR will be my next bike.

The last 11 years I had a lot of fun with my Buell XB12S. Unfortunately, I crashed it this year on a tour in Sardegna.

Here is one of the last pics in good condition:

Long story in short: It's time for something new and it will be a FTR 1200 S. A KTM Super Duke or a Triumph Speed Tripple would probably fit better to my riding style but I don't like all the modern looking bikes.

The next week I will do some configuration with the local dealer and than ...

TO BE CONTINUED! ;)

Cheers
Oliver

Murdock

No response here? Okay, it's a small and still growing Forum.

But here is an update from my side: I ordered my FTR 1200 S yesterday! 😍

The Bike is already in the shop but I ordered some AddOns from the Indian shelf to optimize it's main purpose as a touring bike.

• Small Windshield
  • Tank Bag
  • Messenger Bag
  • Handle Bar (perfect for fixing a larger bag on the rear)
  • Aviator Seat

Although I like the red framed RR, I ordered the black one due to the fact that it matches better with the updates. The original exhaust fits perfect into this picture. Another very nice update are the spoke wheels. I have not seen others who have ordered this option but I find them great and well fitting into the roadster outfit.

Some screenshots from the configurator tool:
114 115 116

There's is one more update that some of you may have waited for. Since I am only 174 cm tall, I had my issues with the original seat hight. The bike that I had the testride on was lowered 45mm with a customized 3rd party suspension. Riding was fine and the hight perfect for me and so I told the dealer: I want this!!! 🆒

I don't know which components in detail have been used but I will give an update when I know more. 😉

Some additional customizing will be done when I have it here: The original mirrors will have to go. I will keep the original license plate holder but will move the turn signals to the tail. Also the front turn signals may receive an update. But this will happen later step by step. First the bike has to be in my garage. 😁

Cheers
Oliver

Max Kool

Congratulations!

I think the spoked wheels are a step back actually. They may look nice if you like them, but you have to run tubes in your tires, which make repairing a flat lots harder. ;)

Murdock

Thats true Max. But Germany and the surrounding European neighbors are overflooded with BMW GS drivers and most of them have the spoke wheels. So it's very common and - hopefully - not too hard to get road assistance and experienced tyre shops. :)

So seen it is a step back in two aspects: The required tube from the technical perspective and the retro look from the design perspective :). It's always a question of personal taste.

Max Kool

BMW GS have had spoked tubeless wheels since 1990 or so..... (remember how you can see the spoke heads at the edge of the rim? Cross spoked wheels)

K9F

Welcome Oliver,

I too went for a black framed FTR but with the red on titanium silver styling. As I travel further afield on my FTR I too went for some of the same modifications as yourself with the luggage rack and mirrors and turn signals. Ironically enough my first longer haul trip was to Germany to visit relatives and to go to the Hartz mountains. Welcome to the site. This site is a little quiet but there is more action with the same people elsewhere if you peruse the Indian Forums.

Murdock

Hi K9F,

the Hartz is great for motorcycle trips, good choice. I live close to the Netherlands border and we do not have mountains and much nice curves here. For short trips I head to the Eifel or Sauerland. For the longer trips I go to the Dolomites, Sea Alps, or Pyrenees. This year we have been on Sardegna. I am underways with a group of 10 people since about 15 years now.

I am really looking forward to the first trip with the FTR: Next year I will start the season with an advanced driver training from the ADAC (AA in England or AAA in the US). This is helpful to get a good feeling for the new bike and testing things like best fitting cornering techniques, use of ABS and things like that.

Cheers
Oliver

K9F

Hi Again Oliver,

I was based near the Dutch border on the Germany side for the best part of 9 years whilst in the Royal Air Force at Laarbruch and then at Bruggen. There used to be some great Sunday bike meets in the Summer in that area. One I attended most was at a forest cafe near Viersen.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Welcome, you will enjoy it, I promise!

I was also looking at the super duke, glad I didn't buy it.

Murdock

The wait has ended and last Friday I picked up my FTR from the dealer 🤗. I took it for a first ride on Saturday but is was 6* celsius, so it was only a short trip.

Here are some pics of my setup:

FTR001.jpg FTR002.jpg FTR007.jpg FTR006.jpg

I purchased it wit the large grab handle but removed it because I will only need it for touring one or two time a year. It is always a question of taste but I think the brown seat harmonizes well with the side bag and tank bag on the black bike. I stored the original seat and wheels in my garage but for know I like the vintage look of my setup.

Some customizing will follow but let's wait and see what shows up on the aftermarket this summer :).

SURLY

Thats true Max. But Germany and the surrounding European neighbors are overflooded with BMW GS drivers and most of them have the spoke wheels. So it's very common and - hopefully - not too hard to get road assistance and experienced tyre shops. :)

So seen it is a step back in two aspects: The required tube from the technical perspective and the retro look from the design perspective :). It's always a question of personal taste.
The GS spoked wheels are tubeless they run the spokes to the edge of the rim I have the same set up on my Honda and its an utter bastard to clean them do yourself a favour and go tubeless that way you will not know you have a puncture till you are cleaning the bike I run sealant in my tyres you pull the nail out put the puncture to 6 oclock and its sealed done and dusted no sitting by the side of the road for hours waiting for the breakdown van.

Murdock

Thanks Ferraiolo1.

@SURLY: Yes Sir, I know (in the meantime, see above ;-) ). That is one reason why I also kept the other wheels. Time will show if I am happy with it.

Dirt Nasty

congratulations! I’m looking to buy an fTR for much the same riding style, and was looking at a lot of the same additions. Please update this with your experience as you log some kms! I’d love the reviews on the bike, comfort, and tank bag. Have fun!

Murdock

Thanks again for the congrats. It is really a pleasure to ride and even with the cold start issues in the first minutes it runs much more cultivated and smooth then the Buell ever did :).

@Dirt Nasty : I am happy to keep you updated and will give some input regarding the messenger bag and the tank bag later this week. Especially the tank bag was a positive surprise. :)

K9F

I have the Indian tank bag, despite it having a dry liner and a fold over flap on the zipper in torrential rain it will still let water in through the flap stitching. It is nevertheless a great handy bag for longer haul trips. Just make sure you extra-bag anything you want to keep dry if bad weather is forecast and you're heading out!

bag.jpg

Last edited: