New Member in Wisconsin

EllenGtrGrl

Hi, my name's Ellen, and I just jointed the FTR 1200 Forum. I live in the Milwaukee Metro Area (yep, in Harleyland :) ). I've been riding since 1979 ( when an old boyfriend pestered me to give motorcycles a try - you should have seen the fun, 16 year old me, had convincing dad to let her get a motrcycle!). I road steadily from 1979, till the early 90s (when I was in college at the University of Wisconsin in the 80s, my motorcycle was my sole source of transportation), when repairs my motorcycle needed at the time, forced me to quit riding (the repairs cost more than the bike was worth, and I couldn't afford another motorcycle). Life intervened, and through the rest of the 90s, and into the early 2010s, though I kept track of what was going on in the motorcycling world, I was not an active rider. In 2013, I finally told myself, "get another motorcycle, or get over it." So I bought a motorcycle (a 2004 BMW R1150R), and I've been riding ever since then.

I've gone through a few motorcycles since 2013 (BMW R1150R, Triumph 900 Thruxton, BMW F800R, and BMW R1200R), always preferring the sportier side of things (but not supersport/race rep). I always thought it would be great to have an American made sportbike, but by the time I started riding again, Buell was gone (and I didn't want an orphan bike), and the I didn't like the Harley Roadster I test road shortly after they came out (I hated the feet forward, lean towards the handlebars riding position, and $12,000 price for a bike that was at best, on a par performance-wise with the Triumph Thruxton 900 I had at the time [that cost quite a bit less than the Roadster]). When the FTR 1200 came out last year, I thought it was cool, but my 2016 BMW R1200R suited me just fine. All of that changed a couple of months ago, when I found out that the local BMW dealer, decided (without fanfare) to shut down late last year, making the nearest dealer support now 50 plus miles away (there are local mechanics that will do sevicing on BMWs, but for in depth servicing, BMW's diagnostic equipment is needed, which they don't have). So, due to the lack of dealer support for my current BMW R1200R, what was at the back of my mind, moved to the forefront - getting another sporty motorcycle, preferably American, from a local dealer. I test rode a Base Model FTR 1200 (on a 30 degree day, brrr!), very much liked the riding experience (sporty, without being naked racebike extreme), and after I was given a good offer (with my R1200R as a trade-in) said "sold!"

It'll be interesting to see the reactions at work in the motorcycle parking area, when I start using my FTR 1200 for my daily work commute (complete with some spirited riding, during the 25 mile trip on backroads) - especially since most of the other riders at work, ride cruisers (not my thing), with a few of them being Harleys. :D

EllenGtrGrl

Thanks!

If it ever warms up enough today (It's supposed to get up to 54, but it's still only in the upper 30s), I'll take the R1200R to the Indian dealership I bought my FTR 1200 from, and hopefully do the deed (sign the papers, trade my R1200R, and ride home in the FTR 1200). But it needs to get warmer - my days of freezing on a motorcycle are over with. It's not like when I was in college in the 80s, and a cycle was my only set of wheels (so I had to put up with the cold). While I have a warm enough jacket, and cold weather motorcycle gloves, my legs get pretty cold! If it hits the upper 40s, I'll putter my way to the dealership (which is about 15 miles away), on the back roads, to keep from freezing too much in the wind blast.

EllenGtrGrl

I just picked up the bike an hour and a half ago, and ride it home. I froze in the process but it was worth it. Yee Haa!

I have a question, with the weather here in Wisconsin being iffy at best until at least the middle of April, my FTR 1200 is going to more than likely sit for the next several weeks. I don't want to kill the battery, and since I don't have access to a power outlet for a battery tender, in the underground parking space, that my car and bike are parked in (in my apartment building), I will have to disconnect the battery like I've done to all of my bikes, during the cold weather months. I know how to do it, but I wonder - could I possibly get the same effect (a disconnected battery), if I pull one of the main power fuses? If so, which one? It would sure beat having to lay on dirty cement, to get at my battery.

edgelett

Welcome And congrats on your new FTR! Good to see another female rider in here to keep Me company in what would otherwise Be a sausage fest lol.

its a ripper bike.

