Ready to put together my perfect FTR 1200

Hey folks,

I've been back from Daytona Beach bike week for about 2 weeks now. I'm sitting about 3500 miles; currently my bike looks like the attached pic right? Well that was purely because I was going to take a long trip that I put the Puig screen on; and while I'm going to keep it for when I wanna use it; tomorrow I'll be taking it off along with swapping the stock mirrors with some "Bar End" Mirrors made of Chinesium I bought for $15 a pair lol.

I'm putting together a list of basically my absolute TOP 5 mods to make this bike more of the ultimate "Street Fighter" I see it as in my head. And a HUGE part of that is getting rid of those stock knobbies. I mean for the trip to Daytona Beach they were fine; I needed a reason to wear them out too so 3500 miles on them so far and a couple burnouts I'm actually impressed how they've lasted but they just don't' grip for shit. And yes I know the FTR's have enough torque to spin any tire but these are just awful compared to some of the Metzler's and Pirelli's I've ridden on Super Sport bikes; hell even my old commuter, an RC 390 came stock with Metzlers that were SUPER grippy; they barely lasted 3200 miles but damn they did work well.

So I'm wanting to spend no more than about $1,000 USD to make this bike my kind of street fighter. That means: (Also, Disclaimer: I'm well aware it'll cost me more than $1k most likely to do it right but; I'm sure there are some decent deals on SOME of these items I can find.)

1. Tires - I'd love to hear your suggestion on what's a great daily driver tire, because I put about 7500 miles a year typically on my last bike. But I've jump started that with the FL trip. My ideal tire is a mix between decent life and decent grip, doesn't have to be the stickiest thing on earth, I like to slide a little, but I’d like it to last. ANY tire is going to change the entire look of the bike. So I cannot wait to get these Knobbies off.
2. Exhaust - I have the TOCE Low 2-into-1 in mind; but when I bought my DynoJet Tuner it also came w/ a Cat-Delete Link Pipe, I haven't put it on yet because I may just go full TOCE system. Any other good suggestions? I'm about sound yes; but I'm really about making as much power as I can with a full exhaust system and a good tune.
3. Tuner (Already have the DynoJet from FuelMoto, so that's taken care of and also takes care of any future mods that'll require additional tuning)
4. Seat (The 2400 I spent nearly killed me lol; I bought a Harley Air bag seat cover just to make it through the ride back) But I never plan on actually driving the bike that far again; I'll trailer it if it's over 300-500 miles. So I was looking into a good looking seat that'll go with the color scheme of the base, and I want to accent the bike a bit with purple I think.
5. Suspension - HyperPro has a Purple Spring replacement for the stock shock that I REALLY like... IF I go with that; that'll mean I have to stick with the purple theme and make sure I don't clash with it, it's also my favorite color.

Special Mention: Carbon Wheels - Now these are so expensive they aren't really apart of the list but; I've been looking more and more into BST wheels, their competitors and the kind of difference on rotational mass it makes on a bike. Especially a bike like ours that's just so wild and weight savings on big bikes really add up. I really would like to find the best exhaust I can though for power.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FTR_Ducati.jpg
    FTR_Ducati.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Charliemurphay

Reference this thread for tires:

I’m running Continental Road Attack 3’s and they are far and away much better than the stock tires. I’m not a tracker either (at least not yet).
As far as seat, I have. Saddlemen with gold threading. I don’t know if they offer purple threading but that might be what you’re looking for. Only downside to color is they make them to order and it took about two months to get mine. Also they are not cheap. I love the seat itself, it initially feels harder than the stock seat but it’s way more supportive and conforming. Uses something like 3 different density foams and a gel layer as well. Corbin makes a seat too but I’ve read less than stellar reviews on it.

