Radiator replacement

Coming from a pretty extensive racing background (cars), it is well known that water cools better than an antifreeze mixture. But you don't need it if your bike doesn't overheat. If you use pure water, you need an anti-corrosive additive.

I ride in Las Vegas when the temps are well over 100 degrees. Have not overheated yet.

K9F

For my personal clarification what is classed as an 'overheat?'

Surely if the system is controlling on the thermostat and even if the fan is on most of the time in hot weather these are not overheat conditions?

Are overheat conditions where the bike shuts down for safety, the cap/radiator over-pressure operates and/or you are engulfed in steam?

S2Davies

well all I can say is I've removed my radiator cap at full running temperature with not even a hiss, needless to say, I haven't tried that with conventional coolant! I can only comment on my experience. As for my boiling comment, there will be localised boiling behind the hottest part of a four stroke where the water jacket is closest to the back of the exhaust valves. I'm happy with my choice and it works very well for me.

K9F

Normal antifreeze has anti corrosion properties/additive included. Whilst it does degrade and become more acidic over time as long as it is replaced at specific intervals you should have no worries whatsoever. Wonder how many of the vintage bikes still on the road today use what in my opinion may be a slight case of 'snake oil?'

Yours

'Still to be Convinced.' ;)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah just how he throws in “we run wilwood brakes on all our stuff, they are fantastic” every chance he gets, even if the car they are showcasing doesn’t have them.

Charliemurphay

In the realm of keeping cool, does anyone know if the temps that the fan comes on and off at is changeable via a PV3 or whatever? There are times where I’d actually like it to stay on (stop and go traffic) instead of cycling on and off.

K9F

Page 605 of the FTR Service Manual indicates there's a two pin ECT Engine Coolant Temperature connector. Things being as they are with CanBus I'd wager unlike days of old where you could wire in a switch to activate the fan at will this will be no longer the case as all signals are low voltage and processed by an ECM.

Love jugs could be the answer to all your dreams?😂🤣

Love Jugs (love-jugs.com)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
In the realm of keeping cool, does anyone know if the temps that the fan comes on and off at is changeable via a PV3 or whatever? There are times where I’d actually like it to stay on (stop and go traffic) instead of cycling on and off.

yes. But Ryan actually raises the temp as to when they come on. There is no reason to have them come on early before the tstat opens. You’re Just blowing hot air on yourself for no reason.

For my personal clarification what is classed as an 'overheat?'

Surely if the system is controlling on the thermostat and even if the fan is on most of the time in hot weather these are not overheat conditions?

Are overheat conditions where the bike shuts down for safety, the cap/radiator over-pressure operates and/or you are engulfed in steam?
Overheating can be observed if the bike gets so hot the radiator boils over. Overheating is generally thought of as 230 degrees and possible damage at 245 degrees. If you see your temp go over 215 degrees, something is wrong. I don't know if there is a safety built into our bikes that will shut it down at a certain temperature. If your fan is working, you shouldn't go over 210 degrees. It was 110 here in Las Vegas today and the fan would bring the temp down to 205 when stopped and below 195 when moving.

Reactions: K9F