Oil Cooler Removal

Cranky

Hi All, New member here.
Has anyone permanently removed the oil cooler ?
Can you just plug the oil cooler ports on the front of the crankcases ?
Is the return line dump into the sump or does it feed into other sections of the lubrication system ?
All replies appreciated.
Thanks

edgelett

I know someone has moved where it's located to allow for a custom exhaust but I don't think they moved it permanently.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If you’re doing it to fit an under bike exhaust. Don’t plug it. You can buy a smaller universal one and mount it under the radiator.

Cranky

If you’re doing it to fit an under bike exhaust. Don’t plug it. You can buy a smaller universal one and mount it under the radiator.
Turning FTR into a dragbike, trying to shed as much weight as possible. Won't be running long enough to need a cooler.

Max Kool

Just have a hose made to replace the oil cooler. This was done before with the 2019 Super Hooligan flat tracker bikes.

pushit

I know someone has moved where it's located to allow for a custom exhaust but I don't think they moved it permanently.
RSD super hooligan ftrs move the exhaust forward, forcing them to move the oil cooler up and sideways. Love the way this exhaust looks, I wish someone would make something for the 22s+

Attachments

• indian-super-hooligan-ftr---front-right.jpg
    indian-super-hooligan-ftr---front-right.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 18

edgelett

RSD super hooligan ftrs move the exhaust forward, forcing them to move the oil cooler up and sideways. Love the way this exhaust looks, I wish someone would make something for the 22s+
bloke from Tasmania made himself a full custom exhaust and moved his oil cooler.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You can get the same guy to make you this exhaust. But you have to relocate the oil cooler, battery, and all electronics to run it.

No one is going to make this exhaust a bolt on “production” exhaust due to how much else needs modified.

American

Do you know the main benefit for the race bike in having the longer exhaust tubes?
Is it just ground clearance or maybe extra TQ?

Staedtler

Definitely improves ground clearance, longer primaries normally improve torque too but at the expense of power, so would be a balancing act