Reference this thread for tires:

I’m running Continental Road Attack 3’s and they are far and away much better than the stock tires. I’m not a tracker either (at least not yet).
As far as seat, I have. Saddlemen with gold threading. I don’t know if they offer purple threading but that might be what you’re looking for. Only downside to color is they make them to order and it took about two months to get mine. Also they are not cheap. I love the seat itself, it initially feels harder than the stock seat but it’s way more supportive and conforming. Uses something like 3 different density foams and a gel layer as well. Corbin makes a seat too but I’ve read less than stellar reviews on it.
Yes this is exactly what I needed; thanks so much

edgelett

ah now I've read this thread, your other post makes more sense.
Fuel Moto don't have a tune for the Toce. Yet. Lloyds do.
However, that doesn't mean they CAN'T get one - it just means you will need to log rides for them, and send them the data, so they can work on a tune for you.

ah now I've read this thread, your other post makes more sense.
Fuel Moto don't have a tune for the Toce. Yet. Lloyds do.
However, that doesn't mean they CAN'T get one - it just means you will need to log rides for them, and send them the data, so they can work on a tune for you.
Well I actually didn't know that before hand; I was pretty deadset on the TOCE until last night I got a wild hair in me and ended up ordering the Bassani 4-inch Megaphone Catless muffler.. it'll save about 9.5 lb's according to most Youtube videos and I've already gotten the tune sent over from FM, just waiting on the exhaust at this point.

But I took the windshield off today; took the stock mirrors off, and put on bar end mirrors. I really couldn't think of a good way to block them off though. I need to just get the right size bolts and put them in the old Mirror spots. Also SUPER detailed it all, first real clean in 2600 miles...

Attachments

• 3-20-21.jpg
    3-20-21.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 3-20-21_2.jpg
    3-20-21_2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17

edgelett

Nice- FM have a good tune for the Bassani from what people have said.
i love my Toce though haha.

with your stock mirror clamps, just turn them upside down. then they won't bother you at all ;)
looks better without the windshield in my opinion

Nice- FM have a good tune for the Bassani from what people have said.
i love my Toce though haha.

with your stock mirror clamps, just turn them upside down. then they won't bother you at all ;)
looks better without the windshield in my opinion
Oh really? I haven't looked much up on their tune I was honestly a little worried. Everyone loves Lloyds so much I thought I'd screwed up by buying Fuel Moto's. The stock bike tune that I'm running now which is just their basic tune on a completely stock bike is fine; it certainly cold fires a little easier and dies less during warm up but I'm really curious if this de-cat and backpressure reduction w/ the tune will wake it up more. Today I got on it in first gear kind of hard not thinking about it; and it just lifted right up... it's been a while since I've had a bike that could pop up with pure power on the snap of a wrist without even thinking.

I agree about the windshield tho; definitely was for the Daytona Beach trip; but now I have it and all the hardware if I ever take it a long distance again. Today I was doing 70-80 with it off and honestly it doesn't help as much as i thought it did hahah.

edgelett

Oh really? I haven't looked much up on their tune I was honestly a little worried. Everyone loves Lloyds so much I thought I'd screwed up by buying Fuel Moto's. The stock bike tune that I'm running now which is just their basic tune on a completely stock bike is fine; it certainly cold fires a little easier and dies less during warm up but I'm really curious if this de-cat and backpressure reduction w/ the tune will wake it up more. Today I got on it in first gear kind of hard not thinking about it; and it just lifted right up... it's been a while since I've had a bike that could pop up with pure power on the snap of a wrist without even thinking.

I agree about the windshield tho; definitely was for the Daytona Beach trip; but now I have it and all the hardware if I ever take it a long distance again. Today I was doing 70-80 with it off and honestly it doesn't help as much as i thought it did hahah.
If you went with the Toce full system then yes I would agree you screwed up by getting FM - because Ryan at Toce worked closely with Ryan Randall to get the best power from the combination of exhaust and tune.
But with Bassani exhaust, I think most people with an FM tune are happy with it.

yeah wind at freeway speeds is negligible but for a long trip it would be helpful.