EllenGtrGrl

Welcome And congrats on your new FTR! Good to see another female rider in here to keep Me company in what would otherwise Be a sausage fest lol.

its a ripper bike.

Thanks! I know what you mean. :) Nicely enough, the salesperson I dealt with, when I bought the bike, was a woman rider. I said to basically the same thing - it sure was nice to run into another woman rider. I makes me feel less like a country of one in the motorcycling world (something I've dealt with for ages). Not all of us are just passengers on motorcycles.

Ellen

Last edited:

K9F

Welcome from T'other Side of the Pond. If you have no parasitic drain or consumption for example an alarm it is generally the cold itself that diminishes battery capacity and removing the fuse won't make any difference. Always best to remove the battery in it's entirety and take it somewhere with better environmental conditions IMHO. You could consider leaving the battery in and buying a portable booster should you need it when it comes time to fire the FTR up?

Last edited:

Murdock

Congrats and a warm welcome to cold Milwaukee 🌞. I have same issues with the weather here and can't wait riding the new bike.

EllenGtrGrl

Welcome from T'other Side of the Pond. If you have no parasitic drain or consumption for example an alarm it is generally the cold itself that diminishes battery capacity and removing the fuse won't make any difference. Always best to remove the battery in it's entirety and take it somewhere with better environmental conditions IMHO. You could consider leaving the battery in and buying a portable booster should you need it when it comes time to fire the FTR up?

Hi! :)

Actually, I'm lucky in that regards - my apartment buildinf has a heated garage, so cold temps are not a concern for my battery. My biggest concern is current drain from keeping the ECU powered up. I killed the battery of a BMW R1150R I had, due to that issue.

Ellen

EllenGtrGrl

Congrats and a warm welcome to cold Milwaukee 🌞. I have same issues with the weather here and can't wait riding the new bike.

Cool! Another Harleylander (to those of you not in the know, I say that because when riding season arrives, most of the motorcycles you see and hear around here, are Harleys [I live about 10 miles from their corporate office] - you should be around here, when the Harley anniversary celebrations are going on [they do it every 5 years - the next one is in 2021], when it's wall-to-wall Harleys!). I'm a lifelong resident of Wisconsin (I moved here 16 years ago, after I got corporate downsized out of my job), so I'm well aware of the cold weather issues riders have to deal with living on the Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin. Believe it or not, we're considered one of the five coldest states in the US. :D

Luckily for me, I live only a couple of miles east of the Waukesha County line, and its wonderful riding roads, in Greenfield. BTW, where did you get your FTR 1200 from? Indian Motorcycle of Racine (I work in the Racine area, and one of my coworkers mentions them on occasion - they have bands play in their parking lot in the summertime [I saw an ex-coworker of mine sing with her band during one of the dealership's shindigs]), or Indian Motorcycle of Metro Milwaukee, which is in Muskego, and is where I bought my FTR 1200 (I rode the backroads all the way there and back [when I went to pick up my FTR 1200] to minimize freezing from the wind blast)?

Ellen

Murdock

Cool! Another Harleylander
Oh sorry, this was a missunderstanding. Just wanted to say that we have cold and wet weather here, too. And "here" means in my case Germany ;-).
But the next Harley dealer and customizer (Thunderbike) is just 2 kilometers away from me and is a well known meeting point on weekends for Harleys and others. So yes, I am also a Harleylander :).

EllenGtrGrl

Well, here's plain looking lil' ol' me with my FTR 1200 on Saturday, when I took it home. The saleswoman who sold it to me at Indian Motorcycles of Metro Milwaukee, took a photo of me with my bike, and e-mailed it to me today. I usually wear a motorcycle jacket with back, shoulder and elbow armor in it, but it was too cold for that, so I wore my winter jacket and a windbreaker instead.

49646186582_746a581ded_c.jpg

Last edited:

mark.lb

Very nice bike! Hopefully Millwaukee gets some warm weather so you can make friends with your new FTR!

EllenGtrGrl

Very nice bike! Hopefully Millwaukee gets some warm weather so you can make friends with your new FTR!

On an outside chance, I might be able to take the FTR for a spin tomorrow - 58F temps., BUT a 50% chance of rain. If it stays dry, I'll take it out tomorrow after work, to put some miles on it.